DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/2 - 8/8/2023

Dolfan in NYC

That parking lot brawl was some violent shit. Loved it.

Also love the fact Chuck was rocking some old Best Friends merch (and also an underrated shirt in terms of wrestling merch). It even has Statlander and Yuta on it. Speaking of which, Yuta just needs and absolute whooping.

• Like 2

You know, BCC's whole thing is supposed to be, "If you bleed with us, we can respect you." This worked for Yoots, even seemingly worked for Don Callis, and honestly should be acknowledged with their issues with The Elite. Best Friends being the latest iron to sharpen the iron is pretty cool, especially if something comes from it - but I feel like they have to acknowledge the mutual bloodletting at SOME point to tie it all together. 

...and then have HoB beat the ever loving piss out of BCC 😇

• Like 3

That was definitely a top 5 Rampage. Only the debut episode and the "oops all non-AEW title matches" episode can compete. Even the QTV promo was great. "Who should feud with next?" "House of Black?" "Someone that won't kill us..."

The parking lot brawl was good stuff. I was kinda hoping the Best Friends would get to keep this as "their match," but it makes sense that BCC would excel in it, and they built up a really strong heel win that built off the previous parking lot and arcade brawl matches the Best Friends won. It'll be interesting to see what the Lucha Bros have in store on Dynamite.

• Like 1

Metalik vs Jay White added to tonight's Collision.

Also, this:

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

FTR match was good, everything else was skippable

Feels like we're headed towards CMFTR vs. The Elite for the trios titles at All Out

Neither of them are trios champs….

7 minutes ago, just drew said:

Neither of them are trios champs….

CMFTR beats HOB on Collision next week for the titles

Young Bucks put over FTR clean at Wembley

The Elite beats CMFTR in Chicago for the trios titles

Everyone's happy, a thousand comedy "everyone bites each other" spots are performed

No money is drawn

Edited by Dolphman 3000

I kinda wanna watch this episode over again, I was distracted a bit by reading various things, but I caught most of the show

- Big Bill's big boot/front kick is the best in the business right now, and he was tossing people around like nothing. The dude is really oozing charisma these days too, and if they turn him he'll be a huge babyface. Cage wearing Fighting Illini colors on his makeup amused me. From what I watched they had a good match with FTR who were good old FTR as usual. 

- Mercedes/Stat was a bit slow and ponderous but hard hitting enough. Mercedes busted out a Spider German! Stat/Willow vs. Mercedes/Diamante was set up for next week so we have the Battle of the Chins (Kris and Diamante). As long as they raise the pace it should eclipse this match and be quite good. 

- Christian told security that a little girl bugging him "didn't have clearance" and to kick her out of the venue! What a maroon. 

- Serpentico tapped in seconds, Joe wants Punk at Wembley. Put one on the list, Dolfan

- Hot DAMN does the House of Black whip fucking ass on the young boys. Every strike from all three of those guys, particularly Malakai, looks life-ending dangerous. The youngins respond with cool high spots to try and counter and gain control, but they keep getting shut down over and over by HOB. Such a good trio... Buddy is great glue and Brody is the beast of all beasts. CMFTR is announced to face them which is gonna rule rule rule. This is the match though for right now, right here. 

- From what I watched Metalik basically did nothing. Juicey Boy yelling outside is fun. "EY, TAKE OFF EEEZ MASK"

- I watched maybe less of Punk/Starks but it seemed like they were doing Punk's back-to-basics solid wrestling match formula. They decided to book it exactly the opposite as I would, but I'm not the one with a show given to them as basically his own solo venture, so... 

• Like 2

FTR match was fun because it was very different with them against two huge dudes. They gave a ton and barely got the win. I didn’t hate Cage in this match, wrestling like a strong dude who can also do a nice dropkick and then let him have one big spot could work. Big Bill has top heel potential. Who called FTR-Bucks at Wembley?

Samoa Joe killing Serpentico in 10 seconds works I guess. Trying to figure out what the stipulation for Joe-Punk at Wembley will be. 

HOB gave way more to the thrown together little guys than they did The Acclaimed. Too much IMO. I guess Shotty got some home area rub from that, too bad they sent his fiancé to the back.

Mercedes carried that women’s match, took a while to get there but good match and the ending was a setup for a good tag match. Stat still working off rust?

Jay White-Metalik was a nothing match focused on all the ringside nonsense and stooging.

I thought the main was great. Punk has really done a ton to help cement Starks at superstar level. Most of the match was old school, could easily have fit in the early ‘90s. Punches, kicks, arm drags, avoiding opponents finisher, stealing taunts, stalling outside, biggest move was the superplex. Should have expected the finish would be a schmozz, but the way it led to Starks massive full heel turn ruled. Whipping Steamboat with a belt like Flair would do. Good stuff, let’s see where they go next!

Toni Storm interview was weird. Acclaimed sit down was well done and emotional. Juice Robinson is channeling every obnoxious Jack Black character x 100.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Only person to pin Punk in AEW other than Mox and MJF and he just whipped Ricky Steamboat. He’s fine. 

You're probably not wrong. I just hate that old wrestling mindset of "just being in the ring with Edge/Undertaker/HHH/HBK/Orton/Cena elevates Bray/Wade Barrett/Ziggler/Rusev/Bryan." They have a bonafide star with Ricky. I'd love to see them take that last step with him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, just drew said:

You're probably not wrong. I just hate that old wrestling mindset of "just being in the ring with Edge/Undertaker/HHH/HBK/Orton/Cena elevates Bray/Wade Barrett/Ziggler/Rusev/Bryan." They have a bonafide star with Ricky. I'd love to see them take that last step with him.

I’d like him to win a real belt. Let him run with the TV title.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I don’t think that’s the mindset. It’s having the guy show up week in and week out in important stuff, mixing it up with top guys and getting licks in so as not to be completely diminished by any loss here and there. Thus far, he’s seemingly an inner circle made guy among Colliders, and if Punk has his say then he’s probably getting a fair shake. Firmly believe Collision has been better for him than any of the Jericho stuff, even if he walked away from that with the W. Nothing as red hot as the promo with MJF yet, but he’s getting top guy shit so far.

I’m also fully drinking the Collision Kool-Aid, so take that into account. 

• Like 2