DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I remember Tarantino telling a story about how some of the actors were legitimately in danger when they were filming the fire-in-the-cinema scene in Inglorious Bastards. Like, a difference of a few seconds, and a couple of guys would have been burned to a crisp. Granted he was likely exaggerating a bit to tell a cooler story, but still, it's like, to me: OK, if things had went a bit differently people would be dead and you'd be up on criminal charges. How is this a "funny" story?

As a director it's your responsibility to make sure the production people and actors are never in any danger whatsoever. Anything truly dangerous should be left up to the stunt people. 

RE: Kubrick. He really shouldn't have been indulged as much as he was. I recall a story about an actor filming a ten-second scene for Eyes Wide Shut where literally all he had to do was get up and turn off a tap. It took like 3 days to film because of Kubrick's perfectionism. Like, no.  It's just a movie. It's not that important.

So over the weekend I watched Escape Plan, Awkward Moment, Neighbors, Zero Charisma and Wolf on Wallstreet. 

Escape plan was dull and I'm still not sure how it really made any sense. Why even convince this guy that this is a "job" if you're going to show up in a black van, taze him and send him off anyway. Seems like it would be LESS traceable if you did that. I'm also not clear on how Arnold's daughter in the movie is the girl to set this whole thing up to break him out. That entire thing doesn't make sense. Why would the partner who is hooked up with the guy running the prison even be involved with her if she's not really involved with it. Also if Arnold really is this guy that they all want in prison and they think he's just a guy with knowledge of the guy. So if they know enough to know he knows the guy how do they not know that he's the guy? Anyway pretty much none of the movie made sense for more than fifteen seconds. Even at the start Sly is capture and before he's even admitted into the prison he's all giving away his release number to get the fuck out? If this guy is the baddest prison break guy ever and the entire thing is predicated on the warden of these places not knowing who he is then why would he attempt to blow his cover right when he got to the prison. The entire movie was just pretty awful and its a bummer since isn't this the first time they have co starred in a movie together? Outside of Expendable cameos? 

Awkward Moment wasn't funny at all but it seemed like a harmless, pretty accurate details on guys that just hang out, play video games and fuck around with a "roster" of women. Outside of that it was mind numbingly boring and predictable with just a few, brief funny moments. 

Neighbors was awesome. 

Zero Charisma wasn't too bad except for the weird ending. He freaks out during the first game night at Miles house and then it seems like we just rush to the end. His mom for some reason just up and sells the house so that her daughter who she never sees can get rid of debt she has so she can marry some guy then Miles turns into a bad guy kinda, and then the movie just sort of ends. Really fun movie ironically enough it had more "awkward moments" than the movie with that in the title did. In fact the movie seemed to be a string of these awkward moments and I never really knew where they were going with it but it was fun and interesting on how awkward watching Scott was until the random last 20 minutes. 

The Wolf on Wallstreet was not what I was expecting and there was no way it needed to be over three hours long. I thought it was a can't miss movie and it missed pretty badly in my mind. Honestly it didn't feel like there was hardly any story to it and it was mostly just "watch Leo and Jonah play these eccentric characters in the backdrop of the wacky coke induced 80's." Which might have been a fun hour and a half movie but it was not a three hour movie and it was not the epic Leo/Scorsese movie that I was expecting.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/casting-call-oh-no  Some of worst, and funniest, genuine casting calls ever.

My personal favorites:

The role is that of a "Sex Ghost."

The play tells of the struggle to get a paid role in the world of acting. Unpaid.

She's a bit past it now but is still incredibly pretty. Aged 21-27.

There is something unnerving about her. Maybe she has read too many books.

Seeing two bits of Summer movies made me realize that something about this last weekend it a bit different now than it used to be.

