DVDVR Message Board

GOTY?

misanthrope304

Too bad that the tension of the story does not transfer to the gameplay.  Death holds no real sting because the frequent checkpoints make the game feel like a warm blanket when compared to a game like GTA where death happens rather suddenly.  You learn to respect guns very quicklly in GTA5.

I liked the Last of Us, but I was so sick of the mechanics by the end that I started running forward in hopes of skipping fights and reaching the next checkpoint. Fighting zombies was satisfying, but battling humans was really unsatisfying as both Ellie and Joel.

What is it with games having fun zombie killing good times always ruining shit with boring and/or annoying human fights?

Because they can't quite capture the "Humans are far worse monsters than zombies" goodness of Romero's Living Dead movies.

• Like 1

I love that "hipster" is becoming the new catch-all term for people who don't like something you like or vice versa. It's quickly on it's way to joining "emo" as a word that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a hipster to not like TLOU since: A) I didn't like it and B) I'm definitely not a hipster.

He was using 'hipster' in the sense of 'anyone that enjoys things differently than I do.'

I only played like 6 new games last year so my list would be GTA V, Rayman Legends, Rogue Legacy, Don't Starve, Sword of the Stars: The Pit, and Shadowrun Returns in some order.  ACIV and Bioshock:Infinite could conceivably work themselves on to the list if I actually play them.  Lego Marvel would be on there if it wasn't so buggy.

Crusader Kings 2 is my real GOTY.  Now and forever.

People called Eurogamer hipster for giving Super Mario 3D World GOTY. I think I'm too old to understand this.

They're going to gravitate to the game that they feel like is trying to give them a new gaming experience. No matter how good GTAV is, it's exactly the game you expect it to be, the next variation on the same theme that series has been pumping out for over a decade.

Meanwhile, in a world where AAA games are getting increasingly easier to the point that they almost beat themselves, to the point that they are almost passive, rote entertainment experiences, TLOU is a game that, to some degree, actively resists your efforts to get comfortable and have fun with it.

The new gaming experience bit is true and a big reason why I stopped paying attention to reviews. Street Fighter IV's metacritic is 94% compared to Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition's 80%. Reviews should tell me how good the game is, not how much novelty it provided for the reviewer. 'A world where AAA games are getting increasingly easier' shouldn't come into it. What if I don't play 'AAA' games? What if similar games had been released beforehand? What if I play it years from now? Circumstances are important and can make a game more successful or memorable, but not better and I'd argue that sales should be the reward for the former with GOTY awards the avenue with which to celebrate excellence alone.

I love that "hipster" is becoming the new catch-all term for people who don't like something you like or vice versa. It's quickly on it's way to joining "emo" as a word that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

Also, people dissing 10 year old hard rock by calling it nu-metal when it doesn't have a goddamn fucking note of nu-metal in it.

Hipster doesn't mean a fucking thing. It never has. It's one of those lame Kurt Angle "well you cracked a joke about sleeping with my wife so I retort that you're not a good team player" insults.

• 1 month later...

There's nothing to renew in the TLOU debate. It'll still be "OMG this game is so overrated, GTA V (which is boring & sucks BTW) is better" or "OMG this game is a masterpiece that pushes gaming forward (which is also ridiculous)," but no opinion in between.

There's nothing to renew in the TLOU debate. It'll still be "OMG this game is so overrated, GTA V (which is boring & sucks BTW) is better" or "OMG this game is a masterpiece that pushes gaming forward (which is also ridiculous)," but no opinion in between.

The argument in between against TLOU is that TLOU is essentialy an interactive novel and not a game. 

The story is engrossing but it does not hide the deep flaws in the game mechanics.  Games are meant to be played and stories are meant to be read and for a story that is supposed to take place during an apocalypse, I didn't feel that much tension or dread.  Contrastly, the new Tomb Raider reboot is exceptional when it comes to making Lara's desparation your own.

If you find GTA V to be boring, you're not playing the online portion with the right people, Poe.  I think you would shit yoursellf with laughter if you ever played golf with us.

The argument in between against TLOU is that TLOU is essentialy an interactive novel and not a game. 

The story is engrossing but it does not hide the deep flaws in the game mechanics.  Games are meant to be played and stories are meant to be read and for a story that is supposed to take place during an apocalypse, I didn't feel that much tension or dread.  Contrastly, the new Tomb Raider reboot is exceptional when it comes to making Lara's desparation your own.

If you find GTA V to be boring, you're not playing the online portion with the right people, Poe.  I think you would shit yoursellf with laughter if you ever played golf with us.

I think you've said this exact same thing several times now and every time I'm not entirely sure, if you're not confusing TLOU with Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls.

TLOU had absolutely fantastic and flawless gameplay. I seriously don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

TLOU's gameplay was hardly flawless.  What have you to fear in the endgame when the autosave takes so many checkpoints? 

And the combat was pretty pedestrian.  The game wants you to win so you can experience the story.

If I wanted to experience a story, I'll read it.  I want to play the game and get some sense of challenge. 

That was the least threatening game set in an apocaclypse that I've ever played.  Fallout 3 had more explorer's trepidation than TLOU.  TLOU has a Survivor Mode setting which makes exploration a lot more complicated but hardly anyone plays in that mode.... because that would get in the way of the story. 

That's like saying that you'd enjoy Mass Effect's story so much more if you weren't cast in the role of a soldier that had to actually aim a weapon and shoot things in the course of saving the galaxy.  Pure rubbish.

Beyond Two Souls had the same "it's a novel not a game" thing going on, but at least Heavy Rain had the decency to have a mystery to solve and the illusion of added tension since someone might die if you took your sweet time figuring things out..

Now you have an idea of what I am talking about.

• Like 1

I have never understood why people see being extraordinarily difficult as a good thing in games.

I don't want the game to be extraordinarily difficult,

I want to play the game instead of the game playing me and leading me by the nose throuigh this wonderful story I'm supposed to experience under the belief that the narrative is the most important aspect of the game.

I have never understood why people see being extraordinarily difficult as a good thing in games.

I don't want the game to be extraordinarily difficult,

I want to play the game instead of the game playing me and leading me by the nose throuigh this wonderful story I'm supposed to experience under the belief that the narrative is the most important aspect of the game.

I would understand that criticism, if the game was actually the way you describe it. There are plenty of games out there like that, every single Telltale game, the aforementioned Heavy Rain etc.

The gameplay in The Last of US is just as good as the story in my opinion. I've been playing games my entire life and this is an absolutely perfect game in every single aspect.

I've been gaming all my life too, man and this is just different strokes. 

If by perfect gameplay you mean, yeah, the game let me beat it without too much heartbreak then yeah, it is perfect. 

If by perfect gameplay you mean, yeah, the game let me beat it without too much heartbreak then yeah, it is perfect.

"The game let me beat it without too much heartbreak" is pretty much exactly what I look for, just also add, "and made me feel like a badass".