Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't think the shit really hit the fan until the end of that year (though I do know that was the root of some issues in that he wanted to close the show over Cena/Rock, which is insane in retrospect, and I also seem to recall some kind of payday dispute)

In the Colt podcast, Punk said after his Mania match with Taker he was congratulated by Vince who said something like "that could have been the main event!" and Punk responded "SO PAY ME LIKE A MAIN EVENTER". And he said Vince just laughed it off.

Punk's passive unless you give him leverage to work with. In WWE, he had leverage in 2011 and his demands were that he wanted an Ice Cream Bar and a documentary about himself. I think Vince was done catering to him after that, even though he was a reliable champion.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, @Dolphman 3000, that was the exact exchange I was thinking of - I was having, uh, let's call it a 'wellness' deal with the liquor around that time, so combine that with the general then-growing homogeny of the show, and 99% of that era is a giant blur outside of the Wyatt/Shield/Evolution stuff which I will now and forever hold up as the last truly great WWE TV IMO.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
The edit workaround to tag someone is being funny today
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

I too used to live by a punk ethos. And then I grew up, started a career, and turned that ethos into hobbies like doing home repairs or remodeling myself, watercolor painting, woodworking with power tools and hand tools (dovetail joints bitches!), etc. And I try to instill that diy mindset and individuality in my older daughter so she knows she can largely not give a fuck about dumb kids at school.

Then you have this fucking guy who is a couple years older than me pulling these bitch moves and not playing  ball because of Ace fucking Steel, a dude that should have been arrested for assault for biting the shit out of Kenny’s arm and throwing a chair so hard at Nick Jackson that it knocked him out. Grow the fuck up.

I don’t usually agree with a lot of your posts, nothing personal just different opinions but that second paragraph is so on point. 
 

I remember trying to watch the punk documentary from his WWE dvd and he was talking how punk and cool him and his buddies were for going to other local Indy shows to heckle all the wrestlers and try to ruin the shows.
 

Hoping he doesn’t show up for Collision and all this drama is the last we’ll have to hear about him after all is said and done but I’m not getting my hopes up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

The point I was trying to make is that it's a different sort of self-destructive behavior to be messily feuding in public with Alvarez and Bix

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

So that's how it starts, going after Bryan, the guy crying so much about being dragged into stuff, and Bix, the easy target.

This is a very unimportant detail, but Punk didn't take a shot at Bix, right? Punk was going after Alvarez, and to make the point that Alvarez should stop talking about him, Punk posted an old Alvarez email where Alvarez happens to take a shot at Bix.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, FourPostMassacre said:

I don’t usually agree with a lot of your posts, nothing personal just different opinions but that second paragraph is so on point. 
 

I remember trying to watch the punk documentary from his WWE dvd and he was talking how punk and cool him and his buddies were for going to other local Indy shows to heckle all the wrestlers and try to ruin the shows.
 

Hoping he doesn’t show up for Collision and all this drama is the last we’ll have to hear about him after all is said and done but I’m not getting my hopes up. 

I made a comment here about being older and going to concerts and it hurting my feet or back to stand for so long and I think it was Chris who was like, yep, too old for the pit, content to now sit back and watch the show. In my teens and early to mid 20s I had so much energy and was kinda wild and would do too much stupid shit, but not enough to actually get in trouble. I don't think I would heckle anyone, but regardless, past my mid 20s I started a career, bought a house, got married, had a kid, got divorced, met my current wife, lived with her, got married to her, and just had a kid with her and I'm now going to be 43 this year. Anything past my 30s has been my mellowed out and more mature years. I learned from a lot of my mistakes, I enjoy my life, so why act like the knucklehead I was when I was younger? Maybe it's also the crowd you roll with. My friends are all family or career oriented and the wildest thing we do now is play video games too late on weekends. I suppose if your group is one that thinks it's cool to heckle people and be a dick when you're in your 30s and beyond then you're probably likely to do the same? I don't know.

I think a lot of us can be comfortable knowing we enjoyed our past when were younger and dumber and didn't have as much responsibility or tragedy without feeling the need to relive those years and being happy with who we are now. Or at least I hope so. I think we could all stand to deal with less tragedy or mental issues at the very least.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

This is a very unimportant detail, but Punk didn't take a shot at Bix, right? Punk was going after Alvarez, and to make the point that Alvarez should stop talking about him, Punk posted an old Alvarez email where Alvarez happens to take a shot at Bix.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a day later so things are flying so fast and furious, but I think you're correct.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Tony restructuring the entire roster around Punk only for Punk to blow it up last minute is hilarious, but the funniest outcome is still Punk coming back despite this and getting immediately injured again, so that's what I'm expecting.

Your position has been repeated many times and we all get it, but perhaps we could stop short of borderline wishing physical harm on others for your amusement? That'd be swell. 

Enjoy the rest of your day. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

position has been repeated many times and we all get it, but perhaps we could stop short of borderline wishing physical harm on others for your amusement? That'd be swell.

Hear me out: what about a real funny, minor one like when Mistico broke his finger that time

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, honestly, I hope Punk comes back. I watch wrestling. I don't work for AEW.  I don't have to deal with him personally, and I like to watch him be a pro wrestler. He hasn't done anything to make it hard for me to enjoy watching him.

