DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm doing a reread of Avengers/New Avengers (Hickman) first. I'm knee deep into Infinity now and everything holds up so much better this way. The enormity of the run is amazing. The ideas are amazing. The foreshadowing for some things was right in front of our faces but we'd have no way of knowing. It's just so weighty and moves with such unstoppable momentum. 

I've read Morrison comics where they really sing once you read interviews with him but this run really only works the second time through. 

I'm doing a reread of Avengers/New Avengers (Hickman) first. I'm knee deep into Infinity now and everything holds up so much better this way. The enormity of the run is amazing. The ideas are amazing. The foreshadowing for some things was right in front of our faces but we'd have no way of knowing. It's just so weighty and moves with such unstoppable momentum. 

I've read Morrison comics where they really sing once you read interviews with him but this run really only works the second time through. 

Yeah, I'm planning to do the same thing; marathon the entire Hickman Avengers story from start to finish once Secret Wars wraps up.  

Question: what is integral to the Hickman story?  I've already got Avengers, New Avengers, & Infinity.  Planning to pick up Secret Wars as the individual issues come out.  Planning to pick up the first trade of Avengers World at some point.  Anything else?  Hickman left Avengers World after 5 or 6 issues, but Spencer took over as sole writer.  How much does that tie-in?

Thanks.

World kind of gives you more of a focus on some of the characters and then helps fill in the gaps for some of the things during the six month gap. It's not necessary.

That said, Avengers World #17 was probably my favorite single issue Marvel put out last year. (even if I wouldn't call it the best).

• Like 1

I have been pretty vocal in my disappointment with TRO specifically and Hickman's Avengers generally. Holy shit did Secret Wars exceed my expectations. So much payoff, so much crazy and so many cool end of the world moments.

I couldn't find a better place to put this, so I figured Marvel thread, but someone on twitter asked Rob Liefeld "If you drew Jesus how many pockets would you add" and it made me laugh entirely too much. The internet can be awesome sometimes. 

• Like 3

I couldn't find a better place to put this, so I figured Marvel thread, but someone on twitter asked Rob Liefeld "If you drew Jesus how many pockets would you add" and it made me laugh entirely too much. The internet can be awesome sometimes. 

Well, don't keep us in suspense.  What was the answer?

An excellent, if quite long, summary of everything that's built to Secret Wars from Secret Warriors #1 til the present.

The author is a goddamn hero; important things I missed out on the first time 'round (wherein I was reading Avengers, but saving World and New until they hit Marvel Unlimited) include the true identities of the Mapmakers, Banner pointing out that the Avengers Machine was a sham 18 months before Steve figured it out, and more.

• Like 1

My review of Edge of Spider-Verse, a five issue miniseries to introduce Spiders who will play a part in Spider-Verse:

Edge of Spider-Verse #1, Spider-Man Noir. This has Spider-Man Noir and Mysterio the Magician is after his blood. I bought this having read Spider-Man Noir: Eyes without a Face. I liked this issue. I wouldn’t mind reading the original Spider-Man Noir origin at some point.

Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman. I was undecided about buying this but I’m so glad I did. I really enjoyed this alternate take on Gwen Stacy and two other characters I won’t spoil. This great issue stands out for the writing, the art and this new universe. Due to the deserved acclaim the issue received, it was given an ongoing starting in February 2015 by the same creative team. It’s on my subscription and I will be reviewing them.

Edge of Spider-Verse #3, Dr. Aaron Aikman The Spider-Man. Dr. Aaron Aikman, the Spider-Man is out to stop a villain called Naamurah from kidnapping people. I thought this was an average story, the explanation for him becoming Spider-Man was weak compared to other Spiders and how Aikman uses an Iron Man suit with Spider powers when he’s Spider-Man has been done before. I liked the nice touch introducing the villains with Marvel trading cards and Aikman’s relationship with Dr. Kaori Ikegami.

Edge of Spider-Verse #4 sees Patton Parnel becoming the Spider-Man of this horror story. I liked how it looked at someone already disturbed getting powers. Parnel isn’t likeable though his upbringing hasn’t helped.

Morlun kills Parnel and in doing so saves Sara Jane, the only likeable main character.

Edge of Spider-Verse #5, Sp//dr. Ms. Peni Parker’s father, SP//dr dies. Sp//dr is a metal suit. Peni Parker is the only person who can take his place due to genetics and she does. Like Edge of Spider-Verse #3, Araon Aikman The Spider-Man, this features a Spider-Suit but it is done much better here. Written by Gerard Way, yep that Gerard Way. Out of the five issue miniseries, I have this second only to the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman issue.

Secret Wars #2 was awesome. 

Oh hell yeah, that comic got me so hyped up!  I haven't been this excited for a comic series in years.  Hickman has been amazing in the last few years for Marvel, and it's so cool to see all his big plotlines from FF & Avengers coming together.  I am ALL IN!

Ah, goddamnit, you guys are forcing me to catch up on everything Hickman's done since the Fantastic Four/FF runs ended.  I read about two issues of his Avengers and lost interest, but I guess I have another project for the summer now.  I refuse to read anyone but Hickman, though, so hopefully I don't get too lost.

Ah, goddamnit, you guys are forcing me to catch up on everything Hickman's done since the Fantastic Four/FF runs ended.  I read about two issues of his Avengers and lost interest, but I guess I have another project for the summer now.  I refuse to read anyone but Hickman, though, so hopefully I don't get too lost.

Speaking of which, what should I read in order? I know then what to look for at my library. Here really helped for the reading order of Grant Morrison's Batman run. Thanks.

An excellent, if quite long, summary of everything that's built to Secret Wars from Secret Warriors #1 til the present.

The author is a goddamn hero; important things I missed out on the first time 'round (wherein I was reading Avengers, but saving World and New until they hit Marvel Unlimited) include the true identities of the Mapmakers, Banner pointing out that the Avengers Machine was a sham 18 months before Steve figured it out, and more.

This was an excellent summary of all of Hickman's Marvel work so far

SWEET CRAP!

After reading that you're basically telling me that...

The reason why the MU multiverse is dying is because Doom is killing every version of the Beyonder he can find in order to save it?

Yeah I know that's really not it exactly but no I'm going to have to buy every damn trade of Hickman's MU stuff

James

• Like 1