Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Hopefully not opening too much of a can of worms here, but I've seen it mentioned in passing in some other threads here and elsewhere... Can someone give me a brief run down on why Jericho is toxic now?

As already mentioned, his image has been tarnished by supporting Trump, scoffing at COVID protocols, having Don Jr. on his podcast and just generally proliferating conspiracy theories that have no basis in reality. It is tough. For every negative, there seems to be a positive story of his generosity and compassion; however, it is hard to get past his dumbfuckery and politics. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on whether or not the house show matches will count toward win-loss records?

Matches announced for the April 9 house show:

Quote

-AEW World Champion Kenny Omega/Michael Nakazawa vs. Matt and Mike Sydal 


- “The American Nightmare” Cody Rhodes vs. “All Ego” Ethan Page


- AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks & Brandon Cutler vs. The Death Triangle (PAC, Penta El Zero Miedo, & Rey Fenix)


Also in Action...

- Darby Allin will put his TNT Title on the line LIVE at Daily’s Place!

- The Pinnacle of MJF, Wardlow, FTR, and Shawn Spears will be in the house!

- Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D. in action!

- Jacksonville’s Own Jade Cargill!

- Orange Cassidy!

- Eddie Kingston


And many more, with matches to be announced soon!

No exclamation point for Eddie Kingston is fun.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

So the TNT Championship isn't a TV title?

Even TV titles were never just defended on TV. The NWA and WCW versions of such were defended on plenty of house shows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pixies track must be one of the most lavish licensing deals in years. Feels a bit wasted there. Would be good on a main-event pusher (Darby suits it brilliantly, actually). Great track though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DEAN said:

Freedom At Point Zero is a great album.

Of course it is, any song that references the great Fritz Leiber ("The Girl with the Hungry Eyes") automatically gets extra coolness points!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I don't want to get conspiracy theorist on here (nobody needs more of those assholes in our lives) but if the finish from the explosion match went off perfectly in the trial tests why didn't anyone film them and why didn't they just show that to everyone? 

Spoiler

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280-900x900.

SHOW US THE TAPES! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Exaj6b9UYAYtsuJ?format=jpg&name=small

aewstackup_1_.jpg

Anybody want to join me and @El Gran Gordi preferring the All Elite Wrestling logo with the grey border, the original to the white version introduced a couple of months ago? Minor thing, I know. I think the grey compliments the other colours and it makes me think of the late, great Mr Brodie Lee who mostly wore grey in his ring attire.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Exaj6b9UYAYtsuJ?format=jpg&name=small

aewstackup_1_.jpg

Anybody want to join me and @El Gran Gordi preferring the All Elite Wrestling logo with the grey border, the original to the white version introduced a couple of months ago? Minor thing, I know. I think the grey compliments the other colours and it makes me think of the late, great Mr Brodie Lee who mostly wore grey in his ring attire.

That's a good point about Mr Brodie Lee, I think that's (at least subconsciously) part of why I prefer the grey border as well. 

I also like that it's "old school" and shows that I've been a fan since way back in the very beginning (2019).

It's hard to see in these pictures but my hoodie (like yours) and also my hat and my t-shirt are all in the original colours.

Spoiler

163212423_200769144754345_25867804399703

163540975_167788108518728_39633242394166

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

That's a good point about Mr Brodie Lee, I think that's (at least subconsciously) part of why I prefer the grey border as well. 

I also like that it's "old school" and shows that I've been a fan since way back in the very beginning (2019).

It's hard to see in these pictures but my hoodie (like yours) and also my hat and my t-shirt are all in the original colours.

  Reveal hidden contents

163212423_200769144754345_25867804399703

163540975_167788108518728_39633242394166

 

 

Thanks, @El Gran Gordi for saying I made a good point about the late great Mr. Brodie Lee. When I think of him it's as the Exalted One, the hilarious Dark Order segments on Being the Elite and the black/grey attire he predominantly wore, most famously in the two matches with Cody over the TNT Championship on AEW Dynamite: 22nd August 2020 and 7th October 2020.

