DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah, there's no way Austin has the patience to watch Boardwalk. I could probably get him to get through Take Shelter though. He loved Bug and The Machinist so I think that would work out.

I love the part in Red Heat where he pulls the guy's fake leg off, dumps out the coke and says "cocaine" in Russian which is translated on the screen.

That was a monster bodyslam the stuntman took on the cement immediately preceding that, as well!

This showed up in an email from Netflix and, before I could even start watching it, my wife had already watched it twice and was yelling at me to watch it with her.  So here goes:

The Battered Bastards of Baseball - Netflix-original documentary on the mid-70s minor league baseball team, the Portland Mavericks.  The Mavs were founded and owned by Bing Russell, of Bonanza fame and father of Kurt Russell.  Bing was a lifelong baseball fan who spent much of his childhood hanging out with the likes of Lefty Gomez, Joe Dimaggio and Lou Gehrig of the Yankees.  After the 1972 season, the AAA Portland Beavers left Oregon for greener pastures elsewhere.  A void was created and Bing created the Mavericks to fill it.  The Mavericks would play in the short-season A Northwest League (home to my beloved Spokane Indians).  Unlike every other team on the planet, they would be independent with no affiliation to any major league team.  As a result, they grabbed players from wherever they could, including open tryouts.  Their guys were older and (mostly) had no illusions about making a career out of it.  So they were there to have fun.  And they did.  And their fans loved them for it.  They were very successful, winning 4 division titles in 5 seasons while facing blowback from the major leagues.  They do this against a backdrop of intrigue (major league teams sending higher-level players down for the playoffs against Portland to keep them from winning a championship) and controversy, all while having a blast.  The whole movie is a good time and features interviews with several of the key figures (Bing Russell died in 2003, unfortunately), including Kurt Russell and Todd Field (director of 5-time Academy Award nominee, In the Bedroom).  Field was the batboy for the Mavs.  Anyway, this is great, and anybody who likes a good story in general, or sports specifically, should watch it.  9/10.

• Like 1

The Raid 2 was much better than the first one, IMO. I liked the fact that there was some semblance of a plot this time, no matter how hackneyed and overdone (The Departed/Infernal Affairs minus the second perspective). There was some stillness between the insane action sequences to give balance for a change. I also liked the juggling of languages throughout. And of course, when they decided to go full-on, they pulled the damn lever off. There's no point in any of these guys not all carrying guns but if you can just let that slide then you will be treated to some incredible choreography and some inspired splatter. I'm down for a third one just to see how it could possibly wrap up.

We're just watching the Lego movie now and it's basically just Fry and Leela, right? Down to the empty mind as a super power and purple hair. 

Neo and Trinity.

This showed up in an email from Netflix and, before I could even start watching it, my wife had already watched it twice and was yelling at me to watch it with her. So here goes:

The Battered Bastards of Baseball - Netflix-original documentary on the mid-70s minor league baseball team, the Portland Mavericks. The Mavs were founded and owned by Bing Russell, of Bonanza fame and father of Kurt Russell. Bing was a lifelong baseball fan who spent much of his childhood hanging out with the likes of Lefty Gomez, Joe Dimaggio and Lou Gehrig of the Yankees. After the 1972 season, the AAA Portland Beavers left Oregon for greener pastures elsewhere. A void was created and Bing created the Mavericks to fill it. The Mavericks would play in the short-season A Northwest League (home to my beloved Spokane Indians). Unlike every other team on the planet, they would be independent with no affiliation to any major league team. As a result, they grabbed players from wherever they could, including open tryouts. Their guys were older and (mostly) had no illusions about making a career out of it. So they were there to have fun. And they did. And their fans loved them for it. They were very successful, winning 4 division titles in 5 seasons while facing blowback from the major leagues. They do this against a backdrop of intrigue (major league teams sending higher-level players down for the playoffs against Portland to keep them from winning a championship) and controversy, all while having a blast. The whole movie is a good time and features interviews with several of the key figures (Bing Russell died in 2003, unfortunately), including Kurt Russell and Todd Field (director of 5-time Academy Award nominee, In the Bedroom). Field was the batboy for the Mavs. Anyway, this is great, and anybody who likes a good story in general, or sports specifically, should watch it. 9/10.

