DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL PRE-SEASON THREAD

Gonzo

How did I not notice Denver signed Gary Kubiak as OC?  As a Baltimore fan, this makes me almost as happy as him leaving the Ravens in the first place.  Enjoy his play calling wizardry, Broncos fans.  His entire system is, "call rushing plays on typical passing downs and vice versa, because surely nobody will ever expect that!"  3rd and 20?  HANDOFF!  3rd and 1?  They're definitely expecting the run so let's go deep!

Dude's whole play calling philosophy revolves around trying to be entirely too fucking cute.  Actually, he's great for Denver because Peyton will audible out of every call anyway.

Was Lawrence Phillips really a bust?  Lawrence Phillips was a player who was drafted #6 because Dick Vermiel has the world's softest heart.  I don't know if he would have been drafted in the first round by anyone else.  The writing was on the wall with him from day one, and I don't think you can call him a bust when so many people saw his career coming.  Trent Richardson is a bust, because everyone thought he was a sure thing.  He's probably the player people have been most wrong about.  Coming out of college he looked like the complete running back, but he's almost completely inept. 

How did I not notice Denver signed Gary Kubiak as OC?  As a Baltimore fan, this makes me almost as happy as him leaving the Ravens in the first place.  Enjoy his play calling wizardry, Broncos fans.  His entire system is, "call rushing plays on typical passing downs and vice versa, because surely nobody will ever expect that!"  3rd and 20?  HANDOFF!  3rd and 1?  They're definitely expecting the run so let's go deep!

Dude's whole play calling philosophy revolves around trying to be entirely too fucking cute.  Actually, he's great for Denver because Peyton will audible out of every call anyway.

Head coach, which is even funnier.

Speaking of drafts, has there been any recent drafts with a worse first 10 than 2012's now?  Other than Luck and Kuechly, it's starting to look rather bad.

2013 is no great shakes either. Basically what we are learning is never draft anyone, ever.

2013 Top Ten:

Eric Fisher

Luke Joeckel

Dion Jordan

Lane Johnson

Ezekiel Ansah

Barkevious Mingo

Jonathan Cooper 

Tavon Austin

Dee Millner

Chance Warmack

Top two QBs picked:

EJ Manuel

Geno Smith

2013 NFL Draft was pretty bad all around

Since UT is playing Notre Dame this weekend we've been talking about the hilarious history of overhyping and overrating of the Domers. People talked about Ron Pawlus (and Brady Quinn), and I brought up the original Pawlus, Rick Mirer. While certainly not a Leaf or Russell-level bust, he's gotta be in the discussion.

• Like 1