DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

17 minutes ago, Log said:

My son is very obsessed with Andre right now, so we've been watching some 80's WWF. He wanted to see a battle royal with Andre, so I played him the one from before WMIII on SNME where Andre eliminates Hogan. The craziest thing about it to me was that every single elimination bump looked super dangerous! Dudes were flying out of the ring at weird angles and hitting the apron and stuff. And not just one or two of them! Damn near every elimination made me wince.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That particular battle royal is what I think of when you imagine the lore around the Roy Shire battle royales. Just utter brutality. It also helps that Lanny Poffo bled a gusher.

Oh shit I need to go back and watch that tonight.  When you have a guy who can't do much, you need to put the things he can do over strong, and Lanny deserved a bonus for accomplishing that with that bladejob off Andre's headbutt.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Warrior/Rude 2 and Warrior/Hogan were Warrior's only good matches.

His comeback match against Orlando Jordan was laid out perfectly, but Warrior hurt his leg training with RVD and he had to gimp through the whole 20-minute thing. IIRC RVD was actually having him do flying shit off the ropes in training, which...you don't want to start doing that when you're 49 like Warrior was at the time.

Makes me wonder if wrestlers are going to be competitive for longer now that a bunch of 50+ year olds like Rob Van Dam are into stem cells. Seems like only guys with money in the bank like RVD/Nash/Mysterio are able to afford them at this point.

51 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm in the minority, but I don't like the Mania 7 match with Savage; it was overlong and overbooked.

That was a classic case of "angle at the end saves the match" for me. I think we remember that for the reunion with Elizabeth moreso than the match, which, I agree, is way too long and features the unnecessary walkout spot.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

That was a classic case of "angle at the end saves the match" for me. I think we remember that for the reunion with Elizabeth moreso than the match, which, I agree, is way too long and features the unnecessary walkout spot.

I watched it again over Mania season, and it's one of those "if you only watch the last five or so minutes with the crowd going crazy plus the post match then it's a five star match" matches . But yeah, it went on forever. I will say that because the story is told so well, it does draw you in back by the end. However, you have to be in a certain mood to watch it. That particular Mania though is still when they would do some random mid card matches that had been kinda built up over the past several months, but at the same time, just throwaway matches you don't give a damn about. So by the time you get to Warrior vs. Savage, you're ready for a match that matters cause you just watched a bunch of filler. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I'm in the minority, but I don't like the Mania 7 match with Savage; it was overlong and overbooked.

Its been a while. I recall liking it but preferring the Summerslam match.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I watched it again over Mania season, and it's one of those "if you only watch the last five or so minutes with the crowd going crazy plus the post match then it's a five star match" matches . But yeah, it went on forever. I will say that because the story is told so well, it does draw you in back by the end. However, you have to be in a certain mood to watch it. That particular Mania though is still when they would do some random mid card matches that had been kinda built up over the past several months, but at the same time, just throwaway matches you don't give a damn about. So by the time you get to Warrior vs. Savage, you're ready for a match that matters cause you just watched a bunch of filler. 

WrestleManias 6 and 7 used to get trotted out in defense of the overly long 5-6 hour WrestleManias prior to the two day WrestleManias by folks going "well those two shows had 14 matches!"

And it's like... yeah and half of them barely hit five minutes! At least the Rockers vs. Barbarian and Haku was good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Squared Circle is back

I think all the subreddits I'm following are back now... unless I totally forgot somebody

You know somebody on Reddit has had their ego hurt that the admins aren't threatening them to reopen their subreddit. At least I get the fun of keeping an eye on Reddark and occasionally figuring out that 50 subreddits opened up in 5 minutes because some user is moderating 50 subreddits that average 1000 users each

I was slightly amused at the reason r/sc unlocked itself, which was that there's no reason staying closed when Reddit's owners have no intention changing course. Like, yeah, duh, that was abundantly clear from the start.

I never post there, but I'll browse through there if I'm bored and it's a nice place to check for breaking wrestling news.

you'd think a subreddit covering something dominated by Vince McMahon would have been better prepared for "the people running things are stubborn and won't change their ways"

SC is good for gifs and clips of things I didn't watch live.

Hopefully the guy with the same name as a DailyMotion legend returns to blatantly posting long match clips soon.

• Haha 1

The one upside during the r/sc lockdown was that the Reddit app kept promoting r/wcw to me as something I might be interested in and it was always postings of bangers of matches. I wound up subscribing to that subreddit just for those matches. One of the more recent ones was Sting vs Arn the night after Hogan turned. I forgot how unique that outdoor setup they had was and from the discussion on that post, I also totally forgot there wasn't much of an nWo presence on that show.

So yeah, tl;dr, subscribe the r/wcw subreddit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Log said:

My son is very obsessed with Andre right now, so we've been watching some 80's WWF. He wanted to see a battle royal with Andre, so I played him the one from before WMIII on SNME where Andre eliminates Hogan. The craziest thing about it to me was that every single elimination bump looked super dangerous! Dudes were flying out of the ring at weird angles and hitting the apron and stuff. And not just one or two of them! Damn near every elimination made me wince.

Battle Royals were originally pushed as the most dangerous match of the year because of the over the top rope bumps. At the time, throwing your opponent over the top rope in a regular match was an automatic disqualification.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Battle Royals were originally pushed as the most dangerous match of the year because of the over the top rope bumps. At the time, throwing your opponent over the top rope in a regular match was an automatic disqualification.

It was also the idea that people could hit you from behind and you couldn’t defend yourself from every angle at once. I’ve heard that in old voiceovers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its been a while. I recall liking it but preferring the Summerslam match.

The last time I've seen it (3-4 years ago), I actively disliked the Summerslam match. The work itself was fine, but the Flair + Mr. Perfect stuff was a big detriment, killing all the flow of the match. And the whole payoff of the storyline was, that Flair got to be transitional champion.

55 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It was also the idea that people could hit you from behind and you couldn’t defend yourself from every angle at once. I’ve heard that in old voiceovers.

And guys could lose and not be pinned. 

3 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Eight? Eight?! Deep Pockets Jones over here. Six is all you need! Three singles matches, a six man, and a battle royal! Five matches! What more do you need?!

Someone has to handle concessions during the 6-man!

• Haha 1