DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Marvel is shunting the X-Men into their own "separate, but equal" universe after Secret War.  The irony of it all!

Sounds like Marvelution to me...

What? have we all forgotten Marvelution?

James

• Like 1

Marvel is shunting the X-Men into their own "separate, but equal" universe after Secret War. The irony of it all!

James

FOUR editors in chief! Makes perfect sense to me! (iirc this was the period you were an intern, yes?)

Marvel is shunting the X-Men into their own "separate, but equal" universe after Secret War. The irony of it all!

James

FOUR editors in chief! Makes perfect sense to me! (iirc this was the period you were an intern, yes?)

No, never was an intern,  was a fully paid employee. Marvelution was 96 (I think, it was Bob Harras idea), I worked in the mail room from 90-92. The ideea that each line editor was now his line's EiC made no real difference. The only mandate was that X-Men was to b treated as off limits to anyone else. So much went wrong during that period. Byrne's Spidey was a flop, Heroes Return was kinda meh and X-Men was in that weird space where no one seemed to really care even though it was still the top book.

James

Marvel is shunting the X-Men into their own "separate, but equal" universe after Secret War.  The irony of it all!

Its been rumored for a bit now, and there are definitely some who want it. I personally loath the idea and hope nothing comes of it.

Its been rumored for a bit now, and there are definitely some who want it. I personally loath the idea and hope nothing comes of it.

I usually would say this will last a year and then everything will be back to normal, but in this crazy post-DC-New-52 world, who knows?

Marvel is shunting the X-Men into their own "separate, but equal" universe after Secret War. 

No they aren't. I assume this is the quote you're referring to:

"The X-Men office is taking the opportunity of 'Secret Wars' to build an entire new world for the characters -- to create a shared universe within the X-books that's set off by a huge event/incident/surprise,"  [Axel] Alonso said in response to a fan question submitted via the CBR Community. "At that point, they're going to introduce a new team that feels unlike anything you've seen before. It'll be... 'extraordinary.'"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/alonso-teases-new-world-for-x-men-following-secret-wars

Sounds more to me like they'll just be allowed to do their own thing, without getting drawn into company-wide crossovers.

Alonso on twitter:

Relax, folks. Everything ends with Secret Wars but the X-Men will remain an integral part of the Marvel Universe.

https://twitter.com/axelalonsomarv/status/581829870868676608

X-Men were all but in the own universe during the Morrison run, too.  Not sure now about the other books, but it was pretty notable that none of the roughly 8,000 New York based non-Mutant heroes made any attempt to stop Magneto/Xorn/Whoever the fuck Marvel decided that actually was after Grant left...

X-Men were all but in the own universe during the Morrison run, too. Not sure now about the other books, but it was pretty notable that none of the roughly 8,000 New York based non-Mutant heroes made any attempt to stop Magneto/Xorn/Whoever the fuck Marvel decided that actually was after Grant left...

There was actually a throwaway big that the Avengers were off planet and the FF were in another dimension. But that's definitely the problem with NY being the center of the MU.

X-Men were all but in the own universe during the Morrison run, too. Not sure now about the other books, but it was pretty notable that none of the roughly 8,000 New York based non-Mutant heroes made any attempt to stop Magneto/Xorn/Whoever the fuck Marvel decided that actually was after Grant left...

There was actually a throwaway big that the Avengers were off planet and the FF were in another dimension. But that's definitely the problem with NY being the center of the MU.

And Spider-man, and Daredevil, and Luke Cage, and the other 4,512 heroes in the city?

EDIT:  However, moving the X-Men to San Fran helped a fuckton with that.  If only Greg Land hadn't been drawing so much of that.

Cyclops: Starstruck. It was a nice father/son bonding experience with the young Scott getting to learn quite a bit about his father and himself, future & past tense. Was a good read. I only wish we got a little more Starjammers.

Amazing Spider-man: Family Business. The plot did little for me, and kind of led to nowhere. Waid & Robinson, while fine writers, don't write Pete quite as well as say Slott or even Gage. And the art while great looking felt fairly off in a Spider-man story even with the spy implications. Even with my complaints it nothing bad really. I would actually say its quite decent. It just felt unnecessary.

X-men: Bloodline. Decent little story and nice way to write Kymera out. Not a bad end to Wood's run but still nothing memorable.

X-men: Exogenous. It always good seeing Brand, and the plot was pretty decent and nice return for Deathbird. It was particularly great getting to see Rachel in more starring role in a story. This was a nice read and probably better than anything Wood did previously this run. Its honestly kind of sad how much better Guggenheim did than Wood considering this was nothing but a fill-in and Guggenheim's own busy schedule.

