DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 6/19 - 6/25/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Summer begins this Wednesday, and Roman Reigns becomes the 5th longest W/WWF/E champ of all time this week. 

But, today is Juneteenth!   So, please enjoy this moment of black history: 

(That NoD shirt at the end is amazing)

• Like 2

Seth Rollins getting the shit beat out of him twice by Finn was a great way to start Raw.

Ciampa/Miz was solid and a nice return for Ciampa. So happy to see Ciampa with his NXT theme back. Thought they gave him a solid return kicking Miz's ass for being such a shitty friend.

KCs vs. Sonya/Chelsea was a short, decent showcase for the KCs. Dug the Karen vid for Chelsea they showed pre match.

Indus Sher vs. Shelton/Cedric was a semi-competitive squash with Shelton and Cedric starting off strong before getting murdered. 

Kaiser/Riddle built into something pretty solid. Dug the post match with Gunther trying to cripple Riddle's leg. 

Alpha Academy vs. Viking Raiders was decent. Dug Maxxine getting in another moment over Valhalla. Was ok with it costing AA the win though I wish it was to a bigger move. Felt weird to see Erik beat Gable with a move he hasn't won with before.

Nattie getting destroyed by Rhea was fine. Dug the confrontation with Raquel backstage. I like them setting up Rhea/Raquel though they really need to do something hype up Raquel more. The woman has lacked any real victories since coming up despite winning the tag titles twice now. Often it just feels like she lacks direction or real character. If only they would have pushed her as heel instead.

Raquel/Trish was surprisingly good. Trish was great be it being cocky as fuck, scared shitless, or flailing and pinballing for Raquel's offense. Kind of dug Becky accidently screwing Raquel over with the dq victory in favor of Trish. 

Bron's interview was good and really makes you think he should already be a part of the Raw roster. Wish they would wait to do this Seth/Bron later with a surprise Bron victory.

Nakamura/Reed was solid stuff even with the screwy aspects surrounding Ricochet.

Judgement Day vs. Cody/Sami/KO was great stuff. Plenty of solid action with Dom being a fantastic heat machine that they used well to draw the crowd in for various moments. Loved seeing them explode every time Dom got even a bit of comeuppance. Pretty sure they straight up chanted "Dom's a pussy" at a few points. Also dug Rhea on the outside with her reactions and cheapshots. Just real good stuff all around and probably the highlight of Raw.

Solid Raw, a bit better balanced between matches and segments than usual though I would have liked a a couple of less screwy finishes.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

LA Knight for Mr. Money in the Bank. YEAH!

I don’t see it unless they decide to have him beat Seth. He’s over with the “Yeah” stuff, but he’s clearly (as are the rest of that field) not getting near Romans belt. Plus I’m not sure he gets cheered over Seth. 

• Like 1

I say this with the caveat that I've only seen clips:

I give Knight a lot of credit for 1.) realizing that there was a hole in the company that he could fill with a derivative act; 2.) Understanding elements of the call and response/catch phrase/timing/tone from previous charismatic talkers and why they got over; and 3.) Being persistent with it, finding a way to accomplish as much as possible with every opportunity he has a mic.

But unless he figures out how to better make it his own, there's a real ceiling on it, even if the company didn't feel like he was getting over "without permission." 

I am at my mother-in-law’s so did not get to watch Raw. I don’t really like LA Knight in the ring but I love his out-of-ring stuff so much. He had some great moments on NXT, including:

1) Fun goofball comedy where he made Cameron Grimes his indentured servant but got played most of the time.

2) This one really funny promo with him in a hot tub with two airhead groupies. 

3) A banger of a face promo when they were going from NXT to NXT 2.0. That one really jumped out at me.

Good for him for getting over like this at the age of 40. He knows what he’s doing with promos. It’s fun to see someone get a break on the big time stage at an advanced age and run with the ball.

• Like 3

I think it's almost worth ignoring LA Knight's age. You could show him to anyone who wasn't aware and they'd think he was in his 30s. LA Knight, to me, is such a throwback wrestler, but in a good way. He's not super athletic, he's very grounded, and he can work a WWE main event style. He's been awesome for so long and now he's so fucking over that I feel like you could add him to the main event mix for a good three years and make a fuckton of money from that guy. I mean, Roman Reigns isn't exactly lighting up the wrestling world with his in ring work. His character work is nearly untouchable. That's what I see in LA Knight.

