DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2017

Dolfan in NYC

I think it's safe to say Guardiola is a good coach, but he definetly isn't pushing teams beyond their glass ceiling. Monaco and Leicester in the mix is quite nice. It will be interesting to see if they can shake up things, I fear semis might be Barcelona, Real, Atletico and Bayern once more...unless the luck of the draw prevents it.

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

I hope the Mrs. keeps Pete away from all sharp objects after today's game in Monaco.

You may get to meet her at one of the Cosmos games. :)

• Like 1

Champ's League draw:

• Leicester City vs Athletico Madrid
  • Borussia Dortmund vs Monaco
  • Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid
  • Juventus vs Barcelona
  • Like 1

Yes. It's never a seeded tournament, every round is a random draw.

Has losing to West Brom sealed Wenger's departure, or is it just quite funny? I mean, usually Tony Pulis teams go on holiday once they're over 40 points, but they put a shift in there. And Arsenal didn't.

• Like 2

It's odd howeasily it all plays into the 'glove-wearing foreign softies can't handle a bit of cold' narrative. Even though almost every premiership team now largely consists of non-UK players who wear gloves in winter.

12 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I was about to say, this season is definetly worse I'd think. Isn't usual Arsenal throwing away the championship in November / December in February, then hustling back for top four in February?

There might not even be a Europa League for Arsenal next year, either.

11 hours ago, AxB said:

It's odd howeasily it all plays into the 'glove-wearing foreign softies can't handle a bit of cold' narrative. Even though almost every premiership team now largely consists of non-UK players who wear gloves in winter.

And there's the whole going to Stoke thing. It was funny to hear Crouch talk about the Stoke effect on teams on a recent Graham Hunter podcast. 

The thing is, and most of you are too young or too new to the game to get this context, before Wenger took over and gentrified them, Arsenal were considered a thug team - not in a 'the fans are hooligans' sense, in a 'the first XI is a pack of thugs' sense. Bloody Allardyce said the reason he instigated the "No signings under 6 feet tall" at Bolton was because he was sick of seeing his team line up in the tunnel against Arsenal and look like an under-16s team by comparison. So Wenger coming in and gradually pussifying them really gets under the craw of all the old school thump-it-hard footy fans. Especially since when they were winning it was by combining the prettyboy attack he'd installed with the great-thick-lumps-of-beef back 4 he'd inherited.

• Like 4

I think you hear that with some of the Arsenal-related pundits who respect Wenger but may have also been part of the "1-0 to the Arsenal" era. I think that would include Dixon and Keown and probably Wright, who was a striker but there during George Graham era.

i loathe all those Fan TV things, but from afar, the Arsenal Fan TV guys really do come off as 1970s throwbacks, when i hear clips on pods like Second Captains. 

Rest in peace Ronnie Moran, a true Liverpool football legend. Nearly half a century with the club as both player and coach, a huge part of the boot room and twice a caretaker manager. People associated with the club raved about him. I know he's been struggling with his health for a while, so I hope this brings some sense of peace to him and his family. Thank you, Ronnie! 

C7gwWwVXwAAlwMi.jpg

Third to right. 

• Like 1

Lukas Podolski just said his farewell with a stunning goal from long range in a friendly against England. Haven´t seen the match, but the goal and what a goal it was. I´m sure it will show up on youtube soon enough. I´m going to miss that guy, though he wasn´t doing much for our squad over the last two years.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Lukas Podolski just said his farewell with a stunning goal from long range in a friendly against England. Haven´t seen the match, but the goal and what a goal it was. I´m sure it will show up on youtube soon enough. I´m going to miss that guy, though he wasn´t doing much for our squad over the last two years.

This should be a link to the replay of the livestream as per ESPN's website:

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/3036860/size/condensed/