DVDVR Message Board

2023 Puroresu General Discussion

RIPPA

Maybe Kojima could lose, in NJPW he is less important there than he was previously in NOAH and his current run in AJPW.  

Looking at Cagematch, Nagata and Kojima both been mostly wrestling in AJPW and not NJPW.  That's interesting. 

• Like 1

All Together Again

6,569 Fans.

Shota Umino vs Yoshitatsu was short.

Okada was in his Viciousness mode, part of old Strong Style. 

Spoiler

Post match Okada closed the show with Inoki's chant 1, 2, 3, Da! and was in the ring with Inoki's grandsons and the fighters and players.

• Like 1

“A HUSH comes over the crowd… with Yoshitatsu on offense.” - Kevin Kelly during the match with Shooter.

I admit I laughed.  But I wonder how much piss and vinegar was actually applied there.  So I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.  But it’s not a great look to be “All Together” and have your commentary team (no matter how backhandedly) burying your partners.  

Then again Yoshitatsu does kinda suck.  

Edited by Brandon Bones

Big Dog Shuji Ishikawa is celebrating 20 years of wrestling this with a couple of special matches:

Shuji Ishikawa 20th Anniversary Match: Shuji Ishikawa, Kohei Sato & Ren Ayabe vs. Jun Saito, Rei Saito & KONO 

-this is the “All Tall Boys” match. Everyone is at least 6’4”!

Shuji Ishikawa 20th Anniversary Match 2nd: Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama vs. Daisuke Sekimoto  & Yuji Okabayashi  

-this is more of a classic matchup. 

On 6/12/2023 at 12:57 PM, Brandon Bones said:

“A HUSH comes over the crowd… with Yoshitatsu on offense.” - Kevin Kelly during the match with Shooter.

I admit I laughed.  But I wonder how much piss and vinegar was actually applied there.  So I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.  But it’s not a great look to be “All Together” and have your commentary team (no matter how backhandedly) burying your partners.  

Then again Yoshitatsu does kinda suck.  

Haven't seen All Together but Kevin has done the same with New Japan talents like Yujiro in the past. So if there was company bias throughout the show then ignore me but otherwise could be mainly a) our audience are smart enough that if we put over certain talents it hurts our credibility more than it helps the talent with a sprinkling of b) it's ok for one or two names on a roster to suck, and sometimes sucking is a better gimmick than anything else they have going for them.

Edited by Salads

4 hours ago, Salads said:

Haven't seen All Together but Kevin has done the same with New Japan talents like Yujiro in the past. So if there was company bias throughout the show then ignore me but otherwise could be mainly a) our audience are smart enough that if we put over certain talents it hurts our credibility more than it helps the talent with a sprinkling of b) it's ok for one or two names on a roster to suck, and sometimes sucking is a better gimmick than anything else they have going for them.

Fair point.  I didn’t get a chance to watch the entire show to see if there was some further context.  Because I do like the team of Kelly and Carlton.

That being said.  I’d be surprised if Yujiro’s grandma wouldn’t bury him on commentary too.

• Like 1

Thinking about it Yoshitatsu and Yujiro are contenders for the worst NJ dojo graduates that went on to have a full career. Yoshi had that one good run before he left for WWE so maybe that disqualifies him, and I can't remember much about No Limit. I want to say Kenzo Suzuki subs in but am probably forgetting someone more qualified.

DVDVR could possibly be the place to have a kind of inverse March Madness to find the worst wrestler in a given criteria. To prevent it getting too neggy the only way to argue in favour of wrestler A getting to the next round would be to big up wrestler B's redeeming qualities and obscure career highlights. Put that WCW C-show deep cut spirit to use giving love to the loveless while the threads about the 30 awesome matches on free TV each week look on exasperated.

• Like 1

RE: Kevin Kelly & Chris Charlton burying guys - They do this quite a bit with House of Torture in particular (EVIL & Yujiro in particular, SHO they do play off that he's so capable but has gone down the wrong path) which is very much understandable, but I do think they can take it a bit too far at times. Specifically until this year's Super Junior they've been extremely harsh on Master Wato, who initially was the drizzling shits but sneakily started improving in 2022 yet they'd constantly bury him at nearly every opportunity. Sometimes I think they try to push online sentiment too much...

RE: Worst NJ dojo graduates - Mitsuhide Hirasawa (Captain New Japan/BONE SOLDIER) is the first to come to mind. Outside the one amazing Nagata carry job, Tadao Yasuda was terrible too. Michiyoshi Ohara is another that comes to mind too that was just as bad as Yoshitatsu/Yujiro/Kenzo. There are a fair few of those 80s/90s dojo guys that maybe someone that has seen more can judge better than I too that could go on the list (i.e. Shunji Takano, Fumihiro Niikura, Shinichi Nakano)

1 hour ago, Horangi said:

RE: Worst NJ dojo graduates - Mitsuhide Hirasawa (Captain New Japan/BONE SOLDIER) is the first to come to mind. Outside the one amazing Nagata carry job, Tadao Yasuda was terrible too. Michiyoshi Ohara is another that comes to mind too that was just as bad as Yoshitatsu/Yujiro/Kenzo. There are a fair few of those 80s/90s dojo guys that maybe someone that has seen more can judge better than I too that could go on the list (i.e. Shunji Takano, Fumihiro Niikura, Shinichi Nakano)

Hiroshi Nagao (or "the guy who debuted in a tag team title contendership tournament teaming with Takayama because his gimmick was that he was tall and immediately broke his ankle jumping over the top rope entering the ring") is forever my #1.

• Like 1