DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

This shit kind of reminds me of those stories you hear about Dean Harmon when he was the show runner for “Community.” Nobody cared that he was a weird sex pest when he alienated Chevy Chase, because Fletch 1.0 was a boorish asshole. But eventually the juice stopped being worth the squeeze with him. I wonder at what point the same becomes true for Noble Phillingham. (Yes, that’s a Walker Texas Ranger shout in 2023)

25 minutes ago, just drew said:

This shit kind of reminds me of those stories you hear about Dean Harmon when he was the show runner for “Community.” Nobody cared that he was a weird sex pest when he alienated Chevy Chase, because Fletch 1.0 was a boorish asshole. But eventually the juice stopped being worth the squeeze with him. I wonder at what point the same becomes true for Noble Phillingham. (Yes, that’s a Walker Texas Ranger shout in 2023)

Chevy Chase wanted his character on Community to be less racist, and when he left a voicemail for Dan Harmon referring to his character's lines as "n****r jokes", Harmon released the voicemail publicly and said "lol listen to this, Chevy's a racist because he said the n-word!"

Chevy was morally trying to do the right thing, but fucked up by using the old-timey term for racist jokes

Not sure what this has to do with AEW

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Tony's going to buy the trademark for "Xplosion" from Impact and give Hangman his own show on Tuesday nights

Page, Virginia Hangman would be a pretty baller millennial version of Walker, Texas Ranger. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Chevy Chase wanted his character on Community to be less racist, and when he left a voicemail for Dan Harmon referring to his character's lines as "n****r jokes", Harmon released the voicemail publicly and said "lol listen to this, Chevy's a racist because he said the n-word!"

Chevy was morally trying to do the right thing, but fucked up by using the old-timey term for racist jokes

Not sure what this has to do with AEW

Maybe I did a poor job explaining it. Or maybe it only makes sense to me. Or maybe it's Maybelline.

25 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Highly recommend everyone stop talking about Dan Harmon and Chevy Chase, and go watch the new Fletch movie. Juice those numbers, we need five sequels.

Holy shit, man! That's been in development hell since the late 90s, at least - I recall Kevin Smith (who was attached at one time apparently) recounting a painful dinner with Chase in an early-2000s blog post about how it was probably never gonna get off the ground.

15 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Holy shit, man! That's been in development hell since the late 90s, at least - I recall Kevin Smith (who was attached at one time apparently) recounting a painful dinner with Chase in an early-2000s blog post about how it was probably never gonna get off the ground.

Oh I’m aware of the many failed attempts to get a new Fletch movie off the ground. Probably not a great sign for my desire for sequels that you don’t know that I’m talking about Confess, Fletch (2022), starring Jon Hamm as Fletch. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Oh I’m aware of the many failed attempts to get a new Fletch movie off the ground. Probably not a great sign for my desire for sequels that you don’t know that I’m talking about Confess, Fletch (2022), starring Jon Hamm as Fletch. 😞 

Forgive me if this is another 'wrestling bubble ' moment by me, but literally the first I'm hearing of it - will def scope it out!

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm still mad about getting robbed of a Jason Lee Fletch.

I'm still thrilled about getting robbed of a Zach Braff Fletch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Forgive me if this is another 'wrestling bubble ' moment by me, but literally the first I'm hearing of it - will def scope it out!

You're doing just fine, it's a failing on the studios behind the movie that more people haven't heard of it, seen it, and loved it. There should be a groundswell demanding this shit takes up the next decade of Jon Hamm's life. And Drew gave me an excuse to bring it up! 

• Like 2

Worth noting that the most recent reporting says that Hangman wasn't kicked out of the building but they just needed to do the shoot in an external location for story reasons. 

Back to the center though...

Again, we don't know what we don't know (which feels like 2023's "in my opinion" speaking of potential filters), but it sure feels like Punk is in a way stronger position than he was, let's say, five months ago. The world had more or less moved on from him at that point. A lot more of the roster was healthy. There was no Collision that he had to anchor. It was sort of "Believe it when we see it" when it came to him coming back. Yes, live attendance was an issue, but other than that...

Now? Collision is such a weird thing. It's pacing is so disciplined (especially relatively) that with every week, it feels slowly and surely like more of an established thing, like more of an alternative, like something with its own hallmarks and norms. Anyone who's been watching wrestling for long enough probably gets a weird "Kip Frey era WCW" or "Bill Watts month WWF" feel from it, where it's too good to last and it'll all blow up in a month or two, tops. 

But if it doesn't, he's not going to LOSE power here. He's just going to gain a bunch of guys that are his guys, whose pushes and well-being are tied closely to his show. People are going to note the start-stop nature of Dynamite pushes and will want to be part of this, even if it means more headache and politics. If the slow and steady approach keeps the ratings stable, even with football coming back in fall.. 

Basically, if it doesn't blow up in the next month or two, especially as they get towards the moment of contract renewal, Punk's going to be more ingrained in the company than ever. It's not a matter of "how long will Khan put up with this?" It's kind of the opposite.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Basically, if it doesn't blow up in the next month or two, especially as they get towards the moment of contract renewal, Punk's going to be more ingrained in the company than ever. It's not a matter of "how long will Khan put up with this?" It's kind of the opposite.

I think Punk expected Omega/Hangman/Bucks to leave the company, and now that they've decided to stick around, he's going to make their lives difficult

• Like 1

If I were Nemeth, and everything out in the newz-o-sphere right now were true, I'd give Punk both barrels on Twitter and dare AEW to drop him. Worst comes to worst, I'm sure TNA would pick him up. Punk getting triggered and proving he is indeed the softest man alive by unloading on someone with zero power is something that is too good to not share. 

And before someone says "he's right about potentially messing up a reconciliation," I'd think "Counterfeit Bucks" and "Peg Warmer Page" are a lot more likely to do that. 

• Like 4

The stories saying Punk was aggressive and demanding that Nemeth say it to his face describe the vibe as strange and off-putting. Not scary or potentially violent. 

Was it both Nemeth brothers who are strong NCAA wrestlers, or just Dolph?