DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

Seeing Shane Taylor come out with the Work Horsemen, I was like WTF but then they acknowledged "Shane is not teaming with his regular partners", but I don't think they ever actually said *why*. Regardless, the Work Horsemen "Its Over" theme rules and they worked well together, even got in a nice near fall in an impossible scenario. Needs more Shane Taylor w/ JD Griffey, figured they would've been more involved with Keith Lee after Final Battle the breakup with Swerve. I remember the crowd just loving any Lee/Taylor interaction at FB. 

Shibata/Daniels ruled. I'm digging Shibata just kicking ass pure rules style, not even needing to use his rope breaks, only making the opponent use theirs. I hope he gets a long run as champ.

Cage/Ortiz was solid, then a string of shorter matches. I still enjoy the mixture of competitive longer matches and shorter squashes. I think Nigel said something about never competing in a trios tag which is certainly not true. Daniel Garcia continues to be on fire with his excellent sports entertaining. 

Takeshita/Nese was surprisingly amazing after expecting more of a squash. This match was awesome and I even bought the near fall on Nese's pumphandle towards the end. Great work from both guys and those at ringside.

Main event was the epic I was hoping for. Absolutely loving all the Miyu lately here and want more. I was totally down for this to be a double countout or one winning by countout once they went up to the stage to brawl, just to prolong it further. Miyu's adjusted falling skull kick to the ribs nailed perfectly. The eventual ending was still good with Miyu putting up a fantastic struggle and never tapping before passing out. Great stuff!

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, DEAN said:

Tracy Williams was the SUPERSTAR of the episode. 

I'm seeing the same. Williams has been really great in each of his appearances. This Garcia bout may have been his best yet. A tweak to his presentation, maybe a mouthpiece/manager, and a couple wins might be worth a try. More 'Hot Sauce' please!

The first couple of episodes of ROHTV had matches nicely complemented by promos inbetween. That was a simple and effective formula. Matches plus promos make for a more satisfying viewing. There's plenty of talent that we need to consistently get to know.

Chrstopher Daniels opens things up with a pretty by the numbers babyface promo. Can we turn this bland babyface ino a worthwhile heel already? ROH needs a Prophecy and so does Chris. Tho, a switch to Curry Man would also be welcomed. Then the WorkHorses roll out in their regrettable new teal costumes. I prefer the cargos. They're working men, teal and silly designs might miss the point. Perhaps I care too much about the look of an enhancement tag team. Great to see Assbeater Shane Taylor. This match underwhelmed from the possibilities, but I feel good about this Mark Briscoe/Lucha Brothers trio. That said, I can't help but wonder how Pac feels? Will Mark have to answer to the B-tard? I'd certainly like to see that. I like the meditative opening to Shibata's entrance music. Nice bout with Daniels. Shibata is a movie star. I love his clean crisp look - take some note Fallen Angel. The snug fit and silly designs are better left behind. Very much into this  Shibata Pure Title run. With all due respect, let's get him some challengers to be excited about. Slightly awkward pauses aside, Claudio cuts a nice promo. I'd love for Claudio to have a Heenan to his Bockwinkel. Slight disappointment seeing Ortiz randomly show up to do a job for Brian Cage. I had my mind fixed on him sneak attacking Kingston and paying off where they began in AEW. It could still happen, but a lot less steam after a middling loss. Horrible rana spot in this. I've been digging Brian Cage over the last few months, but he was fully complicit in this shitty match. Regardless, always great to see Prince Nana! Hindsight suggests they should have cut that for more time on the underserved Darius-Lethal bout. Said segment really needed to be tightened up tho. Why is Taven/Bennett out there speaking away from the mic with Riccaboni holding his headset to Taven. Just let Taven join for commentary and do his run in. This all felt awkward. The post match comedy of 'let's wear Santnam's jacket' felt a little out of place. I only half saw the wonderful Roosh and his nasty brother beat up the lameduck Infantry (they maybe don't need an entrance). I always love to see young Willow Nightingale, but she might be best to drop the lame dosey doe spot. The Righteous debut was mostly good if a bit clumsy at the end. Lots of room to tighten shit up on this show. To no surprise, Nese-Takeshita was pretty terrific. Nese continues to be a great hand. Takeshita continues to impress with his crisp offense and excellent all around game. I like the presentation of the Varsity Athletes with that Sterling entrance while essntially being a group of Enhancement Athletes. It just works. Athena-Yamashita was also a lot of fun. Small thing, but it would have really elevated Yamashita to run a wee little package showcasing why she's an exciting challenger. The same could be said for most of this show. A lot of guys whom would benefit from us all getting to know a little more about them. In package or in front of a microphone. This show wasn't bad, but felt pretty forgettable and not feeling like something worth a paid subscription commitment. They're kinda losing me on the way to the sub-re-up. The half empty arena atmosphere really pales to the energy at Universal. But the big issue is the lack of promos inbetween. Nobody's going to be excited to pay for more Dark.