NPR had a great story on this last week, and it sounded great, I can't wait to see it.

I'm watching Bad Grandpa and loving it, but, and my question is, how the fuck is Spike Jonze (playing the dead wife) taking those falls and not moving and or speaking?!

Actually that was Catherine Keener playing the dead wife.

I just watched it. I regret not catching it in the theatre now, because there were some moments here that would've resulted in Borat-levels of hysterical laughter in a large group of people, in particular the strip club scene. Still, it was good fun, and my wife was in tears a few times.

The same day I saw DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES in the theater, I came home and watched SNOWPIERCER on demand. So I ended up seeing the two best movies of the summer back to back. What a great day of cinema!

Then I immediately ruined it by watching SHITTY OLDBOY. And, boy, was it shitty. I know Spike Lee has pleaded major studio interference on this, but I really don't see where there's a better movie buried in there. Literally every choice this movie makes is wrong.

• Like 1

Delicious: I posted the trailer for this in the upcoming thread a few months ago. I knew some of the people who worked on it. It's...decent, I guess. The plot basically revolves around this good-looking French guy taking Molly from Sherlock hostage and forcing her to eat something because she's got an eating disorder.

He gets away with it mainly because he's good-looking and French. And the food he cooks is nice. It's kind of wacky. He does cure her though, so possibly the message is kidnapping is OK, I don't know.

Was kinda surprised at how decent The Rock was (The movie, not the wrestler).  Reasonably convincing plot, lots of drama and tons of explosions and gunfights.  I also liked that the villain wasn't just evil terrorist but rather a conflicted baddie who thought what he was doing was right but still wavered on going through with it.  I thought Nicolas Cage worked much better as weird-ass scientist in over his head trying to save the day than he does as superhero action man.  Sean Connery was fun, but I had a hard time believing a 66-year-old man could stand toe-to-toe with marines.  On a the Michael Bay scale, with 10 Explosions being 'Pain and Gain' and 0 Explosions being 'Transformers 2', I'd give this a solid 7.5/8 Explosions out of 10.

Was kinda surprised at how decent The Rock was (The movie, not the wrestler).  Reasonably convincing plot, lots of drama and tons of explosions and gunfights.  I also liked that the villain wasn't just evil terrorist but rather a conflicted baddie who thought what he was doing was right but still wavered on going through with it.  I thought Nicolas Cage worked much better as weird-ass scientist in over his head trying to save the day than he does as superhero action man.  Sean Connery was fun, but I had a hard time believing a 66-year-old man could stand toe-to-toe with marines.  On a the Michael Bay scale, with 10 Explosions being 'Pain and Gain' and 0 Explosions being 'Transformers 2', I'd give this a solid 7.5/8 Explosions out of 10.

Aaron Sorkin re-wrote the script from what I understand, hence why it ended up being pretty decent.

I don't actually think Bay is an Ed Wood-levels of inept director. Like many have claimed. You can give him a good script and he can work with it. Problem is, he usually gets stuck with abysmal scripts and he can't get past it.

That dog's death is directly Hogan's fault.  Clearly that guy was all set to go impress his girl by bringing her a dog.  Girls like dogs.  That's actually a pretty sound plan on the face of it.  Although the fact that it seems to be a full-grown dog he stole from someone's yard rather than, like, a puppy is maybe points against it.

But then he saw the pure badassness of Hogan in a denim jacket on a motorcycle and was instantly like "Well, this fucking dog idea is useless against that. What the fuck was I thinking?  I need to get to a motorcycle shop and then to The Limited as fast as I can, but first I need to get rid of this dog."

Thus:

tumblr_n91aqoaRII1qzcv7no5_400.gif

Guy has lots of ideas.  That's good.  Impulse control and planning, less so.

• Like 1