DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing V - 5/28/2023

Fill YOUR Memorial Day weekend with 'rasslin galore!   

THE CARD (updated as announced)

FOUR PILLARS MATCH FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - MJF (c) vs. Darby Allin vs. Jungle Boy Jack Perry vs. Sammy Guevara

FOR THE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Jamie Hayter (c) vs. Toni Storm

FOR THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - FTR (c) vs. Triple J (Jarrett / Lethal)

LADDER MATCH FOR THE TNT CHAMPIONSHIP - Wardlow (c) vs. Christian Cage

FOR THE TBS CHAMPIONSHIP - Jade Cargill (c) vs. Tara Valkyrie

21 MAN BATTLE ROYALE FOR THE INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Orange Cassidy (c) vs. 20 Competitors

ANARCHY IN THE ARENA EIGHT MAN TAG MATCH - Blackpool Combat Club (Danielson / Moxley / Yuta / Castagnoli) vs. The Elite (Omega / M. Jackson / N. Jackson / Page)

UNSANCTIONED MATCH - Chris Jericho vs. Adam Cole (bb)

Ethan Page/Colten & Austin Gunn vs. The Hardy Party (J. Hardy / HOOK / M. Hardy)

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, JLowe said:

For BCC v. Elite, are we thinking Adam Page as the 4th member of the Elite?

I know I am. I think Takeshita will be a victim of yet another BCC attack to take him out of the running, unless this turns into 5-on-5 somehow? I wouldn't mind that, either!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I know I am. I think Takeshita will be a victim of yet another BCC attack to take him out of the running, unless this turns into 5-on-5 somehow? I wouldn't mind that, either!

I can't believe I forgot that Lard Lad is now Elite-adjacent.

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Takeshita turns and joins the BCC, Hangman makes the save but is beat down 5 to 1. Going into the PPV, it’s Anarchy in the Arena but it’s 5v4! Who is the mystery partner? Will there be one? Kenny needs his holes filled apparently!

ENTER IBUSHI. He jumps off very high things all through the match! The following week on Dynamite we get Danielson & Mox vs The Golden Lovers.

• Like 5

I saw a similar idea, only for Wembley. Ospreay & Cobb vs Kenny Omega and a mystery partner.

• Like 1

Four Pillars does little for me as a main event and I have fuck all interest in Chris Jericho vs. Adam Cole. Looks like I'll need Anarchy in the Arena II. I say that but remember Bryan got fucking injured through it missing Blood & Guts and Zack Sabre Jr at AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door 2022.

• Like 1

I’ve been waiting a long time for Swerve/Lee.  

Even longer for a big Christian match.

I’m also going to bet that even if the week to week build of the 4 Way doesn’t impress you… The match most certainly will.  Barring a random bum out legit injury.  This match is going to rule all the butts.  I also like how unlike any other typical championship program it is.  It’s coloring outside the lines of established main event formula with 4 dudes who have been prepped for this scenario since the beginning.  This is the pay off to the entire concept of the new company/fresh original talent pillars thing.  What if they ALL walk out made men?  

Even fantasy booking would have to recognize that’s a tall order.  I admit.  But AEW does like keeping a high bar on quality.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Think I might save the money from this and use it on AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 which was the best wrestling show last year.

I haven’t missed an aew ppv and I’m not ready to start, but I could easily live without this show. Looking forward to whatever the bcc vs elite violence is, and the tag match with briscoe as ref sounds like a lot of fun. 

The show is going to end up entertaining with a bunch of great wrestling on it so I’m not worried about that. But I couldn’t care less about anyone in the main event, and most of the other speculated matches aren’t doing much for me. Hopefully there’s a few fun surprise matches that aren’t obvious right now. 

• Like 2

Also, I went to double or nothing 1. I had tickets for double or nothing 2 with my lapsed fan friend, but then covid happened. And I went to double or nothing 4. The fact that revolution just happened in my backyard complicates things. It would’ve taken a really special card with a huge dream match to make me go out again with the higher holiday travel prices. But attendance is down and I’m a big time fan and I’m not going this year. It says something. 

Yet the same thing happened after I traveled to SoCal the first two times new japan came here. By the third time I was like eh, I can wait for them to come to me. The novelty does wear off even though you’re guaranteed to get a high quality show. 

At this point I just need a stardom show. I will absolutely go to LA for that. 

• Like 1

Nervous for Elite vs. BCC Anarchy in the Arena II with how the first injured Bryan Danielson, really liking Jamie Hayter vs. Toni Storm II as their AEW Full Gear 2022 match is one of the best AEW matches ever and Christian Cage in a Ladder match vs. Wardlow. Still on the fence whether I order as these are the only matches I care for so I might just do what I said, save my money for AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door next month and see this at a later date.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

FwYPaCgWcAAhcx0?format=jpg&name=large

Just realized this will be the first time Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega will have wrestled since...

FwYObdyWYAA4PcU?format=jpg&name=small

AEW Dynamite Grand Slam, 22nd September 2021. A ***** match. The 2021 MOTY. To me, it's still the best match in AEW history. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3