DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I think a better comparison would be Satchel Paige. The Negro Leagues and MLB had similar caliber players at the time.

Satchel didn't come to the Majors until well after his prime but you wonder how he could've done if he had gotten there 10 years earlier.

• Like 3

Yeah that NWA/WCW was such a small time group. Not like Sting was in one of the most successful shows and angles in wrestling history.

Good to see WWE brainwashing has been this successful. 

Was in the middle of typing something similar when I saw the new post notification pop up. I remember when he joined the Wolfpac, all the kids I went to school with were like:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Sting is the only guy TNA could not diminish. He had more than a few matches in TNA that should be on a retrospective dvd. 

If we're talking about the best of Sting's TNA run, his BFG matches against Joe and Angle spring to mind immediately. I also loved his run as GM. Easily the best face authority figure in recent memory. 

His match against Flair exceeded every expectation I had. Sure, I lowered the bar so much that they could've walked over it. But that didn't make it any less fun. 

Sting is the only guy TNA could not diminish. He had more than a few matches in TNA that should be on a retrospective dvd. 

If we're talking about the best of Sting's TNA run, his BFG matches against Joe and Angle spring to mind immediately. I also loved his run as GM. Easily the best face authority figure in recent memory. 

His match against Flair exceeded every expectation I had. Sure, I lowered the bar so much that they could've walked over it. But that didn't make it any less fun. 

Speaking of exceeding expectations, the match where he beat Jarrett for the NWA title definitely did so, at least for me. Sting was in fantastic shape and the crowd was hot as fuck.

Looks like Ricardo Rodriguez got future endeavored.

It's often highlighted how taking away everything that got Del Rio over really hurt his career, but the split really did Ricardo even less favours. His spell as manager of RVD was absolutely terrible.

I can't remember another time when Sting went topless in TNA. He must really have felt like hot shit that night. 

I just started giving it a re-watch since we were talking about it, and it kind of brought up a good talking point, especially with news of their TV woes: did TNA ever feel more "major league" than they did here (BFG 2006)? Other than the San Antonio Lockdown with 7,500 people or whatever. But even as far as that show goes, Bubba Ray vs. Jeff Hardy doesn't feel as big of a main event-- remember, Angle was fresh off WWE TV, Sting put up his career (which was a believable stip given the dude's age) and people were dying for Jarrett to drop the belt.

I think my favorite Sting in TNA moment was from some random Impact, when he makes someone, Gail Kim, maybe? Or Madison Rayne... I dunno, anyway, he tells her she has to defend the TNA Knockout Title, she tries to bargain her way out of it or whatever, and he responds, in the most depressed, non-caring voice 'It's Showtime'.

Wait... Darth Vader is in episode 7?

So what exactly did Luke burn at the end of ROTJ?

Apparently there are going to me a shit load of flashbacks. I'm guessing to fix the mess the prequels made.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .... ooooooooooooooooo!

I think a better comparison would be Satchel Paige. The Negro Leagues and MLB had similar caliber players at the time.

Satchel didn't come to the Majors until well after his prime but you wonder how he could've done if he had gotten there 10 years earlier.

Similar example would be Connie Hawkins, who got blackballed by the NBA for gambling allegations until he was well into his 30s.

I think that, of all the reasons that I'm glad TNA might be done, one of the biggest is that I still hold a grudge against them for giving Sting a way to hold onto his "never worked for Vince" status that he took so much pride in.

This I have never understood. Where's the pride in not working for the top company in your industry? Its like playing MLB and being proud to never play in the World Series

I kinda get it. Sting had distrust for Vince McMahon re-writing history (and his career) in a negative light, and really, you can't blame him.

I liken it to if I were a professional basketball player never wanting to play for the NBA because of my loathing for David Stern and hey, I have an idea, let's shoot David Stern from a cannon and into the sun.

I think that, of all the reasons that I'm glad TNA might be done, one of the biggest is that I still hold a grudge against them for giving Sting a way to hold onto his "never worked for Vince" status that he took so much pride in.

This I have never understood. Where's the pride in not working for the top company in your industry? Its like playing MLB and being proud to never play in the World Series

I kinda get it. Sting had distrust for Vince McMahon re-writing history (and his career) in a negative light, and really, you can't blame him.

I liken it to if I were a professional basketball player never wanting to play for the NBA because of my loathing for David Stern and hey, I have an idea, let's shoot David Stern from a cannon and into the sun.

But Sting ended up being wrong, didn't he? Even when the guy didn't work for them, he was always portrayed positively. 

But Sting ended up being wrong, didn't he? Even when the guy didn't work for them, he was always portrayed positively. 

He did, but I don't blame him for looking at how Bret Hart and Warrior were portrayed after falling out with Vince or looking at how badly WCW was booked during the Invasion just so that Vince could show that WCW was inferior to his creation and still being a bit reticent about dealing with Vince McMahon. 

• Like 1

Looks like Ricardo Rodriguez got future endeavored.

It's often highlighted how taking away everything that got Del Rio over really hurt his career, but the split really did Ricardo even less favours. His spell as manager of RVD was absolutely terrible.

I definitely don't have the hate for RVD that the majority here do, but that angle......oh man.  One of the most forced, awkward, nonsensical, and confusing pairings in recent memory.  Even the two of them always looked like they were thinking "Um......really?"

• Like 1

A lot of that is they wanted him in the fold. Big difference from him being stuck on the main roster and at their mercy.

I seem to recall him being only barely mentioned on the Rise and Fall of WCW dvd.  Like, the absolute bare amount they could get away with talking about Sting.

(That documentary is pretty awful though.  But hot damn are the two discs of matches fucking great.)

On the other hand, he definitely got a nice profile on the Biggest Wrestling Stars of the 90's or whatever it was called.

Patience, young Jedi.  The WWE Network numbers are due out tomorrow.

So that and TNA's whole dumpster fire are two of the three things Meltzer said would make this the biggest wrestling news week of the year; did we ever figure out the last one?

Patience, young Jedi.  The WWE Network numbers are due out tomorrow.

So that and TNA's whole dumpster fire are two of the three things Meltzer said would make this the biggest wrestling news week of the year; did we ever figure out the last one?

Nick Diaz vs Anderson Silva.

• Like 1

Anyone else get fired yet? Been a big 'rasslin' news week!

Rumors going around they are making big cuts (corporare and talent) again. Tyson Kidd and Titus should avoid calls for the next week or so.

Pretty sure I've seen more than one WWE doc where Hunter put over Flair by saying that Sting was never a draw but Flair made him look like one.

The "big league" line is just such horseshit, for reasons others have explained. It's not like a CFL player who never wanted to play for the NFL. It's more like Fedor never bothering with the UFC.

• Like 3

As long as Cameron is one, Total Divas or not, I'll be happy.

Yes, I said I would be happy if someone got fired. Shoot me. She's fucking terrible & never should have been hired in the first place.

It's okay. I keep helping this miserable as fucking fuck patient if mine dies like that woman who lost control of her wheelchair in one of those Children of the Corn movies.

As long as Cameron is one, Total Divas or not, I'll be happy.

Yes, I said I would be happy if someone got fired. Shoot me. She's fucking terrible & never should have been hired in the first place.

It's okay. I keep helping this miserable as fucking fuck patient if mine dies like that woman who lost control of her wheelchair in one of those Children of the Corn movies.
Maybe healthcare isn't your bag.
  • Like 5