DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

For me it starts and ends here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_team_names_and_mascots_derived_from_indigenous_peoples

Let's have a discussion about what people think are proper names and which ones are improper instead of picking one team out to shame.  There are a lot of teams named Redskins but only the Washington Redskins are being singled out.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_team_names_and_mascots_derived_from_indigenous_peoples

Let's have a discussion about what people think are proper names and which ones are improper instead of picking one team out to shame.  There are a lot of teams named Redskins but only the Washington Redskins are being singled out.  

Well, that's also the problem- because there's also a lot of people who'd say it's all or nothing, and that Florida State (who have permission from the Seminole tribe to use the name) is no different than using the Washington Redskins. The line does vary from person to person on this issue, and there isn't ONE line that fixes it.

And you don't see the alternate viewpoint that says targeting a billion-dollar company with a national brand is rather more effective then targeting assorted high schools most people have never heard of as valid?

To be fair, the Compton (CA) (Yes, that Compton) High School Tar Babes is pretty bad.

And you don't see the alternate viewpoint that says targeting a billion-dollar company with a national brand is rather more effective then targeting assorted high schools most people have never heard of as valid?

Let's have a discussion about what people think are proper names and which ones are improper instead of picking one team out to shame. There are a lot of teams named Redskins but only the Washington Redskins are being singled out.

Well, that's also the problem- because there's also a lot of people who'd say it's all or nothing, and that Florida State (who have permission from the Seminole tribe to use the name) is no different than using the Washington Redskins. The line does vary from person to person on this issue, and there isn't ONE line that fixes it.

I went to the Frozen Four and met people from North Dakota who told me that the Sioux want the school to use their tribe name. They had given permission since it was one bit of pride left that the white man had yet to take but were told by the NCAA that they had to change their name because FSU brings in a lot more money. Same goes for The Fighting Illini.

Sad to say at the end of the day it comes down to money.

If Danny Boy gets a new stadium for free he will change the name in a minute.

• Like 1

No group of actual living people should be used as mascots without their approval, but the name Redskins is especially egregious since it's actually a racial slur.  Calling someone an epithet based on the color of their skin is a pretty shitty thing to do.  Naming a business venture after one is just ridiculous.  Hence the USPTO's retraction of Snyder's trademark.

The Redskins get the most heat because:

1. Their owner is a dick who has been especially in-your-face about his resistance to changing the name, which provokes his detractors
  2. As the last team to integrate, with a bigoted owner who fought against having blacks on his team until the league and government stepped in and forced him to, they have a dodgy history WRT race relations.

I am not for the Redskins keeping the name. I just think it should be part of a larger debate and discussion after hearing about how North Dakota got pushed around by the NCAA. The SJW crusade against the Redskins has reached a point in their faux anger where 'this person is always wrong, look at the wrong person' and I just tune it out now.

Is Snyder a jerk? Yeah, a massive jerk but I enjoy having him in the division and as an owner because as an Eagles fan they are fun to laugh at. If he sold the team they might get someone competant in there and we do not want that to happen. It is more fun to watch them implode every year.

The RG3 trade is one of the best running laughs going for Eagles fans.

If you convinced half of the high schools to change their name you could say that there is a groundswell of people supporting change as evidenced by what is happening at the high school and college level.  At those levels it is easier to effect change than to continually push against a stubborn man.

I agree.  But it's easy to see how the Redskins get the most attention, due to their name being demonstrably worse than the others and due to them being on a national stage.

You can still laugh at their ineptitude when they're called the Washington Warriors or whatever.  A name change won't change how bad they typically are.  ;)

• Like 1

What? Anyone willing to idiotically shoot at an army of machine guns knowing damn well his ass is gonna be Swiss cheese is a man of giant nerve. That doesn't come along often. Like those European nations who thought fighting the Nazis with swords and horses was a good idea.

Still doesn't make him any less of an idiot tho.

He also clearly is the last person in America that doesn't know what Google is. Because he keeps propping up disreputables and keeps getting torched.

Dan, you'd run a $100 background check for the guy who cleans the toilets at Redskins HQ. Maybe, possibly do the same for these people shilling for your brand. The one you've petulantly painted yourself in a corner with.

Actually, fuck it. Play on, playa.

Well, there's a rich history of that behavior.  After all, the team was supposedly named after their coach who was also a fake Indian.

Olbermann dug out a news story that found an article from the 1930s where Marshall said the team wasnt named after him.