DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

That Catherine Tate has fans at all is mindboggling and very scary to me :(

FWIW, Catherine Tate is easily my favorite companion.  They kinda did the "space boyfriend" thing with her, but it seemed more natural to the character.  And, to be honest, I took Tate more seriously because she was older and not a supermodel.  As much as I don't mind seeing Jenna Louise Coleman on my tv. I do wish they'd get away from the "horny old doctor/impressionable supermodel" dynamic.

Mostly, though, Donna was just a fun character  And she had incredible chemistry with Tennant.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see the next companion for Capaldi's Doctor be an older woman who looks her age (I'm picturing grey-haired Meryl Streep).  Though actually, I'd like to see the next companion be a non-human.  I'm assuming they stick to type, though.

I was disappointed with Osgood's death, but I really liked the scene and how they did it so I can't complain much. I don't think she would have worked well as the next companion anyways. Personally I'm hoping for a male though a non-human would be nice as well.

I thought Osgood would have made for a great companion because she's the perfect "what's that?!" type. She just seemed to make for a great research assistant for the Doctor, who would always be exasperated at the events going on around her. So much so that we could avoid another girl having a crush on the Doctor.

I'd have liked Osgood to be a companion as well, but it's kind of silly to think she wouldn't have a crush on him. She had a crush on him more than most already, she was literally cosplaying.

Didnt a picture of Frobisher show up on the tardis console?

Plus, there was a big finish audio, and the mini movie put mcganns companion as canon.

Weren't the two Frobisher audio stories explicitly set in the comics canon as opposed to the 'main' BF timeline? (And I am still kind of astonished that C'rizz is canon, since that has implications for Rassilon etc)

So I've been listening to the U.N.I.T. miniseries. It gets crazy dark in the third episode including

UNIT's successor as the UK's men-in-black squad, ICIS, using mind control tech and suicide bombers to incite a race war in London.

This came out just before the first season of the new show started, and while the new series can be fairly dark at times this still feels like something the BBC wouldn't have greenlit a year later.  All that said, I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm looking forward to the Brig fixing everything in the final issue, and David Tennant showing up just a few months before he became the Doctor. 

Not as far as I know.

Listened to the final episode of U.N.I.T. and it was excellent. Doesn't really fit in to the new series timeline, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. The idea of Harry Sullivan making Commodore and becoming NATO's head of medical research is pretty hilarious, though. (he never appears due to Ian Marter having passed away years ago, but is referenced and the Brigadier has a one sided convo with him over the phone.)

He envisioned a scenario where (after all his other plans had failed) he could get her wanting to kill him so badly that the Doctor would do it instead, thus, in his mind, damning the Doctor forever. The idea behind this was that her "control freak" nature would constrain the Doctor in such a way that he would have no choice in the matter.

It's all pretty tenuous at best and should be understood as the Master not really understanding humanity and compassion and such things.

I just realized the implication of last week's Who finale.

No heaven/hell/God, and all the graves on earth are now empty. The metaphysical crises alone is the ballsiest idea a supposed "kids' show" has ever thrown out. No wonder they got complaints after part one.

• Like 2

For me Capaldi is the most interesting Actor to play the Doctor since Baker, and he did a good job with poor material this season.

I feel he needs a really strong second season. Eliminate the girly sidekick, aim it in a terror-edge of the sofa direction and it will be game on.

"None of the kids at school like Capaldi." said the 12 year old today. A lot of the kids in his GT English class watch Who apparently. He doesn't like him either and thinks it's very bad that they went from someone as fun as Matt Smith to him and hopes he moves on very quickly.