DVDVR Message Board

2023 INDY WRESTLING THREAD

2 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

It's neat that KENTA beat Nick Wayne for the DEFY Title...but, like, why? It's not like he's gonna suddenly start working there every 2-3 weeks.

I dunno: I've known Nick since he was 13, and I guess he's probably almost ready to head to AEW...but still. Makes no sense to me.

Is there anyone else who KENTA could drop it to in the not so distant future? Who would benefit most from such a big win?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

Is there anyone else who KENTA could drop it to in the not so distant future? Who would benefit most from such a big win?

Schaff, Artemis Spencer or Cody Chuun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a promoter myself, I've been conned into putting "the name" over when I didn't want to...but at the end of the day, it doesn't help an indie to have someone come in from far away and beat your top guy. But DEFY is also 100x more successful than me so WTF do I know? 😄

• Like 1

I'm considering going to the Wrestling Revolver show in Dayton on the 17th. It's got Steve Maclin vs. Jake Crist for the Revolver Title, Konosuke Takeshita vs. JT Dunn, Motor City Machine Guns vs. Ace Austin & Chris Bey and Alex Colon vs. Crazy King in an Unlucky 13 Staple Gun Match among other matches.

Line ups for the shows happening at The Rec Room in Toronto the day of Forbidden Door:

Girls Next Door 11:30 AM

MERCEDES MARTINEZ VS MASHA SLAMOVICH

NWA WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
KAMILLE (C) VS VANESSA KRAVEN

SMASH WRESTLING WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
NIKITA (C) VS LIIZA HALL

FEMMES FATALES WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
NICOLE MATTHEWS VS ALEXIA NICOLE (C)

ALLIE KATCH VS JODY THREAT VS TRISH ADORA

TAYLOR RISING VS SELEZIYA SPARX

KC SPINELLI & MARY LEE ROSE VS MILEY & KRISTARA

DEFY X PROGRESS 3pm

PROGRESS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
SPIKE TRIVET (C) VS ARTEMIS SPENCER

CHARLES CROWLEY VS GRINGO LOCO

SCHAFF VS BRIAN KEITH

DEFY WRESTLING WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
VERT VIXEN (C) VS ALLIE KATCH VS NICOLE MATTHEWS VS SESSION MOTH MARTINA

BOLLYWOOD BOYZ VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA & MATT CROSS

Pretty sure I'm hitting up the Defy show for that tag match alone

• Like 2

There was that interview where Gage was saying he doesn't actually like Deathmatch wrestling that much and prefers technical matches, but he knows his role.

I think he spent a lot of his early career (in CZW) dealing with a lot of peer pressure to become a deathmatch guy, and then accidentally became a deathmatch legend just in time for his athletic peak to be taken away from him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just got done watching Gage/ZSJ.  It’s a pretty good match considering last time I saw Gage.  He didn’t look like he was getting around too well.  He looked a lot better this time.  ZSJ was game for the nastiness of doors, chairs, and thumbtacks.  

I’ve watched a fair amount of GCW this past year.  They’re fairly reliable.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I've never seen it confirmed or denied, but isn't Feinstein involved with Battleground?

Yeah it's run by him and Timothy Embler, who used to run the conventions as part of Tommy Dreamer's House of Hardcore weekends.

Edited by Dolphman 3000

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if GCW has anything in the pipeline for another big show akin to that show at the Hammerstein awhile back.  You know considering who was in that show.  They must have spent a pretty penny getting Mox, Ruby, Jarrett, and Cardona all under the same roof.  So it’s questionable if they didn’t lose their shirt even with bigger than usual ticket sales and (I vaguely recall seeing reported some fucking where) a decent pull in ppv buys.  

I’ve watched a fair amount of Game Changer in the last year or so since this show.  While it didn’t exactly set the WRLD on fire it WAS a fun show with a lot of effort, creativity, and upgrades in production value.  The free YouTube shows are fun if a bit underwhelming.  And they are running a pretty strong schedule far outside their own home territory.  But in spite of that.  I just thought I’d see a bit more growth and/or buzz since then.  

Wrestling Revolver and DEFY have impressed me with their quality recently as well.  Maybe they’ll step up.

Edited by Brandon Bones
More thoughts.

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

And they are running a pretty strong schedule far outside their own home territory. 

GCW chose to sign Nick Gage to a long-term contract right after the Hammerstein show to stop him from leaving and starting his own promotion, and now they have to run a zillion shows a year to pay it out.

This is the hell they chose - don't feel bad for them.

Everyone needs to watch Speedball Mike Bailey vs Yoshihiko from Game Changer "Now and Forever" this past Friday night. They literally redid Ospreay vs Omega from Forbidden Door, complete with "Don Callis" getting kicked out only to return, and it was completely fucking brilliant. Seriously the MOTN.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 1:14 PM, hammerva said:

Speaking of which,  they just announced Jeff Hardy for the Detroit show.  Sure.   

And former WCW wrestler Lash LeRoux (Corporal Cajun) will appear at GCW's Chicago show Sept. 1 for his first match since 2006 or so. He's now a pastor in Alabama and apparently having a pro wrestler's take on a midlife crisis.

• Like 1

After not holding a show since January’s BOLA, PWG is back in August with their 20th anniversary show, “Twenty.”  It’ll be a “ Mystery Vortex” event.  I don’t care if AEW is out-PWG’ing them or if other indies are grabbing more headlines, I’ll always have time for my goofy SOCal dudes.