DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite New Year's Smash - 12/28/2022

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed, Eddie/Mox would've made awesome tag champs, and I also think it does a lot for the tag titles to have a couple main event singles guys like them hold them once in a while (especially if so many tag teams are also wrapped up in trios - Bucks, Best Friends, Lucha Bros, Dark Order just off the top of my head). I also think more egregious than either example though, was the loss to Jericho in that death match. Regardless of the 'visual win' with Jericho taking the bump at the end, it just didn't have the same gravity behind it - especially with the 'cant win the big one' etc. from Jericho in the build. I understand wanting to preserve that Dreamer-like perennial underdog thing with Eddie, or perhaps Eddie IRL doesn't want to be a champion due to personal reasons, but his 'arc' at some point is going to require a big win, and I thought that one was the perfect opportunity 

Was the death match before or after he beat Jericho on PPV? I honestly can’t remember, but if it’s after (and I’m thinking it was) it really served no purpose storyline wise other than to build to Blood and Guts. Which even when Eddie won there they didn’t make the big deal out of it they should have. If I were booking the stipulation would be the entire winning team gets a title shot of their choice. That would add intrigue to the match, and the months following it.

Part of why I said he and Mox should have won the tag belts is my favorite AEW tag title reign was by a team like you’re describing, Hangman and Kenny. They had awesome matches as champs and I felt like Eddie and Mox could have easily done the same. 

The Best Friends are another act that at some point really should get gold (either as a team, or with Orange as a trios).

• Thanks 1

That was pretty early into the Bucks big long run, and the first show with a large during COVID crowd. I remember, because I was there. I forget the circumstances, but Mox & Kingston just weren’t going to happen, and they were dead set on throwing the Lucha Bros(who were both healthy at the time) the big bone at All Out. I feel they were right, they just should’ve followed it up better for The Bros.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Part of why I said he and Mox should have won the tag belts is my favorite AEW tag title reign was by a team like you’re describing, Hangman and Kenny. They had awesome matches as champs and I felt like Eddie and Mox could have easily done the same. 

Perfect example right there (also loved that run too). To me, it harkened back to like when Sting/Luger held them in '96 

Re: Eddie, I think you are correct that it was after (which admittedly, did escape me when I typed it) - regardless, I agree they needed to make a bigger deal out of Eddie's B&G win (if the idea was that it was to 'make up for' the loss in the singles rubber match). 

He and Ortiz have been having some really good tag matches on Dark lately, 3 or 4 of which I saw live coincidentally, and the crowds are still way behind him - maybe they'll get a tag push in earnest at some point (Or you never know, perhaps Santana/Ortiz will patch things up and we'll see them all make a go in the trios division when his knee is rehabbed).

Edit @LoneWolf&Subsyou make a great point - if they go with Eddie/Mox, we miss out on that incredible Bucks/Luchas cagematch

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

Was the death match before or after he beat Jericho on PPV? I honestly can’t remember, but if it’s after (and I’m thinking it was) it really served no purpose storyline wise other than to build to Blood and Guts. Which even when Eddie won there they didn’t make the big deal out of it they should have. If I were booking the stipulation would be the entire winning team gets a title shot of their choice. That would add intrigue to the match, and the months following it.

Kingston beating Jericho on PPV was their first ever match. Then Anarchy in the Arena, then Blood and Guts, and lastly the Barbed Wire deathmatch

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:33 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m interested in what the plan is for Wardlow tomorrow. If they believe in him enough to give the belt right back. Joe’s been an absolute killer in this run, and I wouldn’t want it to end, but it wouldn’t surprise me with how AEW books that the babyface doesn’t walk out with the belt to win it all. Which leads me to believe that they either go double DQ, or Wardlow wins by countering the Kokina Clutch for the surprise pin, that way we get a rematch with a decisive win.

I think we see Hobbs out there breaking both guys' backs. Hopefully with the return of the Bullfrog Splash as well.

Edited by L_W_P

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t know if I want to see Hobbs back there yet. I really don’t know where Hobbs stuff is going, but I hope it’s a face turn.

Give me Hobbs as the new Wardlow.

Fantasy booking - 

Spoiler

He doesn't need to talk, just let him smash both guys for the double DQ. Then he beats Wardlow 1 on 1. Then he takes the title from Joe.

Wardlow then starts doubting himself and then MJF gets in his ear about a heel turn. DONT TURN HIM OR DO THE MATCH THOUGH. Just let it simmer while Wardlow has some more competitive matches working up the card.

Ideally I'd get to Wardlow vs someone like Darby or Jungle Boy for #1 contendership at Revolution in March with Wardlow vs MJF happening at Double or Nothing 2023, 1 year after their first match.

We didn't get two ladies matches, as I had heard we would, but at least the match we got was really good and got lots of time. Hitting a guy in the knee with a metal pipe is GREAT birth control

Spoiler

Because it makes the guy limp.

Great show all around, too to bottom. 'You're the worst Jeffrey since Dalmer' popped me hard. Joe and Wardog did a great job building everything around the knee. Elite and DT are SO creative! Gotta go! 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

On topic, Wardlow getting his knot cut seemed like a good revenge story for him to come back and finally win ... until Darby showed up. Now it reads like Wardlow being written off the show.

Best possible interpretation: Wardlow recovers from "injury" while Darby fails again, then Wardlow comes back and wins at a PPV. But tonight, Wardlow looks BURIED having the scrawny skate kid save him.

Fucking phenomenal show, otherwise.

• Like 2

Great show! Each match felt pretty epic and got a lot of time plus a Hook squash.  Crowd was on fire.

Moxley/Claudio entrance was badass, loved how they came off like the big power guys against Top Flight. 

Loved game 6 in the trios playoffs. Awesome finish. We're getting a game 7!!!

Good women's tag. Always love the TayJay tag theme. With the steel chair finish, I hope it leads to a hardcore rematch since we're on the 1 year anniversary of the TayJay/BunnyPenelope deathmatch

Acclaimed's new music video was my favorite one yet, hilarious with references to With my Baby tonight and Global Force Gold.

Super solid main event. Thought Wardlow might win it back but did feel it was too soon to take it off Joe now, so I'm glad to see the King of Television reign continue. Equally glad they are going back to Joe/Darby for another round after how good their last battle was. RIP Wardlow's hair, too bad Darby couldn't have made the save just a bit sooner. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3