DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I actually never want to see him wrestle, because I'm afraid it won't live up to that kind of entrance. 

However, he's on my shortlist with these Senegalese Wrestlers, which I think is a great honor.

• Like 3

If you're talking about the twitter exchange with Cornette, then yes. Russo comes across as a rational person who's willing to mend bridges and Cornette comes off as either a maniac who needs therapy or a guy who knows that part of his current gimmick is to never stop wishing death on the guy and isn't gonna kill one of his golden geese gimmicks to work the "smarts".

Jim Cornette was being flippant to an insincere, condescending douchebag.

When two old, out-of-touch wrestling bookers are having a slapfight over Twitter, there are no winners in the comparison really. 

did the WWF ever pair Lawler and Monsoon on commentary for even a show or two?

Don't think so.  By the time Lawler was doing more than just Superstars commentary, Monsoon was pretty much off commentary and producing the show.

That Grado entrance is pretty cool, but he's no Genki Sudo or Atsushi Onita. Now those dudes knew how to make an entrance...

If you're talking about the twitter exchange with Cornette, then yes. Russo comes across as a rational person who's willing to mend bridges and Cornette comes off as either a maniac who needs therapy or a guy who knows that part of his current gimmick is to never stop wishing death on the guy and isn't gonna kill one of his golden geese gimmicks to work the "smarts".

Jim Cornette was being flippant to an insincere, condescending douchebag.

When two old, out-of-touch wrestling bookers are having a slapfight over Twitter, there are no winners in the comparison really.

Wendy's totally won that.

did the WWF ever pair Lawler and Monsoon on commentary for even a show or two?

Don't think so.  By the time Lawler was doing more than just Superstars commentary, Monsoon was pretty much off commentary and producing the show.

and Monsoon was moved from PBP to Color Commentary by late-93/94-ish too? (Monsoon and Jim Ross worked together a bit too)

That Grado entrance is pretty cool, but he's no Genki Sudo or Atsushi Onita. Now those dudes knew how to make an entrance...

That is correct...

http://youtu.be/zn7cFGXHvqo

That's pretty badass, but I can't help but feel that Charlie Sheen did it a little better.

The sitting and smoking was awesome.  That said, on the flip side of this, the worst entrance ever may have been when Big Show would come to the ring in WCW smoking and the cigarette looked super tiny in his massive fingers.  Is that footage online anywhere? 

That is correct...

http://youtu.be/zn7cFGXHvqo

That's pretty badass, but I can't help but feel that Charlie Sheen did it a little better.

The sitting and smoking was awesome. That said, on the flip side of this, the worst entrance ever may have been when Big Show would come to the ring in WCW smoking and the cigarette looked super tiny in his massive fingers. Is that footage online anywhere?

I have no idea what the long term point was, but I loved cigarette and coffee cup Giant. So relaxed, a complete lack of fucks followed by leaving to go to WWF.

• Like 1

Charlie fucking Sheen? You must be joking. Onita was the goods. I used to blast that shit so the whole neighborhood knew whenever I'd got a new tape from George Mayfield...

• Like 1

I would think so, I think he was only a few years younger than Onita (who is my age, 57) so Chono is probably pushing fifty or in his early fifties.

Yeah, I sort of stopped following Japan when the great man died, but Tanahashi brought me back...

I would think so, I think he was only a few years younger than Onita (who is my age, 57) so Chono is probably pushing fifty or in his early fifties.

Yeah, I sort of stopped following Japan when the great man died, but Tanahashi brought me back...

Oddly, Onita still wrestles somewhat regularly but Chono hasn't wrestled yet this year.  He hasn't 'officially' retired yet, I'd think he'd have a big show when he does but Kawada didn't so who knows.  Chono is only 50 but very very broken.