DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2016.

The Natural

I just realized the Rumble is this Sunday.  That threw me because it's usually held in the bye week between the NFL conference championship games and the Super Bowl.  Any idea why they changed it this year?

If they had done in on the 31st - they would have only had three weeks before Fastlane (and they tend to hate the "only 3 weeks between PPVs thing")

Plus - next week the Magic have a home game so the arena wasn't available

• Like 1

I can't see any match besides HHH vs Reigns headlining Mania, and that probably means HHH is walking out of the Rumble with the belt. Roman vs Brock at Fastlane in a #1 contender match. Honestly I'm just going to watch for the lulz if it's any good that'll be a pleasant surprise. We'll probably end up with Los Matadores instead of AJ, Joe, or Sami.

WWE has a chance to setup something interesting, but its not going to happen. I have no interest in Reigns making it to the final four and WWE should really get rid of that Royal Rumble trope. Having Reigns get eliminated within the first 15 minutes will definitely set the stage of 'anything can happen'. The 'shocking' end will most likely involve HHH/Brock/Reigns with Reigns eliminating Brock and then HHH tossing Reigns or HHH dumps Brock/Reigns to the outside and both of their feet touch the floor at the same time. At this point it really comes down to which contrived and overly stale ending WWE decides to go with, because there is no other ending.

My only question is how is ANYONE in their right mind going to be able to eliminate the Big Show? This is a 7-foot, 450-pound monster we are talking about. The largest athlete in the world! He's got to be the odds on favorite to win Sunday.

• Like 11

My only question is how is ANYONE in their right mind going to be able to eliminate the Big Show? This is a 7-foot, 450-pound monster we are talking about. The largest athlete in the world! He's got to be the odds on favorite to win Sunday.

This kind of shit is why it was okay for Show to win the Andre battle royal last year: in order for their "big guys are the favorite" narrative to make any sense, they have to give the big guys the win every now and then.

• Like 1

I like the way you kayfabe.

• Like 1

I just know that they're going to make my favorite gimmick match of the year terrible, and I felt more gleeful about it until I realized that it's probably just going to end with HHH as champ. 

Which, ugh, that's the blandest way to make me dislike the Rumble. 

• Like 1

Last year's Rumble wasn't bad. I mean, the guy virtually nobody wanted to win, won the rumble match itself (remember when people pretended to cancel their Network subs? ) , but the show itself was pretty good.

Triple H winning the whole thing would actually make the most "storyline" sense, but something tells me that's not happening. I'm going with Ambrose or Owens.  I think we'll see a couple of surprise entrants, aside from Styles. I'm thinking Bryan, Balor, Zayn, or maybe HBK.

Surely the "World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry is up to the task of lifting the 7 foot 450 lbs Big Show!

• Like 3

Last year's Rumble wasn't bad. I mean, the guy virtually nobody wanted to win, won the rumble match itself (remember when people pretended to cancel their Network subs? ) , but the show itself was pretty good.

Triple H winning the whole thing would actually make the most "storyline" sense, but something tells me that's not happening. I'm going with Ambrose or Owens.  I think we'll see a couple of surprise entrants, aside from Styles. I'm thinking Bryan, Balor, Zayn, or maybe HBK.

Did you watch the same show as everyone else last year.  While the undercard was ok, the Rumble match itself is widely regarded as the single worst put together Rumble match in history, and that counts 26 years, featured a dead crowd during 90% of it, and made everyone wonder how Noble kept his job as an agent after that.

Did you watch the same show as everyone else last year.  While the undercard was ok, the Rumble match itself is widely regarded as the single worst put together Rumble match in history, and that counts 26 years, featured a dead crowd during 90% of it, and made everyone wonder how Noble kept his job as an agent after that.

The undercard is what I was referring to, yes. In particular, Brock vs Seth vs. Cena. Fantastic match.

What stunt do you think Kofi will do this year?

Have they done it yet so that Big E is just about to come in as Kofi is being eliminated? Big E could catch him as he's being thrown out and throw him right back in.

I feel like they did that spot last year, did they not?

I don't think Ambrose or Owens are going to be in the Rumble. I think being in  a Last Man Standing match kind of eliminates them - or at least it should - it just seems like a "both guys are dead after this" kind of match. 

WWE.com has confirmed the following:

1. Roman Reigns
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Chris Jericho
4. The Big Show
5. Sheamus
6. Dolph Ziggler
7. Bray Wyatt
8. Luke Harper
9. Erick Rowan
10. Braun Strowman
11. Ryback
12. Stardust
13. Curtis Axel

Add the League Of Nations:

14. Del Rio
15. Barrett
16. Rusev

Social Outcasts said they are in:

17. Slater
18. Dallas
19. Rose

Have to assume New Day is in:

20. Kofi
21. Big E
22. Woods

Triple H returning seems like a lock:

23. HHH

Mark Henry cut a promo about being in the match on YouTube.

24. Mark Henry

That leaves six spots for any surprise entrants, as well as guys on the roster like: Dudley Boys, Kalisto, Tyler Breeze, Neville, The Miz, Goldust, Stardust, Titus O'Neil, Ascension, Uso's, and of course Owens/Ambrose if they are in.

To be fair - I was talking about him not being included in the Social Outcasts list.

But for some reason he is already confirmed. So clearly he is the only Social Outcast who knows how to properly move some money around.

• Like 3

Kane kind of HAS to be in it. He has been in every Rumble since 1998, hasn't he?

EDIT: Also, that list of entrants has StarDust listed in it, but then also says StarDust has not been confirmed yet in the bottom line of guys. Also, in the promo with Titus, they all pretty much said they are in the Rumble, so add R-Truth and Neville to the list. So let's take another look:

1. Roman Reigns
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Chris Jericho
4. The Big Show
5. Sheamus
6. Dolph Ziggler
7. Bray Wyatt
8. Luke Harper
9. Erick Rowan
10. Braun Strowman
11. Ryback
12. Stardust
13. Curtis Axel
14. Barrett
15. Rusev
16. Slater
17. Dallas
18. Rose
19. Mark Henry
20. Titus O'Neil
21. R-Truth
22. Neville

That takes out everybody who has a match earlier in the night. Add them back in and we get:

23. Ambrose
24. Owens
25. Kalisto
26. Del Rio
27. Jay Uso
28. Jimmy Uso
29. Kofi Kingston
30. Big E
31. Xavier Woods

So now we're over 30 and have no surprise entrants, so that makes me think that those who are in earlier matches will NOT be in the Rumble at all, unless they make special exceptions. Like del Rio, who indicated that he would be in the Rumble, even though he has the US Title match.

Others currently on the roster who are not in any other match and could possibly show up in a Rumble spot: Kane, Tyler Breeze, Dudleys, Ascension, The Miz, Damien Sandow, Zach Ryder, Darren Young, Fandango, Jack Swagger