DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2017

Dolfan in NYC

Wolfsburg is one of the money clubs which never learned how to build a real team. They won the title 2009 when they had Magath spending money left and right, next season they were already somewhere in the middle of the pack, thereafter in double digits ranking wise. They have never been consistant. I'm not naive, you definetly need to spend money to achieve success. But Wolfsburg never had a timeframe in which they were a consistant contender or at least consistantly top 5. 

Soooo, CL final is very likely to be Real versus Juve. Juventus is truly back to being a European superpower in footie. Didn't expect Real to bully Atletico like that. Real would be the first club to come close to defending a CL win since Manchester United in 2009 who made the finals following their 2008 win. Since the Champions' Cup has been rechristened Champions League, not club has ever won in consecutive years.

Euro League could get Ajax vs Man U which would be a really cool final name-wise. Ajax was somewhat mediocre in Europe over the last two decades, who knows what a final would do for them. Man U basically needs this title win for Mourinho to salvage a subpar first United season. I'm sure he would find the words to even do that if he needs to in case of not winning Euroleague, but judging by the investments done before the season, finishing the season outside CL spots and without silverware would be quite disappointing.

12 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Soooo, CL final is very likely to be Real versus Juve. Juventus is truly back to being a European superpower in footie. Didn't expect Real to bully Atletico like that. Real would be the first club to come close to defending a CL win since Manchester United in 2009 who made the finals following their 2008 win. Since the Champions' Cup has been rechristened Champions League, not club has ever won in consecutive years.

Euro League could get Ajax vs Man U which would be a really cool final name-wise. Ajax was somewhat mediocre in Europe over the last two decades, who knows what a final would do for them. Man U basically needs this title win for Mourinho to salvage a subpar first United season. I'm sure he would find the words to even do that if he needs to in case of not winning Euroleague, but judging by the investments done before the season, finishing the season outside CL spots and without silverware would be quite disappointing.

We won the league cup, so we won something. But yeah, that's not acceptable by our standards. Win the UEFA Cup and it's a successful season IMO because it's the only thing we've yet to win and it punches a CL ticket.

Totally forgot about that one, the two-cup-competitions thing I tend to forget. No idea why. My apologies!

I think Euroleague has established some prestige due to the entertaining games and - despite Seville taking three titles in a row - less stagnant field of cimpetitors. So it's definetly a good title to win. And as you said, it punches the CL ticket.

Few decisions in Bundesliga left. Leipzig has secured a direct qualification for the Champions League. It'll be interesting to see what this means in terms of transfers.

Darmstadt's fairytale ended yesterday in a 0-1 defeat to Bayern. They will go down into the 2. Bundesliga. Shame imo.

Newcastle takes advantage of Brighton giving zero fucks and wins the Championship on the last day.

Championship playoff semifinals - Reading vs Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday vs Huddersfield

Relegated - Blackburn Rovers, Wigan, Rotherham

• Like 1

Final day of the Championship sees Newcastle (champions) and Brighton go up to the PL automatically, with Reading/Sheffield Wednesday/Huddersfield/Fulham to contest the third promotion spot. 

At the business end of the table, Blackburn Rovers fall to League One along with Rotherham and Wigan. Birmingham and Nottingham Forest beat the drop. 

• Like 1

Bradford City in the League 1 play-off final against Millwall. It's my team, the Bantams against the side I don't want at all to get promoted out of the ones who made the play-off places. C'mon City!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Either Pete and I posted at the same time, or he has added me to his ignore list. ;)

Usually it is Pete just needing to get his shit in

The nice thing about next season is the EFL has signed up 61 of its 72 teams to offer an all-in-one streaming package (Live and on-demand).. so if your team doesn't make it to the premier league, you cna watch a hell of a lot more games next season.

Plus it's the only way I might see Cambridge United other than being the ritual sacrifice in the Cups...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

The nice thing about next season is the EFL has signed up 61 of its 72 teams to offer an all-in-one streaming package (Live and on-demand).. so if your team doesn't make it to the premier league, you cna watch a hell of a lot more games next season.

Plus it's the only way I might see Cambridge United other than being the ritual sacrifice in the Cups...

Sadly, almost all that i know about Cambridge United is hearing Max Rushden talk about them. :)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, odessasteps said:

Sadly, almost all that i know about Cambridge United is hearing Max Rushden talk about them. :)

They're a very small team, didn't even make it into the League Structure until 1970 (Back then, the lowest ranked teams weren't relegated out of the bottom division, they were instead placed in a vote by league teams whether they would keep their spot in the Football League, or if a non-league team would replace them/)

Since then, it's been a rollercoaster, they made it up to the Second Division (what we would call the Championship now) in 1978, but in 83-84 and 84-85 were relegated twice in a row, setting unwanted records at the time of most games without a win (31 in 1983-1984), and most losses in a season (33 in the Third Division, 1984-85).

Then in 1990, they hired John Beck, and started shooting back up the ranks again, getting back to the Third Division in 1990, and then WINNING the third division the next year (Both years they made the FA Cup Quarter Finals.. they had a lad you might have heard of, Dion Dublin.

Then came 1992. Cruel Cruel 1992.

In their first year in the division, they finished fifth in the Second Division, and would be one of four teams scrapping it out for a spot in the new English Premier League. Sadly, they lost out to Leicester City in the playoff semifinals (they tied 1-1 at home, but was gubbed 5-0 at Leicester.)

Then they fired Beck, and started down the pyramid yet again, and by 2005 were back in "non-league" football, in the Conference.

They made it back in 2014 (winning the FA Trophy the same year), and are currently in League Two. (Last year, they got a big money boost when they drew with Manchester United in the FA Cup, and earned a big money replay at Old Trafford)

So: Lots of highs, lots of lows.

• Like 1

Yup, looks like Hull is headed to the championship. Last day of the season next week looks like it will be a complete dud drama wise.