DVDVR Message Board

WrestleZAYNia XXXIX - 4/1 & 4/2/2023

Dolfan in NYC

The opener was a typical Brock Lesnar match, though I was surprised at how much he sold in the first half.

Of all the matches on Night 2 of Mania, the women's tag match was definitely the second. Did Rhonda do anything aside from get the fall.

With how many recaps and adds there were after the second match, I thought the HIAC match was going on third and they needed all that time to set up the cage.

I would much rather have seen Gunther against either Sheamus or Drew in a singles match, but what we got was just fine. All three guys beat the piss out of eachother and the right person won.

Asuka/Bianca had the misfortune of following the brutal IC title match and the excellent Charlotte/Rhea match from last night. The Oni dancers for Asuka then the childrens' dance troupe for Bianca's entrance were nice touches. The match was fine but I felt like they never really kicked into high gear. With Bianca having a reality show coming out soon I guess they're keeping the belt on her a bit longer.

When I heard Shane's music I almost went off to take a dump out of general principle, but getting to see Snoop Dog do a people's elbow was quality.

The HIAC match was a standard WWE Hardcore match. The lack of the rest of The Brood showing up or any other type of interference from Judgement Day was surprising.

The main event was your formulaic Roman match featuring tons of slow paced stalling before picking up in the finishing stretch where there are multiple finisher kickouts and usually some shenanigans from his entourage. Cap that off with a completely nonsensical finish and I was not sports entertained. Before the Sami storyline picked up and put some life into it, The Bloodline was way past its sell by date. Unless they've got some majorly interesting new angle set to go Monday I'm going to go back to skipping any Bloodline-related stuff on tv.

The IC title match was the only memorable bout on night 2.

• Like 1

Cody next year in Philadelphia again right? I'm not saying that's what I want, cause I don't; but doesn't Cody's whole gimmick scream "win the title in Philadelphia" with the Homelander stuff.

I'm losing it on how Wrestling Twitter was falling over themselves to praise it... right until the finish.  

Dusty's kid not winning it on shot 1 makes sense.  Cody having no where to run when adversity hit makes sense.  Yeah, not pulling the trigger at Mania can suck, but with that reaction, Cody's made.  This won't hurt him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Can't wait for Roman vs Rock at WM XL. Then Roman vs Austin Theory at WM 41 and Theory wins. Years in the making bubba.

Never thought Drew McIntyre should have beat Roman Reigns for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship. It was between Sami Zayn and Cody Rhodes. Both lost. Roman Reigns is definitely getting to the 1,000 days mark now and by winning here, he becomes only the 9th man to hold the WWE Championship for a year.

Edited by The Natural

Not to be a jerk but fuck it....I hope fans at Raw tomorrow attack Roman Reigns. Don't give him a chance to speak and do his boring promos talking about how he won, etc....they should try to hurt him.

Because, eventually what the WWE is doing is going to backfire on them.

Oh and I cancelled my Peacock service after the finish to the main event.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Haha 4

I just want to say that after the Endeavor merger today, considering how Roman is the franchise, if I could have bet on Roman assuming the odds still strong in Cody's favor I would have done that.  And I felt stronger on that during Roman's long entrance.  I wasn't as shocked as I would have been yesterday, but I was still pretty surprised.  I was honestly thinking if ever a time for a Dusty finish this is it, there was enough time left on PPV, but twas not to be

1 minute ago, Andrew POE! said:

Not to be a jerk but fuck it....I hope fans at Raw tomorrow attack Roman Reigns. Don't give him a chance to speak and do his boring promos talking about how he won, etc....they should try to hurt him.

The fuck is this shit? Am I misunderstanding some hyperbole or are you actually asking for fans to physically attack a performer because you don't like the writing the company is giving him? What a garbage post.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Krone said:

Cody next year in Philadelphia again right? I'm not saying that's what I want, cause I don't; but doesn't Cody's whole gimmick scream "win the title in Philadelphia" with the Homelander stuff.

Cody is getting booed to hell in Philadelphia if that's the case

4 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Are you serious? You can completely go fuck yourself if you think fans should attack a wrestler because the company booked a decision you don't like.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can already see this is going to be divisive but I'm sold on Cody Rhodes and I'm also sold on Roman Reigns. People are going to pretend WWE is dying when Roman Reigns is clearly the biggest star they've had since Cena.  

I always wanted Jey Uso to beat Roman Reigns so let's go with that. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, peterien said:

As much as I want you to be right, all signs point to a Cody win, however one thing I grasped from the video packages this week is that Romans run doesn’t feel finished just yet. 

I had an inkling but fuck, what a horrible decision. 

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

I'm losing it on how Wrestling Twitter was falling over themselves to praise it... right until the finish.  

Dusty's kid not winning it on shot 1 makes sense.  Cody having no where to run when adversity hit makes sense.  Yeah, not pulling the trigger at Mania can suck, but with that reaction, Cody's made.  This won't hurt him.

It only makes sense if you don’t build it up in the way they did, but once they went with the build they did he just looks like no different to the other losers, especially with such a weak finish. That’s ignoring if they’ll have The Bloodline feud as hot when they eventually do pull the trigger. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Oh and I cancelled my Peacock service after the finish to the main event.

What the fuck? You can't be doing that.

• Like 2