DVDVR Message Board

So, my question is, would this be OK for my 6 year old that loved Avengers?

I think probably.  A little bit of that old "mild language" and there is some implied sexuality here and there, although probably not blatant enough for a 6 year old to really pick up on it.

There is violence and death and all that, but no more so than Avengers.

It's about at the level of Explorers or The Goonies for cursing, but excepting a couple of creepy bits where people explode (not bloody, but it takes a little while) I don't think there's anything nightmare inducing

Redbone or Real McCoy?

Craig: Bereet is an alien filmmaker that followed the Hulk around for a couple of years in the '70s and 80s. In GotG she works for The Collector and, well...

That's actually a different character.  Different actress as well.  Melia Kreiling played Bereet.  Collector's servant was Carina, played by Ophelia Lovibond.

Figured I'd chime in with some more love for the movie. As a comic reader there were some obvious "BUT THAT'S NOT HOW IT IS IN THE COMIC" thoughts but at the same time I almost felt like this might have been one of the most loyal to the source material Marvel movies yet. The changes that were made all seem to be trying as hard as possible to stay true to the intent of the original concept. I look forward to seeing a second time since I'm the type of person that misses almost all the cameos and Easter Eggs on the first viewing.

Personally I expect this to make a ton of money if simply for the fact that my mom, who has never watched a Marvel movie before, actually loved it when she went to see it with my nephew. The fact that my mom will probably go see the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie when it comes out is just mind blowing.

I went to a 12:30 PM matinee and there were a lot of families in there and I was surprised at how well behaved they were.

There's definitely a lot of language. Tons of Ass. One kind of unfortunate Bitch because it's a great moment and I don't want my kid repeating it back to his mother, and one implied F-bomb. Implied sexauality. Another key moment based around the word "whore." That middle finger uncensored.  Lots of guys getting skewered but they're pretty alien looking. You know your parenting style better than I do, but if my wife was there with me and the 12 year old, I'd probably have gotten some flack, and probably would have deserved it a bit too since we don't have time to prescreen these things anymore.

Movie was great, unsurprisingly. I bet I missed a half dozen easter eggs.

It really felt like a post-modern Star Wars to me, a Star Wars for a generation that's listless, inundated with pop culture and constant, effortless gratification, and basically a bunch of entitled jerks. 

The heart of the movie is basically around the premise of "hey, maybe this time, for once, we can actually give a damn!" which I think sort of says it all. That the movie still works so well is pretty brilliant.

• Like 1

Did the failed servant who was also that kind of alien have a name in the movie?

Yes, as I said, her name is Carina.  If you mean the third one that got put in the tank, don't think she got a name.

Yeah, I meant the third one.

Note to self:  Do not displease The Collector. Seriously, though, Del Toro's role was a lot smaller than I expected.

$94 fucking million dollars on the weekend. Wow. I feel like digging up posts where I said this would be the biggest movie of the summer, or posts from others that said this would bomb.

• Like 2

$94 fucking million dollars on the weekend. Wow. I feel like digging up posts where I said this would be the biggest movie of the summer, or posts from others that said this would bomb.

I'm in full support of gloating posts and rubbing this shit in FSW's face.

I'll start gloating over it in the Summer Pool thread since I put it at the top of my BO list.

Even more when it hits my tiebreaker prediction and I get to laugh at SKoS and ZIedler.

There were actually people here who thought this would bomb? Come on. It's a Marvel film in 2014. They've been making epic bank out of b-list nobodies for the last few years and we're yet to reach the point of diminishing returns. There was no way this was failing. Especially by August standards. 

I wish Karen Gillan and Lee Pace would have gotten to make more of an impression. Otherwise, this was a whole lot of fun. 

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice Alexis Denisof. Again.