DVDVR Message Board

2023 Puroresu General Discussion

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Hiroshi Nagao (or "the guy who debuted in a tag team title contendership tournament teaming with Takayama because his gimmick was that he was tall and immediately broke his ankle jumping over the top rope entering the ring") is forever my #1.

My god...that's a name I haven't thought about since he was a Young Lion in New Japan. That was back when I knew every YL's name and face and was way too invested in their growth when there was far too many mediocre ones.

I think parts of Voices of Wrestling and the NJPW English commentary team helped create the (mainly Western) negative image of Wato. It always seemed unnecessary especially during the no-noise era. Once people could start cheering you could see that Wato and O-Khan (the other repackage that the internet did not dig) were over with the crowds. I guess you could say that Despy was constantly crapping on Wato too but at least that was done in character.

Yujiro is the probably wrestling's most boring Marty Jannetty ever. How you could be that boring with a supposed pimp gimmick is astounding. But at the same time, he's also the most stable Marty Jannetty ever. He has enough of his own history (he is, after all the first Japanese member of the Bullet Club - is he the longest continuous member?) that NJPW almost never mentions No Limit anymore.

• Like 1

There are so many names that did an impressive amount of nothing for the first decade or so of their careers before it clicked (Makabe / Yoshi-Hashi would be good examples of this) that it feels harsh to dunk on Dojo guys that retired early. I thought about Yujiro in the G1 thread when I noticed he wasn't included this year Here's a guy who has been in about ten G1s with some of the best in the world and you might argue he has nothing to show for it.

2023 has been great seeing the organic conversion of ironic meme Watomania into well, still meme but now not so ironic Watomania. A nice feelgood meta layer to the young star breaking out story.

AJP

Taiyo Kea showed up in AJP at Korakuen Hall, it been years since he was in the AJPW ring, back in 2017. 

Below Muto Era AJPW guys vs the still unnamed New Unit of AJPW

FyotyEgaYAIteS-?format=jpg&name=small

Kento and Yuma defeated NOAH's and KONGOH's Kenoh and Soya and won the World tags back for AJPW.

Hiroshi Nagao (or "the guy who debuted in a tag team title contendership tournament teaming with Takayama because his gimmick was that he was tall and immediately broke his ankle jumping over the top rope entering the ring") is forever my #1.

Giant Vabo! Giant Voba? Good Golly Big Volley? He stunk in HUSTLE too.

RE: Kevin Kelly & Chris Charlton burying guys - They do this quite a bit with House of Torture in particular (EVIL & Yujiro in particular, SHO they do play off that he's so capable but has gone down the wrong path) which is very much understandable, but I do think they can take it a bit too far at times. Specifically until this year's Super Junior they've been extremely harsh on Master Wato, who initially was the drizzling shits but sneakily started improving in 2022 yet they'd constantly bury him at nearly every opportunity. Sometimes I think they try to push online sentiment too much...

RE: Worst NJ dojo graduates - Mitsuhide Hirasawa (Captain New Japan/BONE SOLDIER) is the first to come to mind. Outside the one amazing Nagata carry job, Tadao Yasuda was terrible too. Michiyoshi Ohara is another that comes to mind too that was just as bad as Yoshitatsu/Yujiro/Kenzo. There are a fair few of those 80s/90s dojo guys that maybe someone that has seen more can judge better than I too that could go on the list (i.e. Shunji Takano, Fumihiro Niikura, Shinichi Nakano)

Ah Bone Soldier, forever in my memory when Kenny did that promo where he called him an intergalactic disaster.

I think parts of Voices of Wrestling and the NJPW English commentary team helped create the (mainly Western) negative image of Wato. It always seemed unnecessary especially during the no-noise era. Once people could start cheering you could see that Wato and O-Khan (the other repackage that the internet did not dig) were over with the crowds. I guess you could say that Despy was constantly crapping on Wato too but at least that was done in character.

I have enjoyed the repackage of Master Wato and Great O-Khan from the time they returned. Both have that wrestling thing of the perfect amount of stupid.

On the other hand, I wouldn't care if I ever saw SHO and YOH again.

• Like 1

YOH is fine, and SHO has been making the absolute most out of his role, he hams it up but you can tell he's having fun, and he's all set to go on a massive run if they ever pull the trigger on him turning his back on House Of Torture. At the very least he'd be a great junior ace, and if it was up to me I'd put him in the heavyweight division, have him scythe through EVIL and give him a substantial push. He's built like a tank and was credible against Shingo about four years ago.

The Voices Of Wresting Super J Cast were fairly harsh on Wato, but they've turned around on him now. I don't think they were ever unfair, his gimmick is stupid and using him as a big, ungainly junior plays against his strengths of eliciting sympathy. Now he's improved a lot and he's less blue and silly looking, but I'd still prefer him as an underdog heavyweight.

Yujiro was one of my absolute favourites when I got into NJPW around 2010ish, and I swear at one point I wasn't the only one who thought he should be given a main event push ahead of Naito. Now that seems absurd, but it made sense to me at the time.

FWIW, Nagata Vs Anzai in AJPW more than doubled the attendance of NOAH’s Lee Vs Sugiura. 

Nearly 2000 in attendance for AJPW is good for them. Wonder if the same type of crowds will show up for Aoyagi.

• Like 2

Nagata had and wore the old Triple Crown for one night, the 3 old belts. Usually ceremonial gesture they did for Kento and Jake Lee before in the past.

20230617006.jpg

Nagata had good words for Anzai.  Nagata is mostly a face in AJPW but he has been a heel in NOAH before. I remember him being dispargious about NOAH in the past years ago.

• Like 1

Upcoming AJPW matches

Suwama teaming with Evolution again vs Voodoo Murders, and in another match Suwama is also teaming up with Kojima and Kaz and Minoru, so Puroresu Love era AJPW vs Voodoo Murders.

Guests Bodyguard and Izanagi return. More Onita and Unagi.

• Like 2