DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Just finished the film half an hour ago or so. I thought it was decent. I didn't like Batman killing people or how easily manipulated he was. Eisenberg was ok, but I just don't like this particular take on Lex at all. Its fine for another character, but not Luthor. I feel like the fight the battle in Metroplis didn't really get properly addressed which was especially annoying seeing as how it was the biggest reason for Bruce looking for a fight. I also feel like they didn't really address how Clark views his detractors at all which was also annoying as they made good points. I don't know it feels like there was a smarter movie in here that got lost by them wanting to do more of an action blockbuster. The stuff it sets up for the rest of the coming movie universe could be interesting, but I still can't find myself terribly excited for whats coming.

Honestly, I feel like this was the least manslaughtery Batman of the post 66 films. Very Mike Barr about it anyway. But like, Tim Burton has the murder of a ton of goons with the Bat-Machine gun. Nolan has an entire temple of ninjas plus probably the guy he killed them all trying to save, then later Ra's al Ghul.

If anything this feels like an inversion of the Nolan paradigm. A Batman who's so weary and broken that he's lax about casualties he doesn't directly kill and can forsee a future where he just cold murders dudes because that's how far things have gone.

13 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

The logic in using Ezra Miller ahead of Grant Gustin is well beyond me.

Not just because Ezra Miller is highly punchable. Not just because Grant Gustin is very good. Not just because...continuity.

When Zach Snyder was asked about not casting Grant, he said something along the lines of "If we cast Grant now, it can effect things later" I took this to mean that DCTV characters might show up in the movies during a later storyline and this way they can bring in the TV characters w/o effecting TV storylines by possibly doing a Crisis of Infinite Earths storyline. My guess is due to the popularity of DCTV we will see the characters show up at some point in the movies and we'll eventually get some movie characters show up in the TV show, even if just a small cameo.

Just now, EVA said:

I was shocked to find out Christopher Nolan films better car chases than Zack Snyder.

That's actually true, and odd now that you make me think about it.

Snyder's best stuff is the hand to hand combat.

So of course they have Doomsday energy powers instead of it just being a brawl.

26 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Honestly, I feel like this was the least manslaughtery Batman of the post 66 films. Very Mike Barr about it anyway. But like, Tim Burton has the murder of a ton of goons with the Bat-Machine gun. Nolan has an entire temple of ninjas plus probably the guy he killed them all trying to save, then later Ra's al Ghul.

If anything this feels like an inversion of the Nolan paradigm. A Batman who's so weary and broken that he's lax about casualties he doesn't directly kill and can forsee a future where he just cold murders dudes because that's how far things have gone.

That is sort of the problem. He is just a few steps away from Punisher territory which is not something I want from Batman.

5 minutes ago, Ligerbusa said:

Kind of impossible anyway since Suicide Squad is almost ready to go and Wonder Woman is months into filming.

Justice League is just weeks from beginning filming, too.

Which makes me worry for Snyder's health.  He already looks like the MoS/BvS productions aged him 10 years.  Now he's jumping straight into the JL grinder.  He's going to look like post-nuke Superman by the time this is over.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Batman "killed" more people in the Burton films but try telling that to someone who is all "fuck Snyder!".. they don't want to hear it.

I honestly don't remember the Burton films all that well as its been a long while since I saw them. I suspect I wouldn't be the biggest fan of them now. Two wrongs don't make a right by the way. Even the Nolan films never left me completely comfortable in the killing regard.

Thing is, they haven't announced or even really leaked rumors of who is in this JL movie that's supposed to start shooting in a couple weeks, beyond the heroes. No word on who is playing the villain, or any new supporting characters, or anything. It's odd.

54 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Batman "killed" more people in the Burton films but try telling that to someone who is all "fuck Snyder!".. they don't want to hear it.

Two wrongs don't make a right.  

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I was shocked to find out Christopher Nolan films better car chases than Zack Snyder.

That's a shock?  The "Harvey's locked in the back of an armored car" epic truck-fu battle in The Dark Knight is a better, more coherent, more tightly paced, more tense action scene than anything Snyder's ever done after Dawn of the Dead.