The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 6): Goblin Nation collects The Superior Spider-Man #27-29, The Superior Spider-Man Annual #2 and The Superior Spider-Man #30-31 in this order. In TSSM #27-31 written by Dan Slott and Christos Gage, the Green Goblin/Goblin King has built up an army to take over New York City via the Goblin Protocols allowing them to be undetected. Things are bad, can SpOck make things right?

I really enjoyed the first four issues for the verbals between SpOck and the Green Goblin/Goblin King, seeing whether Otto Octavius can fix things and the Mindscape as Peter Parker tries to remember who he is as he relives Otto’s life. I was sad when Doctor Octopus erased himself from the Mindscape so Peter regains control as I’m a big fan of the Superior Spider-Man era. It’s something seeing Peter suit up in the traditional red and blues free from Octavius’s possession for the first time since The Amazing Spider-Man #697. Even though TSSM #31is the longest issue, things feel a tad rushed. Still the issue provides one of the best moments in Dan Slott’s long run as head writer on TASM/TSSM as the Green Goblin/Goblin King learns the original Spider-Man is back. A very good story.

TSSM Annual #2 is made up of two stories, the first sees Ben Ulrich trying to save his nephew, Phil the former Hobgoblin, now Goblin Knight from his life of crime. The second story has Sajani Jaffrey from Parker Industries trying to cure Carlier Cooper of the Goblin Formula as the Wraith gets involved. A very good annual written by Christos Gage. NDVDVR/SC

The Amazing Spider-Man: The Parker Luck collects The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1-6. I read them originally published in single magazine form but include the title of the books collection so you have a choice of selection. Peter Parker is free from Otto Octavius’s possession and is the Amazing Spider-Man. Peter Parker wasn’t the only person the spider bit biting a girl called Cindy Moon a split second later. Cindy Moon becomes Silk years later thanks to Spider-Man’s interception in this story. Black Cat and Electro seek revenge on Spider-Man for his actions when controlled by Otto Octavius.

I have mixed feelings about this storyline. I like the use of The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home, one of the best ever Spider-Man stories with Ezekiel/his bunker/Morlun and the fallout from Otto’s reign as Spider-Man. I’m unsure about Cindy Moon/Silk sharing Spider-Man’s origin. I’m not keen on how Silk’s powers are better than Peter’s and particularly how often she saves Spider-Man, both feel forced. My main complaint is the controversial treatment of Black Cat based on her appearances in the 1990s Spider-Man carton, The Spectacular Spider-man animated series which belongs with the best ever Spider-Man stories and in the comics I’ve read with her in. Electro is pointless.

An anti-climatic return for TASM placing just above or in the bottom tier of the books written by Dan Slott during his run as sole writer on TASM/The Superior Spider-Man. The two issue recent revival of TSSM with #32-33 is a lot better than this. I’ll be posting that review ASAP.

More from Alonso on the X-Men:

Speaking of speculation, one of your answers to a fan question last week in this very column, about the future of the X-Men books after "Secret Wars," got a lot of people talking, with some folks concluding it literally meant that the X-Men will now be existing in their own separate universe. Can you respond to that reaction?

Alonso: I tried to address that in one of my rare tweets responding to fans. [Laughs] No, we're not segregating the X-Men into their own universe. The X-Men are an integral part of the Marvel Universe. They play a big role in "Secret Wars," and those mutants that survive the event will be crucial building blocks for the Marvel Universe moving forward.

I'll bet I just said something that's going to fuel the conspiracy theorists, but whatever...

It seemed that it spread pretty quickly, and for some people, it became definitive that "new world" meant something very specific.

Alonso: I wasn't trying to tease anything or create ambiguity or lead anyone astray. Not on that topic, at least! [Laughs]

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/axel-in-charge-marvels-major-rage-of-ultron-twist-the-x-mens-post-secret-wars-future

And for what it's worth, C.B. Cebulski had this to say at Emerald City Comic Con:

When asked about a perceived suppression of the Fantastic Four within Marvel publishing, Cebulski dismissed the notion that the characters are being held back. "There will be a 'Fantastic Four' book," Cebulski said, adding that the characters play an important part in "Secret Wars." "The characters are still loved." Cebulski also pointed out that Human Torch will be a part of "Uncanny Inhumans," as revealed earlier this week.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/eccc-marvel-from-black-vortex-to-secret-wars