DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. Howard Finkel

As someone who grew up in the NYC area, Howard was the msg announcer during the start of my Fandom, so the msg broadcasts would include Howard doing the hard sell on why you want to come back next month announcing rematch and who will be appearing.   I also loved Howard going heel on wwe TV and doing things in the booming announcer voice.

• Like 4

Nothing much I can add here. Finkel and Mike Lange(Pittsburgh Penguins play-by-play guy) are the preeminent voices to the soundtrack of my childhood. 

Grade school bored me. Was fortunate to be the type to learn things quickly and easily, which led to me having a lot of free time in class. So I started having matches with ballpoint pens at my desk. Had an entire federation, rankings and everything. I can't tell you how many times I got yelled at by teachers for doing the Fink voice for my bouts while other kids were trying to learn.

• Haha 3

How many figures in wrestling are unanimously considered the best to do what they did? Even with Heenan as a color man, there are no shortage of people that prefer Jesse. 

But Fink is universally regarded as the best. I’m honestly struggling to think of anyone else with as much GOAT market share for their specific role on a show.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

How many figures in wrestling are unanimously considered the best to do what they did? Even with Heenan as a color man, there are no shortage of people that prefer Jesse. 

But Fink is universally regarded as the best. I’m honestly struggling to think of anyone else with as much GOAT market share for their specific role on a show.

Bobby Heenan as the best manager of all time is the only one I can come up with. I also prefer Heenan to Jessie Ventura on colour commentary.

Says it all that everybody rightly regards Howard Finkel as the best to ever ring announce.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Yeah, the key, key point of me watching as a kid, that extreme sweet spot was when I was 9-11 or so, from fall 90 to fall 92, and I associated Capetta more than Fink from that. So he's more of a voice of my childhood memories. That said, as someone who's spent much of the rest of his life watching wrestling from all eras, it's Fink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cubbymark said:

How cool would it have been if you could have gotten Fink to "ring announce" your wedding?

How much of a fight was it between the groom and the brides parents to get this to happen? I'm assuming he promised them a grandkid asap! I can see the brides dad not wanting to soil the banquet hall from Johnny Sac's daughters wedding with in his words "some friggin wrestling guy." Also if you were at the wedding this would be fun for the first three bridesmaids and groomsmen, after that it gets more and more annoying since you're starving after sitting through an endless wedding mass you pre-gamed to hard for.

• Haha 2

The entrance music choices were really cool for the most part. The in-laws coming out to Linda McMahon/Mania VII theme. The kids getting the Doink theme. The maid of honor doing the Hitman's sunglasses gimmick. The groom doing the Hogan shirt ripping was funny.

54 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I could see someone making a case for Gary Michael Capetta. but a lot of that is tribalism about preferring a WWF alternative. 

Presumably Jimmy Lennon is the only rival in wrestling history.