DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

All is know is:

a) Looks like I was right in that this is more Bull Durham The Wrestler inasmuch as the sport of the movie is the backdrop to a more complex tale of relationships and overcoming life's challenges (or not overcoming them)

b) The rare footage they'll show at Alamo Drafthouse before the movie is gonna be worth the price of admission by itself. 

• Like 3

The casting for Fritz is spot on. Looking over the full cast list on IMDB and I don't see Chris listed anywhere but Jack is. I wonder if they thought having five brothers die was just too much?

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 1

Yeah, it is very strange.  Also, Kerry looks like the smallest of the brothers and he was a friggin goliath.

I will probably stand up and do the Iron Claw hand gesture the first time Tom Sawyer or Stranglehold hits and then get thrown out of the theater by the ushers.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Part of me wishes that they'd made a misleading trailer that made it look like it was a fun party bro movie about having fun and friendship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They did show some kegs being tapped. I smell a supercut of chicks getting fucked in bathroom stalls and lines being blown. 

I feel like the talk of whitewashing is way overdone especially in regards to this movie when no one has seen it to say anything, but I feel like it's hard to really be taken aback by 80s excess. This goes especially for us as hardcore wrestling fans. We were talking about a potential Vince biopic in the wrestling folder. I mean unless it's the scene from Carlito's Way where it's some Caligula type shit with a bunch of young broads having sex with some crusty old dudes at Sean Penn character's ritzy backyard party, then there is very little shock factor. 

There is enough in the Von Erich story where you can have a bit of that and also be focused on what really happened. It's much like the story of Pablo Escobar. It legit took 2 or 3 seasons of Narcos to cover all the crazy shit that actually happened to Pablo Escobar. They didn't need to make up anything that wasn't substantiated. So here, I expect a few composite characters and maybe an off time line or two. However, I wasn't expecting a bonafide documentary in the first place.

• Like 3

Your post and that joke about Will Ferrell as Flair in the other thread made me think they could make a real good Anchorman-style parody of pro wrestling. I guess Nacho Libre already exists but something a little less... well, "Jack Black" would be in order. Or you could do something more hard edged but not as serious as The Wrestler. There's a balance in there for a black comedy, surely.

Martin Scorsese confirmed that his next project (after Killers of the Flower Moon) will see him immediately going back to the David Grann well

This time he will be adapting Grann's The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny, and Murder (the movie will be called just The Wager)

And of course it will star Leonardo DiCaprio.

• Like 1

Aw man, I posted that like 6 weeks ago. I even bought the book in anticipation of it.  😞   

All I know is KotFM is at 95 on RT with 105 reviews in.  Meta has it at 90 with 33 reviews so far.   

GET.  FUCKIN'.  HYPE!!!

• Like 4

American Fiction

Written and Directed by Cord Jefferson (directorial debut - writer: The Good Place, Station Eleven, Watchmen)

Jeffrey Wright, Tracee Ellis Ross, Issa Rae, and Sterling K. Brown

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 12:10 PM, RIPPA said:

Final trailer for Killers of the Flower Moon

I will try to catch this tomorrow after work and then try not to set anything on fire or punch anyone in the face while figuring out what I am going to do about dinner.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3