DVDVR Message Board

GOTY?

misanthrope304

I will also say that any game that even reaches consideration for any of this horseshit is one of those games that is simply beatable.   This means that you are deep in the game and realize that it is easier to beat the game than to stop playing.  We have to consider these poor, poor reviewers who've shown themselves to be completely useless.

Difficult games show up on GOTY lists all the time, unless you're clamouring for rougelikes to get their props or something. I'm disappointed when a game prioritises spectacle over all else too but Tomb Raider quite obviously does things that AA and Uncharted don't. It also refines a lot of the mechanics it does take from Uncharted in neat ways with the auto-cover system being such a blessing, I'm amazed it's taken this long to implement in that kind of game.

As for this, I probably had the most fun with Rayman Legends out of anything I played this year, loved the art style, loved the amount that they packed into the thing and could pop it in to ace the races right now.

GTAV was great but the GTA-ness of it all (driving across the map to watch a cutscene so you can drive all the way back to play the mission, for one) is beginning to wear a bit thin, especially with the likes of Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs alleviating some of that boredom since GTA IV.

Monaco is tremendous with 4 players but the chances I have to actually play it that way are thin. Doesn't stop the game itself from being worth your time though.

I guess I'm just indifferent to The Last of Us. Forced stealth towards the beginning with real awkward in spots but fun when it worked but the gunplay later on was pretty bad.

Saints Row IV was the kind of ridiculous bullshit I enjoy in video games so that was great fun, if a tad repetitive in between the major story missions if you're gunning for 100%

I'm forgetting a ton so for GOTY, I dunno, let's say Mario 3D World.

Yep, I love the SR series - SR2 is still one of my top open world games of all time - but part 4 was just basically a bigger expansion of SR3.  It was fun enough to play once, but I got through it and had no qualms about selling it off to pay for part of GTAV, which is my pick for GOTY.

Granted, I haven't played that many new games this year, but I've put 100+ hours into GTAV and still want to play more.  I think maybe the last game I did that on was San Andreas.

And since everyone is all EXPLAIN YOURSELF in this thread, SR3 was terrible because it wasn't "fun" even though they tried so, so hard to make it "fun". By putting ZANY~! bad guys and CRAZY~! shootouts with infinitely spawning enemies. It was the most try hard video game I've ever seen. Since Boogerman, maybe.

Interested in buying one of the best games of the year for $4.99 during this week's steam sale? Interested in knowing what it feels like to be a low-level cog in a totalitarian regime? Interested in holding the life and death of people who just want to cross a national border in your hands? Interested in juggling paperwork and inspecting official seals? Then I highly recommend Papers Please.

Is The Walking Dead eligible for this year?

No.  All 5 episodes came out in 2012.

Yeah - I am 99% sure it made last year's list (though I am too lazy to find the results)

• 1 month later...

Here's my list for GOTY:

1) Fire Emblem Awakening

2) Tearaway

3) The Last Of Us (screw you Fat Spanish Waiter it's a great game)

4) BioShock Infinite

5) The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

6) Gone Home (it's not really a game in the conventional sense though....it's this year's Journey and Dear Esther)

7) The Stanley Parable

8) Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

9) Guacamelee!

10) Picross e2

It's a terrible game and your list is embarrassing.

Sorry but GTAV is a boring game. There I said it.

EDIT: I would really love to see what you think is better besides just GTAV. If you like GTAV and that's all, that's fine, it's just not really my thing.

Than the Last of Us? It was fucking terrible, so everything else. In general? GTA and Batman.

If The Last of Us is the peak of this generation, and the next generation is going to be spent trying to "top it" then I'm totally fine with sitting this cycle out. It looks great and seems like it was very expensive to make, but I reject the idea that the high point of gameplay over the last seven years is "Gears Of War Without Catharsis And With Weapon Durability." Fuck, I'm a huge fan of everything about Gears of War* and I'm kind of uneasy saying that's the peak too.

*i understand that the story is bad, but the way the first game delivered that bad story was so different and impactful that even hironobu sakaguchi capitalized on it for Lost Odyssey. That method is also "The Entire Naughty Dog Playbook"