Like you, I like that we're wearing the AEW Logo Premium Varsity Zip Hoodie (2019 Colours) that we've been there since AEW began. The grey border also compliments the black and grey on the hoodie. Added bonus was us getting it for 50% off in price and the 20% off Thank You sale to go with. Get in! So glad I didn't order the AEW Premium Varsity Zip Hoodie a few days earlier as I originally was going to. First time I used shopaew.com and I'd do so again.

Cheers for sharing the pictures, my friend. Said AEW hoodie, shirt, hat and NJPW hat suit you! Here's two of me:

Spoiler

159226413_10158104691403862_616885346970

6th March 2021, my 36th Birthday throwing up the Dark Order sign.

117192276_10157619872498862_322686545605

117310706_10157619211993862_261640656400

7th August 2020 imported from Japan. Went with an XL from my usual L size and it's a bloody good job because it's not a loose L, feels more like a M. Good job I got it when I did as you can't get an XL any more. Most I've ever paid for a hoodie. Had to do the hand gestures of my two favourite wrestlers in NJPW: Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi.

 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know I don't want to get conspiracy theorist on here (nobody needs more of those assholes in our lives) but if the finish from the explosion match went off perfectly in the trial tests why didn't anyone film them and why didn't they just show that to everyone? 

  Hide contents

 

SHOW US THE TAPES! 

 

This is the second time that something "looked really good in practice" and stunk out the joint when it mattered with the other being the great throne debacle. 

Could it be...

sabotage.jpg

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, Goodear said:

This is the second time that something "looked really good in practice" and stunk out the joint when it mattered with the other being the great throne debacle. 

Could it be...

sabotage.jpg

Who on the roster, or with otherwise access to the scene of "the crime" would have most to gain by this heinous act?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's clearly the beginning (or continuation considering the incident with Sydal) of that main event push for Nakazawa we've all been waiting for.

He's doing it for the people I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, A_K said:

The Pixies track must be one of the most lavish licensing deals in years. Feels a bit wasted there. Would be good on a main-event pusher (Darby suits it brilliantly, actually). Great track though.

I'm kind of baffled by this. You think this song is better for Darby Allin than something punk or gothic/industrial? I feel like all of Darby's friends would make fun of him if he came out to the Pixies.

Also, with the Jericho matches and all, Cassidy is clearly presented as much more "main event" than Darby is.

Edited by Dog
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, punkenhead said:

As already mentioned, his image has been tarnished by supporting Trump, scoffing at COVID protocols, having Don Jr. on his podcast and just generally proliferating conspiracy theories that have no basis in reality. It is tough. For every negative, there seems to be a positive story of his generosity and compassion; however, it is hard to get past his dumbfuckery and politics. 

 

Basically he's middle aged Will Ospreay these days.  I don't think he's toxic enough to ruin the show for me, (that would take someone like Marty or Joey Ryan), but overall I consider him more bad than good as a person right now- though he's capable of both.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dog said:

I'm kind of baffled by this. You think this song is better for Darby Allin than something punk or gothic/industrial? I feel like all of Darby's friends would make fun of him if he came out to the Pixies.

Also, with the Jericho matches and all, Cassidy is clearly presented as much more "main event" than Darby is.

Darby holds one of only two male titles in the company. The Jericho matches you are referring to culminated in comedy skits more than 6 months ago where somebody eventually fell into a pool of mimosa (yes, that happened on a national show that wasn't 2001 WCW), after which Cassidy promptly sauntered on back down to low-card w. scant mid-card appearances at best. There is no main event presentation there.

My defining memory of that track (and, I expect, many people's popular memories) are as the ending to Fight Club. In that respect, being paired with a talent whose shtick revolves around being beaten down but always rising up resonates well. Its an odd choice for Cassidy's more .. slapstick .. humour.

EDIT: I do agree Darby's current music is pretty good, so it is less an issue with that one more that this track (which is an epic one in the purest sense of that word and very widely known) is much-better suited to others on the roster.

