DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Man, I'm currently reading the Big Hero 6 miniseries from 2008 and now I'm even more perplexed as to why they chose this to make a movie out of. This book is absolutely dreadful.

Maybe the original mini from 1998 was better.

Captain America: Iron Nail. Dr. Mindbubble wasn't as interesting as I hoped. Can't help but think he would have worked better in Remendwr's UXF. Not sure how I feel about the SHIELD WMD Helicarrier, especially when these things drop like flies anyways. Did think the Iron Nail himself looked cool though I was hoping for a bit more on why he hated America and turned traitor. Never felt it was explained well here or in the previous volume. I did enjoy the continued exploration of Jet Black's character, especially her meeting Red Skull.  Decent enough though still lacking something to make it truly worthwhile.

Deadpool: the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly. The White Man story had its occasional humorous moments, but was bit too ridiculous. That said, the main story was really good. The team up with Cap and Logan was fun and made sense storytelling wise. It was also nice getting Wade to be a more serious as we see how much his life was fucked up by this particular organization that had been watching him. I recall hearing about this getting good here, and I can see what people mean. Hopefully the quality keeps up in the next few volumes.

Thor Volumes 2-4. The Dark Gods arc was solid, but it felt like there could have been a but more exploration into the group. The Eight Day was an interesting crossover. Still not quite enough exploration into the villains, and Spider-man felt very tacked on. Would have been more interesting if the X-men were involved with Xavier. Also wasn't fond of some of the Exemplars' designs. One of them in particular was just a ripoff of Wolverine's AOA costume. It was still a decent enough story. The Enchanters arc was ok. It was nice seeing Wanda involved, and i did like that it tied back in with the annual. The Jake Olson storyline has started to get on my nerves a bit. It takes up too much time, and you can tell Jurgens lost his way when he turned Olson's partner, Demetrius, face when he was clearly intended to be the criminal the police were searching for. The Thanos arc was pretty enjoyable with Mangog just fucking planets up while helping Thanos search for these dangerous ancient artifacts. Only thing I wasn't big on was the conclusion which saw Thanos seemingly destroyed. Not sure what Jurgens was thinking there. Anyways the run has been solid so far though with more hiccups than i expected this early in.

So CM Punk is writing a story in the Thor Annual. Can't say I'm excited since I'm not really a fan, but I don't really know how he would be as a writer either so who knows.

And even more horrible news for at least one board member:

--C.M. Punk will be taking over the final page of the final issue of Marvel Comic's Superior Foes of Spider-Man #17 which comes out next week. He hand wrote a long note about the book.

What do you have against Remender? Wouldn't call it good, but I'm actually enjoying AXIS.

I've found him to be really awful since the Dark Angel Saga in Uncanny X-Force. And honestly, how he wrote Scarlet Witch in UA was pretty revolting to me as an X-fan who's supposed to be buying that book to see an actual unity squad.

I've only read so much Scarlet Witch so I'm not really sure how he was supposed to write her. It did feel like some X-fans were being kind of unreasonable about it, but then again that  is just my impression from the CBR  X-board which scares me sometimes.

The point of his Uncanny Avengers run was to build it into a real Unity Squad instead of just having them work together with no problems from the getgo. I do think he took a bit too long on his big first story there even though I think it turned out solid by the end.

Wanda being a bit resentful over the way mutants act toward her would've been more than understandable as along as it changes over the course of the story. Remander wrote her as a raging bitch who shat all over the X-Men while standing at the founder's grave. He just comes off so incredibly tone-deaf when it comes to the mutant narrative that ruins any sort of story he tries to write about them, IMO(To be fair, it's hard when everyone involved with the team are written like absolute morons). He didn't really have to worry about it on Uncanny X-Force since that was just all about Wolverine's kill squad fucking things up beyond all repair.

Agreed that the X-Books board is certainly home to some very eccentric folks, but I don't think they're really wrong with how Wanda's been portrayed in UA there.

It was coming off of AvX where everyone acted like assholes from what I understand so it was kind of expected. Anyways she actually did move on from it. It just took time as one would expect. It was the same with Rogue. The only reason anyone is acting crazy now is because their personalities have literally been inverted due to magic.

• 3 weeks later...