Final note: this 3 man team of Riccaboni, Caprice and Nigel is fucking awesome. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

Also, can we all band together to WILL into exisitence a hard rule that if a corner person interferes directly in front of the ref's view that they are sent to the back. Shitty outside interefence to no admonishment is the new shitty finish. I prefer DQs and Countouts to all of the multi-person chicanery. As is it makes the refs look like idiot-assholes and the guys going out without backup empty-headed Hangmen. 

• Like 4

We're all on similar pages here. I can't wait for them to get back to studio tapings where they do four shows over two days, but for now we've got Friday's taping at least ahead of us. It's not bad and it still feels novel but it's also not quite the same. I did like Nigel as a novelty since he got to talk about a lot of wrestlers for the first time and he felt familiar with everyone in a way that a lot of the other announcers they bring in aren't immediately. In general, I very, very much appreciate Ian's tendency to bring everything back to ROH and ROH history. It's like the opposite of Jim Ross' bullshit where he always made football seem more important than wrestling. Not only is wrestling the most important thing, but to Ian, ROH is the most important thing.

I don't have time to cover everything but I did like the Takeshita match a lot and how things had purpose, like the dive which was really the end to the interference in the match, a means and not an end! I liked how Athena controlled the apron, scoring two transitions back onto offense from that vantage, even if the match itself was just a little too back and forth. It was funny some duplicated spots like GMSI from Cage also being Anthony Henry's big move and Takeshita going for the Cage outside in suplex (Even if it was jammed). I thought Daniels/Shibata was very good and I wonder if Shibata's real speed might be ten minute TV matches? I agree with everyone on Williams looking great; I honestly think he has this entire run and he should be the BCC guy who can eat falls, but I've noted that before.

This did feel like a first show after a PPV where the smoke is still clearing and i agree that we need more progression.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, evanknight said:

Have all the titles except the TV title been updated? Is there something more to that?

They’re too afraid to grab the current one from Samoa Joe. I don’t blame them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Red King said:

a1nxut24rjra1.jpg

Belts are growing on me. Do you have the others? Cheers.

11 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Briscoes on the tag title side plates is fucking awesome. Posing, and doing a Doomsday to Dax.

Class that.

Edited by The Natural

Just watched the March 30th show. Highlight of course was Athena-Emi. Blake Christian and El Hijo de Vikingo had a great match with some mind-melting spots but also lots of striking and grappling.

Darius taking the pin in the 8-man tag has me wondering if Top Flight was supposed to win at the PPV and they had to call an audible because of Dante. There’s really nothing interesting about Lucha Brothers being champs other than their history with the Briscoes.

Eddie-Daniels made me realize how much I miss Eddie being in TV. Really feels like they missed their moment with him at the PPV, especially if they’re going to have Claudio with BCC feuding with the Elite on the AEW shows.

The rest was fine if nothing particularly memorable.

• Like 2

I liked the fresh show leading into the PPV, but I think it’s going to be near impossible to do a ROH show that people will pay for piggybacked on an AEW tv tapping. You’re trying to satisfy to different demographics at the same time. 

ROH needs to be more episodic, involving storylines for secondary characters at its core for it to be a weekly show worth a subscription. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, evanknight said:

I liked the fresh show leading into the PPV, but I think it’s going to be near impossible to do a ROH show that people will pay for piggybacked on an AEW tv tapping. You’re trying to satisfy to different demographics at the same time. 

ROH needs to be more episodic, involving storylines for secondary characters at its core for it to be a weekly show worth a subscription. 

Yeah, the atmosphere of these half empty split tapings has thus far been a drag compared to the Universal Studios shows. The lack of promos over the live tapings has also been a major disappointment. Ppl need to get to know these guys and the guys they do know what their motivations are. Those first few weeks had an exceptional flow simply going back and forth from match to promo. I'd like to think there's a reason why they've gone the last couple weeks with the far less appealing Dark formula of match, match, match, but I hope they correct the course ASAP. I'm not sure the secondary characters need storylines as opposed to simple challenges week to week during promos, but maybe that's what you were driving at? 

Next week's ROH makes me want Schneider's column back.

Spoiler

• Like 3

Just now, Zimbra said:

He announced the column is done but it sounds like he'll still be doing stuff for Ringer in some capacity.

Aw, dammit. It was awesome while it lasted.

Glad to see Phil still around there, though. I love The Ringer, but their wrestling coverage can get too close to schilling for WWE for my tastes. I've dug having Phil there to show that other types of wrestling exist and are very good/great.

• Like 2

Andretti is not my pick for Darius' partner. I would have gone with contrast. It's tricky because we don't know Tony's plans, but ... maybe Shane Taylor, right? A mentor deal where he's pushing Darius in some dubious directions and then when Dante comes back, it comes a whole thing.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Andretti is not my pick for Darius' partner. I would have gone with contrast. It's tricky because we don't know Tony's plans, but ... maybe Shane Taylor, right? A mentor deal where he's pushing Darius in some dubious directions and then when Dante comes back, it comes a whole thing.

