DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Finances, Ratings, etc.

Log

So, adam Cole didn’t lose viewers. He didn’t gain any, which certainly anyone who is a star would do, but he didn’t lose any, either. The bar for him is literally the floor, but at least he cleared it this week, right @LF2?

• Like 2

With commercials, segments overlapping, etc., analyzing quarter hours is a fool's errand. I agree with Brandon Thurston that if you really want to judge how much interest there is in a person or program, check the views on AEW's YouTube clips.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

With commercials, segments overlapping, etc., analyzing quarter hours is a fool's errand. I agree with Brandon Thurston that if you really want to judge how much interest there is in a person or program, check the views on AEW's YouTube clips.

If that’s the case, going off of yesterday’s uploads….

Spoiler

EF8250-F6-ED17-4-A75-A5-F8-1-E619-D6500-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’d think YT views can be manipulated by bots, obsessive fans or both. (For anything, not just in this case) 

We're all open to better ideas, if you have them. Thurston also occasionally looks at how often a name is Google-searched.

Everyone should listen to Wrestlenomics, by the way. Especially if you're in this thread.

• Like 2

Listening to Wrestlenomics would make them well informed though. 

The people who argue in this thread don't want to be well informed, they want to cherry pick data that supports their argument and ignore data that contradicts it.

This thread is good for one thing, keeping all of this bullshit out of the discussion threads. And it's not actually that good at it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

The people who argue in this thread don't want to be well informed, they want to cherry pick data that supports their argument and ignore data that contradicts it.

This thread is good for one thing, keeping all of this bullshit out of the discussion threads. And it's not actually that good at it.

What data is being cherry picked, and what data is being ignored? Curious to see what is being over-looked / under-stated.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Oh I’m trying to support my anti-dork agenda. I’m open about it.

• Haha 2

The only thing I'd ever be curious about with regard to ratings is the one thing nobody ever mentions, and that's the average retention per show. I know folks like to moan about total viewership, but really, sales reps like to go to ad execs and say "70% of our audience watches the show all the way through" because that means their ads are going to get seen.

That, and watching a show all the way through when it's something like wrestling or a sport is actually somewhat uncommon. Basketball game's a blowout? Switch over to something else. It's halftime at the football game? Let's see what's on the other channels until it comes back. It's why advertisers hate things like RedZone and want to see it behind as many paywalls as possible, if not outright killed.

The goalpost isn't really "how much of the audience is watching the whole show", it's "is the audience watching a significant chunk". On a live two hour show, if your average retention is something like 75 minutes, you're going to have a network that's very happy with you.

These ratings posts also don't factor in live+3s, live+7s, et cetera, because people with DVRs apparently don't exist in their world, but for AEW, most signs point to WBD being fine with DVR viewership. Heck, their commercials for Food Network shows even outright say "set your DVR".

But anyway, I'm not sure why it actually matters. It's not like we get a cut of the profits, right?

... right?

WAIT DO WE GET A CUT?!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 3:13 PM, Sparkleface said:

But anyway, I'm not sure why it actually matters. It's not like we get a cut of the profits, right?

... right?

WAIT DO WE GET A CUT?!

Divided up between this many people, the already miniscule cut we get can go unnoticed for many months, until it is eventually rounded up as one cent. It doesn't mean that it isn't there, though. Keep checking the balance on your account.

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

No quarter hour breakdowns need be taken to mean too much of anything, but Q7 bucking the trend that hard followed by a 110k drop is fun. Everyone speculate wildly! 

More Taya!!!!

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

You mean people didn’t stick around for a forgone conclusion match against a couple of jobbers?

Ratings went up for the quarter hour where Moxley and Uno closed a show a couple months back. Guess it depends on the jobber or maybe it's about Takeshita? Draw your own wild conclusions!

• Like 1