Deadpool: Deadpool vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. Not as dark as the last volume, but it builds well on it in terms of Deadpool's state of mind. It also gives a nice conclusion to the Preston in Wade's head story that has been running since the volume began. The comedy wasn't too bad, and I enjoyed Coulson under Duggan's and Posehn's pen. Solid read.

Iron Man: Ring of the Mandarin. Dug Tony vs. Malekith and the Dark Elves, and the conclusion to the ring story was solid. Still I'm somewhat disappointed Gillen's run overall. I enjoy it, but it just never felt like it reached full potential. Tony in space was wasted on the convoluted retcon of Tony's and Arno's origins. Never got to really know Arno to well which is especially sad as Gillen started hinting at some interesting differences in perspectives. And finally Tony as businessman/futurist/the man never really got pushed as far as it could. Hopefully the writer of Superior will address the last two as I know that particular story was something Gillen was seemingly aiming for. Anyways, despite my complaints I enjoyed this volumes a decent bit and enjoyed Gillen's run on the whole. Was never amazing, but it had some strong parts like Fatal Frontier. I probably enjoyed it more than the previous run by Fraction. I just think Gillen's run never quite lived up to its potential.

The Punisher: Black and White. Solid beginning setting up Frank in a new city with new allies, adversaries, and an interesting plot involving AIM in the background. Its bit weird reading Frank as a normal character again after Rucka's run where he was something of a force of nature for the first 2/3, but it was nice overall. Not sure how I feel about the black op Howling Commando team yet, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes. Another solid read.

Mighty Avengers: Family Bonding: Good read going more into Ava's character and the character and background of Blue Marvel. The stuff with Blue Marvel's kids was a particular nice and dark touch. Hopefully Ewing gets to go further in on it as loved the adventures Adam had with his older boy when he wasn't a superhero. It was also nice to see the stuff with Blade building and finally starting to push forward from the background. I'm really enjoying this run so far. When I saw people calling the best Avengers book out there a while ago I kind of rolled my eyes, but I can sort of see their point. The characterization is good and doesn't have the baggage the other Avengers books have to deal with. The stories are simple enough, but really manage to build on and add to the characters' stories. There is also a nice camaraderie between the characters that is missing in most of Marvel's team books as they are constantly building towards events. Ewing has something good here and I can only hope it last for a good while.

I've been rereading the original Spider-man run.  I think this is easily the single best early run of stories of any superhero.  Batman, Superman, Hulk, X-men, all had to flail around for a while before they found the groove.  Spider-man was fully formed right from day one.  It's almost like, I dunno, like what happened with the TV show Firefly, except Spider-man wasn't cancelled halfway through his first year.  Every bit of his mythology just slammed into place so quickly, so efficiently; that's probably the best writing Stan Lee has ever done.  

• Like 1

I've been rereading the original Spider-man run. I think this is easily the single best early run of stories of any superhero. Batman, Superman, Hulk, X-men, all had to flail around for a while before they found the groove. Spider-man was fully formed right from day one. It's almost like, I dunno, like what happened with the TV show Firefly, except Spider-man wasn't cancelled halfway through his first year. Every bit of his mythology just slammed into place so quickly, so efficiently; that's probably the best writing Stan Lee has ever done.

Fantastic Four hits all cylinders after the first couple of issues and basically kicks ass for the next 100. But you're totally right about Spider-Man. And as awesome as the Ditko run is, I always thought it fully formed into the best shit when Romita took over.

I'm a huge Ditko fan, but I have to concede that just as Kirby was the illustrator for the FF, Romita was the guy for Spider-man. I'm always torn between Ditko and Colan when it comes to Dr. Strange. Completely different styles, yet both captured the essence of the character like no one else. Another tough call is Thor: Kirby, Buscema, or Simonson? I'm kind of partial to Big John, but it's a really, really difficult choice.

Story-wise, Guardians 3000 is picking up nicely. The dialogue is also way less obnoxious than in #1. But I still absolutely hate the art.

It was so damn nice to see Abnett drop much of his made up slang. That shit was so damn annoying to read through. One or two words every now and again is fine. Half a dozen used every other sentence is just terrible. I don't hate the art per say, but it reminds of the problems I had with McDaniel on Nightwing and whoever did the art for Cassandra Cain's Batgirl. Its just too cartoony for the tone, and gets especially bad with how extreme the arrtist will go with the facial expressions at times. Complaints aside I'm enjoying the book.