DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (with Special Guest Star Don Callis) - 12/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On the card:

No Holds Barred Eliminator Match  Kenny Omega vs. Joey Janela

Adam Page, John Silver and Alex Reynolds vs Matt Hardy and Private Party

Cody Rhodes vs Angelico

SCU vs The Acclaimed

The Inner Circle vs Best Friends, Varsity Blondes, Top Flight and Brandon Cutler

Serena Deeb and Big Swole vs Ivelisse and Diamante

My preview...

No Holds Barred Eliminator Match  Kenny Omega vs. Joey Janela

Not sure what makes it an "eliminator"? I assume this is being booked so Kenny can say he beat a hardcore guy in a hardcore match but he's already done that so I'm not sure what the purpose of this is? If anything, Kenny (the character) should be insulted having to work with Joey at all and spend most of the match showing up Janela before winning definitively after giving Joey a brief flurry. This is one of those cases where the best match possible is the wrong way to go and they should highlight the Omega character. If they go 50/50, they're hurting the story they should be telling.

Adam Page, John Silver and Alex Reynolds vs Matt Hardy and Private Party

I'm more excited to see the Page team up than anything else in this show. I wish they just put them against another team with no angle than put in what I assume will be the continuing heel turn of Matt Hardy that should already been done if they were doing it. 

Cody Rhodes vs Angelico

For the Being Cody Rhodes title, I expect Cody to beat both Angelico and Evans with no help as well as get locked in Angelico's finish and not tap out.  I set the over under of people coming to the ring with Cody at 2. 

SCU vs The Acclaimed

Acclaimed are green and can get lost trying to do too much. I expect them to flub at least once. I think they have the charisma to get over it but they really should have had a showcase as their debut instead of a competitive match they may not win.

The Inner Circle vs Best Friends, Varsity Blondes, Top Flight and Brandon Cutler

14 people in a match suggests a huge mess. I expect Trent to be the face in peril.  There will be masses of coils catching idiots everywhere. Top Flight has already been devalued in 3 weeks to obvious job team duty.

Serena Deeb and Big Swole vs Ivelisse and Diamante

Did someone make a bet that they couldn't put two people together with a bigger talent gap? What a waste of Deeb.

18 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Not sure what makes it an "eliminator"?

Kenny was supposed to face Joey in the tournament but since Joey was out Sonny took his place (sorry if you knew that already).  So I guess they figured to make that up and have Kenny beat him up in his own game.  And I don't expect they'll have the same match they did last time and it'll be laid out pretty much the way you mentioned it.  That's cool with me since with that's on the show I can't see it going long anyway.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

For the Being Cody Rhodes title, I expect Cody to beat both Angelico and Evans with no help as well as get locked in Angelico's finish and not tap out.  I set the over under of people coming to the ring with Cody at 2. 

For a nothing undercard match with no title on the line? And we haven't seen the entourage since Full Gear? I'll take the under and assume it's just Coach Arn.

Now watch Cody's ego make me out to be a fool. 

• Like 2

Wardlow is out due to a family issue, so Cutler was removed from the face side to make it a 12-man tag.

So we’ll all have to wait at least another week to hear JR passive aggressively shit on Cutler during a match.

Edited by EVA
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I really want to hear from or see Moxley soon.  After getting fucked out of his title, I feel like his character would come back for vengeance in a hurry, not disappear without a sound for any length of time.

Narratively/creatively speaking, I don't at all disagree with you, but I think in 2020 with everyone hip to the fact that he and Renee are expecting, it's not unforgivable. I think relative radio silence followed by a big return pop down the line is, while imperfect, a much better call than either a bullshit WWF injury angle that no one buys, or a lame via satellite "Kenny, watch your back! I'll be back when you least expect it!" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Narratively/creatively speaking, I don't at all disagree with you, but I think in 2020 with everyone hip to the fact that he and Renee are expecting, it's not unforgivable.

To be fair, she's not due for like 6-7 months so he doesn't really have any specific reason to be taking extended time off now because of it.

• Like 3

1) The good, the bad, and the hungee. 

2) Rappin' Frankie Kazarian

3) Congrats to Cody and Brandi. (And, technically, there were three people in Cody's entourage today).

Without even getting into the matches, this week gets a thumbs up from me.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 7

This was like a good episode of Thunder. Nothing major got advanced, multiple lower-card acts were featured instead of being spread out, everybody worked hard but it felt like a waste of momentum.

Once again I'm left with the weirdest takeaway - Griff Garrison looks like a star? Am I the only person seeing this? I like Jobber to the Stars llave-Angelico. I don't like Pac's neckbeard. Frankie Kazarian is keeping that Christmas Story elf energy going. Looking forward to the Rhodes baby being shot out of a cannon for Cody's eventual dad entrances.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2