DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

28 minutes ago, mystman said:

Kingston 

I had that thought too yesterday chatting w Curt about it, but I just felt like it runs the risk of being 'already treaded land' with them just having touched on a lot of the same beats in the build to the Forbidden Door 8 man last month - though I will say, I do like the idea of Mox/Kingston being in this sort of never-ending, Sami/KO-type state of intertwinedness. If there's a way to make it work logically, I'm fully onboard. 

11 minutes ago, matt925 said:

They just had sabu out there. I’m sure if Jerry Lynn gestured to the back and rvd came out it would get a monster pop. 

Not sure if he can still go, but figured I'd interject that he's in the WWE game this year, which usually means Legends deal. (Somehow Jake Roberts is too, though, so ya never know).

• Like 2

Is Tajiri still active, come to think?

I mean, realistically, it’s probably  RVD.  Hopefully Mike Rukus comes up with something good, so we don’t have to hear that bloody Kushinator song again.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is Tajiri still active, come to think?

I mean, realistically, it’s probably  RVD.  Hopefully Mike Rukus comes up with something good, so we don’t have to hear that bloody Kushinator song again.

Both Tajiri and Super Crazy are still active.

If you're gonna bring in RVD just nut up and pay for "Walk"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Both Tajiri and Super Crazy are still active.

If you're gonna bring in RVD just nut up and pay for "Walk"

There's no way that TK brings in RVD and doesn't pay for Walk unless Pantera wants a billion dollars for it or something.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

An incomplete list of other ECW folks who have wrestled in the last year or so:

Pablo Marquez
Rodney Mack
Nova
Blue Meanie
Little Guido
Cham Pain
DeVito
Danny Doring
Chris Hamrick
HC Loc
Mr Aguila

Way more than I would have thought were still at least semi-active.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

How about Ian Rotten?

*laughs convulsively*

Has not wrestled since 2021 (un?)fortunately.

I can't lie I would be kinda into throwing Perry into a Taipei death match just to see what happens.

Edited by Zimbra

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Has not wrestled since 2001 (un?)fortunately.

I can't lie I would be kinda into throwing Perry into a Taipei death match just to see what happens.

Ian wrestled quite a lot post-2001.

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As someone said on Twiiter, it's like if someone from the AWA had come out to confront Randy Orton in 2007. 

Randy Orton vs Greg Gagne would've put asses in seats.

33 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Pablo Marquez
Rodney Mack
Nova
Blue Meanie
Little Guido
Cham Pain
DeVito
Danny Doring
Chris Hamrick
HC Loc
Mr Aguila

Way more than I would have thought were still at least semi-active.

Here's hoping Jerry Lynn brings in Chilly Willy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As someone said on Twiiter, it's like if someone from the AWA had come out to confront Randy Orton in 2007. 

Yeah, I was already kinda eh on the angle and then they're forcing in an ECW legends angle in the year 2023. Hard pass for me.

• Like 1

MJF as a face promo has some Rock qualities. The Dax bit was about the best that style can get.

That was Max’s fist mention of Punk since the return and I have to think whatever happens on Collision leads to MJF/Punk at one of the big shows. Best path forward imo is keeping MJF/Cole together and running that friends fight for the title match at All In leading to Punk/MJF at All Out.

Swerve finally getting a high profile singles win. Loved that match and everything around it.  Build up in the opener was fun and the AR turn was well done, but not a fan of random title shots for guys who aren’t established. Just make it an eliminator. 

Didn’t watch the rest of the show and sounds like that was the right idea. Whatever booking collaboration goes on between Tony and Mox…. not a fan of it. Feels like this whole BCC run has been underwhelming and there is really no good reason for that.  Hoping this OC feud turns it around.

• Like 2

Britt Baker needs a vacation. Just to go freshen herself up, take time off, I dunno. She has been consistently awful lately, and this match against Taya might have been the biggest example of that. Six months off to go rest up and refresh herself would do her a world of good before the backlash against her turns into a tidal wave (if that hasn't already started).

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Swerve finally getting a high profile singles win. Loved that match and everything around it.  Build up in the opener was fun and the AR turn was well done, but not a fan of random title shots for guys who aren’t established. Just make it an eliminator.

To be fair, Darby asked if Orange could face AR since Orange has the constant open challenge going. And it isn't like AR hasn't had title shots before (trios shots in both AEW and ROH)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Britt Baker needs a vacation. Just to go freshen herself up, take time off, I dunno. She has been consistently awful lately, and this match against Taya might have been the biggest example of that. Six months off to go rest up and refresh herself would do her a world of good before the backlash against her turns into a tidal wave (if that hasn't already started).

...Britt's only worked 13 matches this year.

Whoever suggested Britt vs. Jade at All In...lol. Unless Britt goes over clean in 2 minutes, she'll never go for that. Jade having her own title on Friday nights was the original "the locker room can't get along" half-measure in AEW

Edited by Dolphman 3000

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Midway through..