Sooooooo, I figure there are a few more of you like me. My question is, if he does come back, who you looking forward to seeing him face?

It's been brought up a few times, but I'd love another Punk/Joe match. I loved their trilogy in ROH, and am intrigued what they'd bring to the table as older, slower, more-experienced wrestlers.

I'd like to see him face Cassidy. I think Punk would be into it, and they could get creative with Orange's stuff.

Who else?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Matt D said:

I mean, at least Alvarez is a trained worker so they can make some money off of this. I don't think heel manager Bix would draw.

Heel manager Bix feels like one of those generic managers you see on the 99-cent discount bin wrestling DVDs from a suburban community center with Ken Patera and a couple of fake Doinks.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just read a transcript of the “Bikini Girl” story from Punk and Cabana’s shoot. Is this old news? Because the story made me never want to see either of them on my TV again. Seeing multiple comments about “that’s how the wrestling business was back then” was disheartening if not surprising. 
 

Anyways I know people here hate Reddit but it’s kind of annoying to have people referencing drama without context so here you go and remember this was just how the wrestling business was and more fucked up things have happened right... 🤦🏻‍♂️

 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Log said:

So, honestly, I hope Punk comes back. I watch wrestling. I don't work for AEW.  I don't have to deal with him personally, and I like to watch him be a pro wrestler. He hasn't done anything to make it hard for me to enjoy watching him.

Sooooooo, I figure there are a few more of you like me. My question is, if he does come back, who you looking forward to seeing him face?

It's been brought up a few times, but I'd love another Punk/Joe match. I loved their trilogy in ROH, and am intrigued what they'd bring to the table as older, slower, more-experienced wrestlers.

I'd like to see him face Cassidy. I think Punk would be into it, and they could get creative with Orange's stuff.

Who else?

I loved his stuff with the big men and how it pretty openly aped from his Taker/Brock outings and other stuff like the Bret/Diesel matches - so I say give me a redux on the Wardlow and Hobbs matches ASAP, and also let's get guys like Lance Archer and Big Bill in the mix.

Joe/Danielson/Mox matches are no brainers and book themselves, as does an MJF rematch (though I HAVE to hope/imagine the pervasive thinking in Jacksonville is to keep him away from the f'n belt)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.hausofwrestling.com/2023/05/18/aew-re-hired-ace-steel-months-ago-exclusive/

Nick Hausman with Haus of Wrestling reports that AEW rehired Ace Steel several months ago shortly after he was initially fired, but he's only been working on the creative side remotely. Punk allegedly demanded Ace Steel be allowed to go back on the road, and AEW refused on Tuesday after it was initially understood he'd be allowed to return for Collision.

I'm starting to think the one who couldn't manage a Target is Tony Khan. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For anyone who is also having issues with @FourPostMassacre s link to the reddit thread not appearing 

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/13kxbia/cm_punk_colt_cabana_2005_most_women_in_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

 

Not saying any of this is ok or appropriate or ever should have been, but Id be lying if I didn't say that my first thought was "Oh, shit, Bix working that overtime..."

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Basically, it looks like David Bixenspan is kissing up to CM Punk for brownie points to get one over on Bryan Alvarez whereas in any other situation, he would be crying bloody murder over Punk's past comments and reputation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also on the side of the fence that just wants to watch wrestling and doesn't give a fuck about who gets along with who and who gets invited to fucking Chilis after the show is over. So my interest is still firmly in the camp of Punk returning. It would just be nice if it didn't have to come with so much drama.

As for his first opponent...man...he'd be better off being paired against Joe than Andrade. That's almost like asking to work a program with Rush on your return. At least with Joe you know what to expect.

Personally, I'd like him to go up against King Switch and put the Knife Pervert over. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Just read a transcript of the “Bikini Girl” story from Punk and Cabana’s shoot. Is this old news? Because the story made me never want to see either of them on my TV again. Seeing multiple comments about “that’s how the wrestling business was back then” was disheartening if not surprising. 
 

Anyways I know people here hate Reddit but it’s kind of annoying to have people referencing drama without context so here you go and remember this was just how the wrestling business was and more fucked up things have happened right... 🤦🏻‍♂️

 

A clip from this was on one of the recent Botchamanias and it reminded me that even though I prefer Punk's vision of wrestling to most of the rest of the AEW roster, there's a decent chance he's still a garbage human being

If that sort of stuff was the root of the Elite beef with him I could understand it, but it's not like Cabana wasn't sitting there with him yukking it up too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

A clip from this was on one of the recent Botchamanias and it reminded me that even though I prefer Punk's vision of wrestling to most of the rest of the AEW roster, there's a decent chance he's still a garbage human being

If that sort of stuff was the root of the Elite beef with him I could understand it, but it's not like Cabana wasn't sitting there with him yukking it up too

Considering how badly some of the buddies of “the elite” mistreated women (and underage girls), I’m pretty confident CM Punk being a cad was not the source of their conflict.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

 

Personally, I'd like him to go up against King Switch and put the Knife Pervert over. 

I wouldn't hold your breath. Dude is basically Hulk Hogan when it comes to putting dudes over in AEW. The only two people to have beaten him were MJF and Mox, and in both cases he "got his win back" in the rematch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...