DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I never watch award shows of any kind, but caught the Get Lucky performance on the youtubes and liked it a lot. Too bad they almost ruined with shots of the crowd dancing, at first it was nice seeing that big crowd getting down like that but then it just became spot-a-celebrity-dancing-awkwardly-for-attention.

EDIT: Dat Hat doe

I did love Jay Z rocking out to Willie Nelson's performance. He knows how fucking gangsta the man is... there's a reason it's called "outlaw country."

Also dug the history with Metallica performing "One" 25 years after they blew everyone out of the theater with the same song and got hosed out of the Grammy.

Shame the two cool Beatles went first. The Beatles Anthology documentary makes Paul come across as a major airhead.

Screw that noise. Ringo is way cooler than anyone will give him credit for.

Sir Paul is the coolest.  I used to be a Lennon guy, but slowly sort of switched sides over the last few years.

Paul's Bonnaroo headlining set sealed the deal for me last year, though.  Not only did he sound like he owns a time machine, but he also spent about 30 minutes telling cool stories and talking about random shit.

• Like 1

Never really liked Paul's solo work. To be fair, he has way more and that yields way more Junk (haha haha, I'm sorry) but Wings were pretty good. Then there was that weird music video with MJ, that was weird before MJ became the Wacko Jacko we all knew and feared and then mourned.

I only follow country music so maybe this phenomenon is limited to that genre but I'm worried about the future of the US music industry as it seems the "little guy" is being squeezed out more & more.  It seems that unless you are a big megastar that gets tons of mainstream exposure & airplay, you are doomed to be marginalized into complete irrelevance.  It seems the airwaves are increasingly becoming overtaken by just a few dozen artists that have "the machine" behind them.  Lower level acts and artists whose primes were 10 years ago seem to be increasingly dropped by labels and taking to kickstarter/PledgeMusic/"D.I.Y" type sites to fund gettting albums produced and released.  And you know there will be zero airplay or promotion for these projects if they have to scrape by to even get product out there.  It's just a sad state of affiars as I fear that more & more artists are being marginalized out of the venues needed for people to even hear them & discover their music if they are being squeezed out by the big corporations.

I mostly listen to rock music and I don't think that is the case there.  You see bands that aren't on the Black Keys/Kings of Leon/Arcade Fire level all the time on the late night shows like SNL, Fallon, Kimmel, Colbert.

I only follow country music so maybe this phenomenon is limited to that genre but I'm worried about the future of the US music industry as it seems the "little guy" is being squeezed out more & more.  It seems that unless you are a big megastar that gets tons of mainstream exposure & airplay, you are doomed to be marginalized into complete irrelevance.  It seems the airwaves are increasingly becoming overtaken by just a few dozen artists that have "the machine" behind them.  Lower level acts and artists whose primes were 10 years ago seem to be increasingly dropped by labels and taking to kickstarter/PledgeMusic/"D.I.Y" type sites to fund gettting albums produced and released.  And you know there will be zero airplay or promotion for these projects if they have to scrape by to even get product out there.  It's just a sad state of affiars as I fear that more & more artists are being marginalized out of the venues needed for people to even hear them & discover their music if they are being squeezed out by the big corporations.

You, and most people really, are looking at this the wrong way.  I'd say that the mainstream megastar idea is just about dead, and artists ability to make money off of their music is easier than ever.  I'd say that the fact that artists no longer have to sign exploitative contracts with major labels, only to get a ridiculous advance that will leave them in debt to the record label is probably a good thing.  With Spotify, Itunes, Youtube and all the different festivals, artists can profit from their work easier than ever.

It's this strange thing where that is both true and untrue.  Radio is, unquestionably, becoming less accessible to smaller artists.  Blame media consolidation, or just blame the death of the music industry reducing it down to only playing the most popular stuff.

On the other hand, it has never been easier to find music by smaller, more obscure acts than right now.  The internet puts everything at our fingers.