DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Last night’s Rampage is a great example of why Rampage should be taped before Dynamite instead of after. You lose the ability to set things up for Rampage on Dynamite but you also avoid a situation like this week where Statlander vs. Shafir is the main event in the building after everyone has already seen Blood and Guts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RefMattyD570 said:

Last night’s Rampage is a great example of why Rampage should be taped before Dynamite instead of after. You lose the ability to set things up for Rampage on Dynamite but you also avoid a situation like this week where Statlander vs. Shafir is the main event in the building after everyone has already seen Blood and Guts. 

I enjoyed the ladies' match (Marina has really, really improved offensively, save for a couple of awkward moments) but have to agree here, and I've been thinking this for a long time now. Especially for such a marquee Dynamite. I keep thinking back to Rampage Grand Slam last year, Starks v Hobbs, Id say a solid 80% of us in the building left. And with the advent of Collision, it makes less and less sense every week. If you absolutely have to 'set up' anything for Rampage, do it in a backstage vignette or Renee interview that only airs to the home audience. Or alternatively, find a small/intimate venue in or nearby whatever city Collision is in the following day, like a 8-1200 seater, jack the ticket prices way up, throw a bunch of workrate matches out there with like an Orange Cassidy main event, and see if it makes any financial sense to do live. PWG on cable.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Though, with regard to the last idea, Id have to imagine they weighed such an option for ROH and figured out a studio show was cheaper - but, that's without the TV rights to offset the expedenture

16 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

They have to do an interview segment where Renee asks Gravity how he feels about making his AEW debut against Pac, and he says "Who?"

This just reminds me of a random weekly WWE TV match where I want to say Kofi faced PAC and Woods is outside yelling at PAC "I'ma call gravity on you Neville!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I just realised, last night's Rampage, the main event was Kris Stat vs Marina Shafir. For the TBS title. On Rampage, which is on TBS.

They finally got the belts on the actual TV proper channels.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I just realised, last night's Rampage, the main event was Kris Stat vs Marina Shafir. For the TBS title. On Rampage, which is on TBS.

They finally got the belts on the actual TV proper channels.

Rampage is on TNT. I couldn't even tell you the last time the TBS title was on Dynamite (which is on TBS).

Anyone else catch the fuck up in Punk's promo: The Devils DID get out of the first round after beating the vile and loathsome mob across the Hudson who play at The World's Most Overrated Arena.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Rampage is on TNT. I couldn't even tell you the last time the TBS title was on Dynamite (which is on TBS).

A month ago, Stat defended against Taya.

She’s defended it on Dynamite three times, including that one. A few days after she won it, a week later, and then a few weeks after that which was the most recent.

Let us rejoice that Punk has brought back the trunks instead of the terrible looking boxing shorts or whatever they were. I mean, peak Punk is him in the long bois but I’ll settle for the return of the trunks.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Let us rejoice that Punk has brought back the trunks instead of the terrible looking boxing shorts or whatever they were. I mean, peak Punk is him in the long bois but I’ll settle for the return of the trunks.

This has to be a controversial take. Seen tweets praising the shorts from the Kingston match as his #1 look in AEW. 

I mostly appreciate that after fresh looks for every tournament match and the United Center tag, he’ll just come with some random shit he’s owned for a dozen years or so to change things up. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RefMattyD570 said:

You can do some before and some after.  Stat/Shafir could have been before, the stuff for Rampage you set up on Dynamite can be after.

This was probably the weakest Collision so far, and it was still very, very good.   I really wish we could get some of the Dynamite folks, especially Hangman, on a Collision-styled show.  The Dynamite-style is kinda wearing out my welcome with me some, even though I like a lot of the folks on Dynamite.

Opening segment was great. Sometimes it feels like Tony is trying to show he can do classic WWE better than they can.

Juice is just wildly obnoxious, really good at making you want to see him get his ass kicked. Jay White is just one of the best in the world. I think I’d like to see Darius Martin and Jay White go like 15-20 in a singles match.

The Acclaimed-HOB was a weird match and an even weirder post-match. Bowens never even got in the ring. If it means Acclaimed back as a tag then I’m good with it, and nice to see FTR mention they have unfinished business.

Dax being so damned serious is going to be a really good foil for Cole and MJF.

I wasn’t looking forward to Miro but then it was Comoroto and they briefly had a real match and it was pretty cool.

Skye-Taya was a great matchup, with Taya as a perfect big strong mean heel and Skye as the classic small, spunky babyface. They worked really well together, Skye can bump and sell and was willing to get tossed around. Taya, in return, bumped and sold and actually made Skye’s signature spin kick thing look good. And then at the end of the match they started stiffing the shit out of each other. Fun stuff, I might say it was each of their best matches in AEW.

Main over-delivered. Punk is going out of his way to really put Ricky over. Christian still will bump and sell and look like an ass while also being a wily sneaky heel, pairing him with Ricky is actually kind of genius. Darby is Darby, this was actually kind of a break for him as a traditional match instead of being ragdolled around and taking crazy bumps. Possibly the free match of the week, although haven’t caught the ROH zero hour yet.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Anyone else catch the fuck up in Punk's promo: The Devils DID get out of the first round after beating the vile and loathsome mob across the Hudson who play at The World's Most Overrated Arena.

And Christian saying "Dirty Jersey" like it's a bad thing. I don't know, he isn't from here so he doesn't get to say it anyway.

When Collision was announced as being a thing I thought to myself it'd be a "well if I'm free on a Saturday night and it's on I guess I'll watch" but it's been surprisingly solid. Feels like it has regulars that I can look forward to seeing (Miro, House of Black, Andrade, Switchblade), it feels like early AEW where everything had a week to week progression. Being AEW, you can count on one or two really dope matches each week. 

This week's episode brought to you by Teddy Long? FTR bringing up unfinished with The Bucks was intriguing, All In is kind of looming now and they really need to start announcing some matches for it.  

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also, it wouldn't be AEW unless you can barely hear the announcers over the crowd

That’s been an ongoing problem with Collision in particular