Edited by A_K
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, A_K said:

 

My defining memory of that track (and, I expect, many people's popular memories) are as the ending to Fight Club. In that respect, being paired with a talent whose shtick revolves around being beaten down but always rising up resonates well. Its an odd choice for Cassidy's more .. slapstick .. humour.

 

I'd be pretty surprised if most people remember that track from the movie rather than as "a Pixies song" and I'd be very very very surprised if anyone else here thinks that Fight Club is a movie about a guy "being beaten down but always rising up."

I think it's a great choice for Orangey Boy. I'm already marking out in anticipation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re definitely misremembering OC’s post-Mimosa run if you think he “promptly” went back to the low card.  He was heavily involved with the TNT title after the Jericho feud.  He challenged Brodie once and Cody twice (the time limit draw and the lumberjack match) and was presented as an equal to both.  He had a feud with Dark Order that was likely building to a rematch with Brodie at Full Gear, if not for Brodie’s health.  Subsequent to that, he was involved with MJF for the diamond ring.

He’s been in a cooling off cycle since the year turned over, but he was super active with a lot of top guys from September through Christmas.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, alstein said:

 

Basically he's middle aged Will Ospreay these days.  I don't think he's toxic enough to ruin the show for me, (that would take someone like Marty or Joey Ryan), but overall I consider him more bad than good as a person right now- though he's capable of both.

 

 

He brought David Benoit and Sandra Toffoloni together. That gets a lifetime hall pass from me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I'd be pretty surprised if most people remember that track from the movie rather than as "a Pixies song" and I'd be very very very surprised if anyone else here thinks that Fight Club is a movie about a guy "being beaten down but always rising up."

I think it's a great choice for Orangey Boy. I'm already marking out in anticipation.

 

Yeah .. I think you're going to be surprised then. A casual look at the 64mil-listened Youtube track has all top comments (other than the first, referring to the music vid itself) making F.C. references (“You met me at a very strange time in my life.” // "I can’t hear this song without seeing the skyscrapers explode in the background" blah blah etc.). The wiki for the track itself has a section 'Cultural Impact" stating: "After being featured in the 1999 film Fight Club (in which the song plays over the final scene), the song gained an even wider audience and became iconic.". Mr Robot used it too, of course, as noted on the wiki .. which is a tongue-in-cheek ref. to F.C. for anyone who's watched Mr Robot. The film itself .. pretty clearly about a sub-section of male society who (rightly or wrongly) feel socially/economically ostracised so take a path of combat/hyper-masculinity to assert themselves before eventually reconciling their emotions/angst. But different topic altogether, and labouring on the point too long makes me sound like a fanatic for the film which I really am not ..

I am however very glad you will be marking out in anticipation for this; its a fun track & its cool you enjoy it in this context, I'm not trying to belittle that.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EVA said:

You’re definitely misremembering OC’s post-Mimosa run if you think he “promptly” went back to the low card.  He was heavily involved with the TNT title after the Jericho feud.  He challenged Brodie once and Cody twice (the time limit draw and the lumberjack match) and was presented as an equal to both.  He had a feud with Dark Order that was likely building to a rematch with Brodie at Full Gear, if not for Brodie’s health.  Subsequent to that, he was involved with MJF for the diamond ring.

He’s been in a cooling off cycle since the year turned over, but he was super active with a lot of top guys from September through Christmas.

  • Jeri feud concludes September H1;
  • Cassidy loses to Brody September H2;
  • Cassidy draws/loses to Cody October H1.

So that occurred over a roughly 5 week (1 month-ish) period. In the c. 20 weeks (5 months) since then, Cassidy has competed on Dynamite a total of 5 times (incl. the Brodie tribute show) against such luminaries as Luther, Kip Sabian, a 20-man battle royal & a tag w/ D.O. 10 & Cody against Team Tazz on Brodie tribute show (which never went anywhere thereafter). You're right, he also has 1 singles defeat vs MJF to complete that portion of work. I'd say a 1 month bump is a fairly .. prompt .. return to the low/mid-card with a bout on average once a month thereafter (and never really touching the top of the card again w/ his Miro feud).

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...