DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

actually, I was just thinking. Mox getting Umino and Yuta together and saying "You guys have lost the last two matches for the Club. I'm going to need you guys to prove you're still BCC worthy? How? By tearing each other apart in the ring of course. You don't stop working just because you're in the club. You don't stop fighting because you're in the club. You have to continue to earn that spot"

I'd mark out for it.

• Like 8

I'm in the camp that says the NJPW top brass might take offense at that sort of a move. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but it feels like a risk to the relationship, even if NJPW agree to it in principal. 

The other bit of fantasy booking I've been thinking about is MJF following through with no-showing Tana only for Punk to show up with his silly little bag to set himself up as the real fighting champ and deliver the match that was booked for last year. This depends on Punk/Elite having agreed to share a locker room for big shows, of course, but I'd imagine everybody's pride prevents them from wanting to miss out on that sort of thing.  

Edited by Ingobernable
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kota Ibushi shows up at the end?

That's what I'm thinking. Takeshita costs Omega the match or does a post match beatdown leading to an Ibushi save. Takeshita joins UE leading to either Omega/Ospreay III and Kota/Takeshita at All In or The Golden Elite vs. Ospreay/Takeshita.

Edited by Krone
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Ingobernable said:

I'm in the camp that says the NJPW top brass might take offense at that sort of a move. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but it feels like a risk to the relationship, even if NJPW agree to it in principal. 

Didn't Kidani mention something about wanting to work with Ibushi even after his contract ended? I think the anger is mostly on Ibushi's part.

• Thanks 1

Latest I read was that Ibushi has an offer to work for NJPW on the table as one of the many he's considering and they're on decent terms now. Non-contracted Ibushi is happy Ibushi. Him making his (big) reappearance in AEW could be the next best thing for NJPW because they should get some NJPW World subs from it in Japan.

I just wouldn't do it on the one show of the year dedicated to AEW vs NJPW. That's not a politics thing, that's a let's enjoy this opportunity thing. You can do the Ibushi story anytime and this show doesn't need it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salads said:

I just wouldn't do it on the one show of the year dedicated to AEW vs NJPW. That's not a politics thing, that's a let's enjoy this opportunity thing. You can do the Ibushi story anytime and this show doesn't need it.

YES WE DO.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Forbidden Door related:

So, in addition to the five (5!) Incredible matches already announced, we can pretty much count on seeing MiSu and Ibushi, based on them being at the meet and greet (which makes me happy, obviously)(particularly given that MiSu is a freelance fighter now so there was no guarantee he'd be part of this) and also presumably Shibata (considering that he (like Suzuki) has a match on Dynamite in less than 24 hours).

Yowza.

Plus probably gonna set up something for Mad King on Dynamite, as well.

MiWjJzM.jpg

Potentially setting up something with him on one side and MiSu, Ishii, and/or Shibata on the other.

Or: Something like Eddie & Ishii vs Mox & Shooter, maybe? That would be pretty great.

Pretty likely FD gonna be Show of the Year two years running. Possibly this year's edition will surpass last year's.

Once again I'll be at work while it's airing, so I need to spend my Monday avoiding spoilers until I can catch up. That's actually kind of a fun way to spend a Monday. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

That just builds pressure for Forbidden Door III if Punk stays healthy, I guess? If that's off the table, I'd give Punk a solid win against an interesting mid-card guy then. I have no idea who that would be since we don't know what the undercard looks like yet. You could toss him into a big tag with some of the featured Collision guys too. A Miro/Andrade/Punk/Starks 8-man, for instance, would have a ton of novelty and would hep highlight the show.

• Like 1

I sort of think that six featured singles matches might be enough (the four confirmed plus OC vs ZSJ and Storm vs Willow) and the rest will be multi-man matches. That feels fairly consistent with the way both companies book shows. So yeah if Punk's on maybe it could be with FTR against a team from any of the stables - LIJ, Bullet Club, J5G? Or he steps in for a no-showing MJF which I posited earlier and still like as an angle. 

Edit: I just checked and last year 4/9 main card matches were singles. Obviously, a single show isn't a reliable precedent but it all really depends on how many dudes they want to get on the show. Punk in a throwaway singles is three more guys who aren't getting on. 

Edited by Ingobernable
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Punk having a mid match with KENTA on a show with main events that are gonna melt people's minds was never a winning proposition. Nothing of value is lost. Who cares if they have the same finish. 

Yeah, this. Honestly give me Punk in a fun six man match like last year with Sting, Darby & Shingo vs The Bucks & El Phantasmo

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yeah, this. Honestly give me Punk in a fun six man match like last year with Sting, Darby & Shingo vs The Bucks & El Phantasmo

I thought that was the best match at last year's Forbidden Door.