I realize that for today's kids...what with school staying in session until, like, the end of June, the 4th of July marks the beginning of Summer...like real, true Summer.  That burst of energy that escape velocity surge of total anarchy.  Your body, relieved of the weight of all those stacks of paper and books that suddenly meant nothing, all that junk, essays and projects and notes and report cards you had been archiving for months under threat of expulsion suddenly devoid of power over you. You become a bullet fired into the hot endless day.  Something, I remember feeling like this:

But when i was a kid, unless you fucked up, school ended by May 15th, which meant that by this point you were already six weeks into real, true Summer.  The mania had worn off and you had settled into either a job (sucker) or, if you were lucky, a kind of pleasurable malaise, half reality half mirage, of  bomb pops, baseball on the radio, basic cable, and whatever weird version of kick the can or stickball was sweeping the neighborhood that particular year.  

The 4th, then was a turning point, a Summer blast with a tiny echo of darkness, a small portent of death is heard in the last reports from the last whistling bottle rockets.  It wasn't depressing exactly but some little part of your brain knew that the first half of Summer was over and whatever was going to happen was already happening.  It was the pivot point where you stopped running frenetically away from the end of school and began moving, reluctantly and slowly but  inevitably toward to the beginning of school.  You knew that at some point in the next two or three weeks your mom was going to bring home a bunch of notebooks she got on sale at K-Mart and that bag would sit in the corner taunting you.

Before that moment slips away, I think it's worth taking it in and remembering for those of us that aren't still locked in that cycle of freedom and bondage.  It was a powerful moment of wistful warmth...weird nostalgia for the present moment that you knew was expiring which has never been captured better than by this song.  It should be listened to while staring at this picture of sunset over the CIT's of Camp North Star:

meetballs_1.jpg

Soak it in, sad campers.  Wimbledon is over and the U.S. Open will bring the closing of the neighborhood pools soon.  If you haven't tried to kiss that one girl yet, you've got maybe one more week to get up the nerve in time for it to lead to anything.

Otherwise it's just another lost Summer.

• Like 1

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/midnight-rider-filmmakers-charged-with-involuntary-manslaughter-in-sarah-jones-death-1201257716/

The director of Midnight Rider and two producers have finally been charged in the connection with that camerawoman who died on set. If you read up on it it's a pretty hideous story: Basically, they never got permission to film on the line from the rail company, didn't tell the crew and the only warning everyone got was that if a train came they'd have at least 60 seconds to get out of the way. Turns out it was actually way less.

The filmmakers are obviously recklessly inept people, but I wonder if part of this is how the movie business can "glorify" filmmakers who take risks and bend the rules in the name of "art". I mean, everyone heaps praise on Stanley Kubrick, but he was incredibly callous towards his actors and drove them to the point of exhaustion with his obsessivness. (Although in fairness, he never actively endangered any of them that I know of, so maybe it's not a great comparison).

John Landis and his crew have seats in some version of Hell for the Twilight Zone debacle that killed Vic Morrow and two children.

Undoubtedly. Though the movie took place in Georgia, not California, which has tougher laws on that sort of thing, so the Midnight Rider filmmakers probably won't weasel out of it like Landis did.

William Hurt might very well up as a witness for the prosecution. He was apparently asking around that day about whether they had permission and was mislead/lied to and told it was all fine. Hence why he quit the film soon after and refused to return.

The director is basically pleading ignorance and claiming permits weren't his area.

I quite enjoyed Homefront which is just 104 minutes of Jason Statham being a bad-ass dad.  There were a couple inaccuracies/unlikelies

If an undercover cop got a biker gang's son killed and resigned, he likely wouldn't keep the same name he had as a cop nor would he keep classified documents detailing his case and identity in his unlocked basement

but these are minor quibbles when faced with the awesome cast: James Franco as local dirt-bag meth dealer Gator, Winona Ryder as his tweaked-out girlfriend, Kate Bosworth as his tweaked-out sister, Omar Benson Miller as Statham's buddy, and Frank 'Oh yeah that guy is awesome Grillo as the new leader of the bikers.  Good, fun fight sequences.  Perfectly serviceable action flick.  James Franco could/should have a future playing dirtbag villains after Alien and Gator.

