DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. Howard Finkel

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Just remembered another Howard Finkel call:

"This match...MUST CONTINUE!"

I've always been partial to his call for the famous Boot Camp match, smoothly laying out the stips. "In this bout, ANYTHING goes... EVERYTHING goes."

This is neat: Finkel actually did color with Gorilla Monson on a Meadowlands show in December 1984. Sadly this is the only clip I've found of it (the infamous Piper's Pit with Sal Bellomo)... would love to see more of it as he was REALLY good from what I remember. Makes you wish he had more chances to do it because no one in that group knew their shit more than he did.

RIP Fink.

2 hours ago, cubbymark said:

The entrance music choices were really cool for the most part. The in-laws coming out to Linda McMahon/Mania VII theme. The kids getting the Doink theme. The maid of honor doing the Hitman's sunglasses gimmick. The groom doing the Hogan shirt ripping was funny.

The kids should have gotten heel Doink's theme. 

...and because I'm a weirdo, I would have had a backup outfit ready for my entrance, the Max Cady look and Waylon Mercy theme

As someone else here said, he was the voice of a generation.  I started watching wrestling shortly before 'Mania 1.  Finkel was THE announcer and seeing him on Coliseum videos, PPVs, etc just made every match so much more special.

"The winner of this bout........AAAAAAND NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW....."

RIP

• Like 3

Dave just said he is holding off today's release of the new Observer issue because he is in the process of doing a long piece on Finkel's passing and career and feels that it has to be in the new issue and can't wait. 

Edit to add the tweet:

Edited by sabremike

35ps8b986bt41.jpg

The note on the board.  ?

I mentioned this when Iron Mike Sharpe passed away... one night at the Garden he (decided to/was told to) have some fun with Fink.

Finkel: "Introducing first, from Hamilton Ontario Canada-" *Sharpe grabs mic*
Sharpe: "CANADA'S GREATEST ATHLETE, IRON MIKE SHARPE!!!" *gleefully hands mic back to Fink*

Finkel (clearly miffed but not missing a beat): "Say no more!"

• Like 2

While I am sure at the time it had to do more with Hogan than Finkel, it's still a testament in some way that Howard's post-match announcement of Hogan as the NEW champion was used to start the intro for WWF's All-Star Wrestling program for the next two-and-a-half years, long after Hogan was the "new" anything.