Now, I don't think you have LA Knight go over Roman, but I do think you could turn Knight and Seth into a modern day Rock/Austin or Cena/Punk or Cena/Orton.

• Like 2

Good NXT tonight but you can tell their building towards the GAB even with these "very special episodes"

Opening match was fun and I know Wes and Bate have a better match in them. Chase U segment was fun. Cora/Dana was ok but I'm not sure I like Cora laughing at opponents. It's almost too childish. Tag match was fun chaos. Not sure about the Tony D/Gallus story playing out with Gallus being snitches but ok I guess.

Gable Steveson sighting! And we're not going to say him and Damon are brothers? I guess so.

Corbin/Melo segment was fun since you don't get to see Baron go off like that too much. Hopefully he'll have real gear for next week.

Can we tell Seth to cool it? Or nah? I don't think he had to do all that for this match. I'm just worried we'll get a repeat where his knee just gave out after wrestling so much like it did years ago.  Another good match that veered into the too many kickouts stage. Overall I'm not sure how they'll introduce characters to the main roster when only 1/3 to 1/2 of your audience watches NXT but that's a bridge to be crossed another day.

• Like 1

Wes/Tyler was entertaining but awkward with hoe Ali was acting. 

The Thea Hail pep rally kind of worked for me and was pretty decent overall. Thea still has no chance in hell at winning, but this was a nice way to make it seem otherwise. 

Briggs/Jensen vs. Enofe/Blade vs. Hank/tank was pretty solid with some nice action and moments coming from all three teams. Happy to see Blade and Enofe get the win.

Kemp challenging Thorpe to a Raw Underground match was weird. Even stranger was seeing Gable Stevenson finally debut to offer training to Thorpe to beat his own brother.

Was nice seeing them acknowledge the student/mentor relationship between Rollins and Frazer.

Cora/Dana was actually a decent match but also a strange combination and sad and hilarious. The crowd went from being kind of meh to Dana to actively hating her after despite Dana trying to persevere through a potential injury. They really need to release Dana at this point. If even the NXT crowd is unwilling to give her a shot then there is no point in keeping her around. Not sure it wouldn't be better for her to try and prove herself in the indies anyways. 

The Corbin/Hayes segment was solid. 

Lash/Jakara vs. Leon/Feroz was short, kind of rough, but also pretty fun overall. Hopefully Leon stays healthy enough to build up something good with Feroz because the potential is there.

Bron/Seth was good. Dug how much Bron did went into working Seth's ribs after the attacks by Balor on Raw. The post match attack form Balor was expected and welcomed. kind of liked Hayes and Trick coming in for the  save though a part of me would have preferred Frazer. 

• Like 2

I normally hate everything associated with Baron Corbin but that was about the best promo he's ever cut.  He nearly buried 'Melo.

Nice to see them selling Thea Hail as a legit contender even though she has no chance of winning.  Tiffany Stratton looks and works like a champion.  They won't take the belt off of her anytime soon if they are smart.  When they do, I'd like to see GiGi run with the title before they hand it over to Cora or Roxanne Perez.

I actually enjoyed the rough look of the ladies tag match.  It is always awesome to see journeyman workers in the ring trying to get the bugs out of their teamwork and moveset.  It actually sells the idea that time in the ring is essential to evolution.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

If I had to guess I’d say he was born with some sort of SHOOT~! deformity which is why his face is shaped a little differently.

Perhaps the storyline is he’s been called a freak his whole life because of it and the child photo just triggers those emotions so he wants to avoid it? That’s just my guess. It actually has the potential to be a pretty powerful story if that’s the road they’re going down and they do it right. 

Plenty of time to go but I think I was on to something 6 weeks ago re: Von Wagner.

How do you boo that story? As long as he doesn’t turn out to be an asshole outside the ring like Lars Sullivan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

tbf, the reason Lars Sullivan got into trouble was because we saw his asshole. 

lol. Well, aside from that(which I sadly remember) I believe he also got busted on message boards for some racist/sexist/homophobic posts which he later apologized for.

• Like 1