Yeah, I saw that and winced. It's like they give Darius the Wish version of his brother. I like the idea of Shane Taylor, and then to make it extra fun use the idea of Shane Taylor Promotions as the new Mogul Enterprises with Swerve.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Seems like they could've fallen back to Darius and AR Fox honestly.

• Like 1

What's up with Slim J? I'm feeling a little less like subscribing without his special talents and great punch on my weekly ROH.

No spoilers. Just discussion of next week, not this week, next week's ROHTV line-up...

Spoiler
Next week's ROH card looks like they tacked on an episode of Dark. An Iron Savages squash? A Lance Archer squash? Tho, if this means Lance is gonna get an Honorable run I'm pretty game for it. As a squash artist tho... I know they want ppl to feel the excitement a Skyscrapers or Vader squash might provide, but it's not there. I wanna see Lance hoss-fighting and working competitive matches. That's where he looks his best. 

Karter/Johnson v Dark Order also feels like a Monday Night stream, but again if these guys are looking for ranking numbers in the Ring of Honor I wouldn't deny either's quest. Reynolds and Silver deserve to have more 'Championship opportunities'. I wouldn't even mind seeing them hold the gold. Or silver that is. 

Moriarty-Takeshita! Gringo Loco-Vikingo! Awesome. Can we all band together and WILL Gringo Loco into an ROH contract so he can base all the upwardly moving talent every week!?! 

A lot more squash heavy episode this week than previous episodes and the shortest overall yet. Skye looked good in her couple minutes. Willow with the quickest win of the night. Solid Shibata tag, his music hitting always a highlight.

Athena/Ashley was a solid 5 minutes, I liked Ashley's bump off the O Face. Pretty great main event from Claudio/Metalik. Really good Kingston video package talking about his injury as well.

• Like 3

Kingston Rhode Island provided a terrific platform for ROHTV this week. I feel less interest in Universal Studios with a crowd like this. A lot of fun had this week. Briscoe-Davari was a nice opener. The relentless interference was a touch much for my tastes, but at least had a fun pay off. Mark is on a wonderful run. Bennett-Darius was fantastic while it lasted. Every time out Bennett proves himself to be one of the most criminally underrated performers going. Darius also had a really nice showing. Horeshit finish sets up the tag, so sure. I don't mind Andretti getting in on this. Wheeler Yuta v Tracy Williams was so good! Great example of how you make the most of 5 minutes. Hot Sauce continues to be an incredible hand! Maybe too good to stick to an enhancement role. Shibata/Coughlin v Workhorsemen was fucking awesome. Dug the Willow showcase. Really dug Stu v Nese. Athena v Ashley D'amboise and the promo segment that followed were fun. Athena can do no wrong right now. Pleased to see more promos inbetween the bouts this week. The Kingston promo was the obvioius highlight, but the Righteous did themselves well here too. Looking forward to them squaring off with Stu&Uno. Man, I expected I'd enjoy Claudio v Metalik, but it completely blew away my modest expectations. Claudio with a chip on his shoulder is the best Claudio. And absolutely love the theme switch to Tchaikovsky. Metalik has been good thus far in ROH, but this was a particularly good showing. And Claudio looked incredible here. I loved this match. And this show. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm still in ICU so I can't watch on the big screen and write at the same time.  Travis Williams versus Wheeler Yuta was pretty great.  I need so much more Williams in my life.  Mike Bennett vs Darius Martin would have been the match of the week if it had an actual finish. Mike Bennett is the Dennis Condrey of the Kingdom. I dig that they are setting up Action Andretti as a temporary tag team member.  Alex Coughlin was AWESOME with his From The Floor BRAINBUSTER!  Shibata was awesome being Shibata and I look forward to him taking on his student.  Stu Grayson is so much better as a singles wrestler because you notice all the crazy shit he does. I dig Ashley D'Ambroise debuting and hopefully she gets a little push.  She looked goog.  ATHENA was FUCKING AWESOME as usual.   I think Metalik was noticing that Vikingo and Komander are hanging around so he had to BRING IT and he BROUGHT IT!  I just LOVE THIS SHIT.  ROH RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This was a good show! I had to go into work today so I watched it on the bus so no bullet points but the great stuff was great and the ok stuff was just ok. I didn't think the Willow vs LMK squash was as good as it could have been but that's because Athena vs Ashley was a real match more or less. Ashley's reactions at times seemed a little weird. She should have sold the belt shot in the post match promo more for instance. Athena has that Terry Funk/Negro Casas quality where you want to watch her just react to things to see what she'll do in the moment. Speaking of Promos, Eddie's was tremendous. Stu 100% has the same offense I'd give my Create a Wrestler in Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain, but it was a very fun sprint. Nese is really good at being in the right place at the right time in a way that's just a little unconventional to stand out. I remember liking Yuta vs Williams and Briscoe/Davari but not remembering why I liked them. Bennett is such a workhorse. Speaking of them! I loved the reactions the Workhorsemen had watching whatever Coughlin was doing to their partner. Fun stuff. I agree that Claudio vs Metalik over delivered too. Claudio is just the ultimate base and let Metalik do a bunch of stuff I wasn't sure he was still capable of. ROH is just a blast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1