Nice to hear Winona Ryder's name mentioned again. Sans the odd role here and there, she's practically disappeared. I'm surprised she hasn't moved into television yet.  Get her in a season of American Horror Story or something.

Nice to hear Winona Ryder's name mentioned again. Sans the odd role here and there, she's practically disappeared. I'm surprised she hasn't moved into television yet.  Get her in a season of American Horror Story or something.

What was her last major role? Mr. Deeds? I can't recall anything since. 

I'd say it was shoplifting thing, but then, you look at some of the problems actors have had and have still gone on to have successful careers, so I don't think it was ever that big an issue.

It might just be a combination of turning 40 in Hollywood and/or not getting offered stuff she likes. Like I said, this would usually be the point she finds a TV project or something. Maybe she's just doing other things, I don't know.

NIGHTBREED RESTORED?!?!?! Holy cow, I've got to see that. 

Watched American Hustle. Pretty boring for most of it. I felt like I was being told a movie instead of being shown a movie. Felt like a poor Scorsese movie with none of the visual interest of Wolf of Wall St. or even Goodfellas. The acting was best when no one was talking. Christian Bale, for example, had the most amazing looks of realization hidden underneath his giant showy clown suit. Him just thinking was more interesting and exciting than the entire movie, especially when you know who say down in front of him and realized he was fucked from head to toe and there was NO way to get out of the situation without fucking it up. There's a cool, fun story in there, it just wasn't made very well. Also this may be my favorite thing Jeremy Renner has ever done.

• Like 1

Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction was a neat little pseudo-bio about the man. Basically it's him drinking at bars, being driven around, playing guitar, talking with friends, a bit of interview work in his home intercut with film footage. And him singing... a lot. David Lynch stops by for a chat, so does Kris Kristofferson. Harry Dean is sly, elusive, says one thing when meaning another constantly. It's a tragedy that he never cut a record. Really dig the fact that someone got together with him to make this little love-letter while he's still alive (my grandfather fought in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal and passed two or so years ago; Harry fought in Okinawa and is still kicking). 

Nightbreed Director's cut blu ray is coming out.  Bet yer ass I pre-ordered the limited edition.  I never do that.

Hopefully this Director's cut will be the 159 minuted Cabal edit and not the shorter 144 minute footage from WB.

Clive Barker said they reconstructed the movie exactly the way he originally wanted it to be.

Cabal and Weaveworld were supposed to be his magnum opii. Cabal deserves better treatment than it got. 

Barker just needs to sell a long format proposal to one of the premium cable networks (Showtime loves this type of programming) or to someplace like IFC or FearNET, so he can keep creative control.  Barker still maintains that Weaveworld is going to be a mini-series some day.

Completely enjoyed The Grandmaster .  It's easily the prettiest martial arts film since 'House of Flying Daggers'/'Hero', maybe the prettiest martial arts movie ever.  Interestingly, it tells the same story of Ip Man, the master of Wing Chung who would go on to train Bruce Lee, yet tells almost NONE of the same story as detailed in the supposedly biographical 'Ip Man' 1 or 2.  But, I mean, I don't really care that much, one way or the other, as long as it can give me visuals like this.

the_grandmaster_03.jpg

or this

The-Grandmaster-1-DI.jpg

or this

The.Grandmaster.2013_snapshot_01.55.33_%

The movie's just straight-up beautiful, even if Wong Kar Wai is much more interested in stolen moments, smoke curling up into the sky, and personal relationships and loss more than he is in the martial arts.

Released 33yrs ago today:

JOHN CARPENTER’S ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (1981) DP: Dean Cundey Dir: @TheHorrorMaster

It's on Sundance tonight at 7 ET, in case anyone wants to watch it.

I heard a couple years back they were supposed to make a Barker series but haven't heard anything come of it since. Dunno why they just don't make a Books of Blood series, that would be awesome. A serious version of Tales from the Crypt, like.