• Fox vs Cassidy was smooth and full of some great counters. I wouldn't want to see that specific pairing every week but as a one time thing I enjoyed it a lot. Great emotion out of Fox post match as you could just see him seething. 
  • The Perry stuff worked ok and the fans went up for the ECW ideal but I'm not sure what the payoff is here. I loved Perry coming out in orange and black. He really needs the 90210 theme yesterday.
  • Britt's promo was kind of painful but it was interesting that she noted that TBS was named for her when that was Jade's thing. That would be a good "cold" All In match that would feel big.
  • MJF killed Dax dead. He should wrestle with a big chip on his shoulder on Saturday. I'm curious where the Roddy stuff is going. FOR INSTANCE, you could do a deal where Roddy helps Cole beat MJF against Cole's wishes and then where does the story go from there? That sort of drama might actually draw...
  • I liked a lot of the specific moments of Gravity vs PAC. Gravity's slow walking thing cracks me up for some reason. Transitions were kind of weak in the match though. They went to commercial with Gravity in charge and then PAC just rushed in and got a shot in and took over so he could control during the break. Really needed one more go around at the end where Gravity got a nearfall or something. It's just the expectation of the house style. When that's not there, a match seems lesser. That's ok if you really want to put over a guy or a story (like House of Black beating Acclaimed/Gunn without that last rotation to show Gunn as weak).

The 90210 theme would obviously be hilarious, but how on earth can you not love Beethoven's 5th!?! 

I want to be with you on Gravity's slow walk, but it's dying an unruly death out there. Kinda surprising how many ppl were expecting something special from Gravity v Pac? Not to say Pac can't carry a guy, but for all of 5 of us watching ROH weekly it's clear GRAV is green as grass. He's clearly athletically gifted, but has a ways to go.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Pablo Marquez
Rodney Mack
Nova
Blue Meanie
Little Guido
Cham Pain
DeVito
Danny Doring
Chris Hamrick
HC Loc
Mr Aguila

Mr Aguila? What does Chris Hamrick look like in 2023. He may have just slipped passed Van Dam and Tajiri into my number 1 hopeful. But surely, there's room for a short RVD run. Hope that potential legends deal doesn't get in the way.

1 hour ago, Jrag said:

Didn’t watch the rest of the show and sounds like that was the right idea. Whatever booking collaboration goes on between Tony and Mox…. not a fan of it. Feels like this whole BCC run has been underwhelming and there is really no good reason for that.  Hoping this OC feud turns it around.

Wha? BCC's recent run includes a pretty excellent B&G bout, fun 6 and 8 mans vs the Hung Bucks, Chaos, Bandido/Lucha Bros, Bandido/Besties, and one of the best Forbidden Door matches v Elite/Kingston/Ishii. This run also includes Mox v Ishii and Claudio v Pac. Wait, what run are we talking because before that they had an Anarchy in the Arena match with the Elite that was pretty fucking rad - mind you, on mute due to that beyond shitty blackface led band for the first however many minutes). And that's before even mentioning the fucking awesome promos week to week. Especially high marks for Danielson's 'we are professionals' after returning to the fold and brutally spiking Hangman in the eye with a screwdriver. All that to say, strong disagree.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Mr Aguila? What does Chris Hamrick look like in 2023. He may have just slipped passed Van Dam and Tajiri into my number 1 hopeful. But surely, there's room for a short RVD run. Hope that potential legends deal doesn't get in the way.

He looks old as shit but he's still out there doing the Hamrick bump.

E:

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 3

I still think Britt is fucked up and is working through and injury. She's definitely not at 100%. I think one of her first matches back this year after that long layoff where she was just seconding Hayter she looked rough. I think the women's division is strong enough to allow her to take some time off even if she's one of the bigger draws in that division. Let someone else get that over while she's out.

And I thought Dynamite was fine. I definitely didn't think it was a bad episode or anything. It felt like a cruise control episode with a few exceptions. 

As for BCC, yeah, something about them just isn't clicking. They're very Stop the Matsunaga-lite except they've lost three times in a row now. They're main thing is that they're just a bunch of dickheads running around beating people up. Danielson tried to give them a reason for what they were doing by saying everyone else was amateurs, but now he's on the shelf. Their shtick of just being assholes isn't quite working. Pairing up Moxley and OC is interesting at least because they've never had a program before, but it also feels like a foregone conclusion that Moxley is going to beat OC when I think someone else would be better off winning the title. It also feels like there's some indecision for if the program should be BCC against Best Friends or BCC against Death Triangle. As much as I love Chuck and Trent, they've been booked in nothing angles ever since the street fight, so that's going back a long way. There's just not enough heat there for Chuck and Trent and OC can't carry the load all by himself. It might be better off running with BCC against Death Triangle, except I figured Death Triangle would eventually be out for revenge against the House of Black. That's all moot though if they do run with LFI vs House of Black.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

was Trent suffering from a bout of rosacea on his face or something? 

That was Chuck; he’s had that for a while now.

18 hours ago, JLowe said:

First time I saw AR Fox do that parkour run up the ring post flip back flip spot I jumped off the couch yelling “holy shit”. He also did some new (to me) innovative spot off the top rope in the corner late in the match.

The springboard seated Spanish Fly thing?  That’s “Lo Mein Pain.”

4 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Pretty sure she’s had an ongoing back problem.  She really should just take time off and get whatever care she needs.  That match was rough.

Makes sense Fox turned to join Swerve.  They fought together in Afghanistan.

I read a lot of the roster was on vacation with this being one of the last opportunities to do so before AEW gets really busy again.  Jericho’s stuff, for example, was taped last week.

MJF ripping Dax’s corny promos was wonderful.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5