DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I think WORLD WAR Z might be the quintessential "just a bunch of shit happening" movie. There are THREE credited writers on the screenplay, and apparently none of them bothered to actually write a story. It doesn't even have a beginning of a story. Brad Pitt is running from shit within 5 minutes of the opening credits.

I watched this last night fully expecting to hate it and...it wasn't terrible.  Your assessment is pretty accurate and I think I'd of liked it more if they would have just called it something else as it had nothing whatsoever to do with the source material.

I think what bugged me the most were the sneaking around scenes where the Zombies needed to hear you to react...so when they would be, like, crawling past a door and the Zombies were just wandering in little random patterns, and they had to "time it right" for when the zombie wasn't looking...

...that is literally how video games are programmed.  How many "sneak around" levels work like that?  Complete with "wait until the NPC is looking the other way and then sneak past the doorway...wait...no time it...wait for his head to move....riiiiiight nOW!"

I get that video game imagery and structure is infecting everything. But that was like gameplay footage.  Why would I want to watch that when I could pop in, like ANY GAME and play it?

Man, The Trip is so good.  Like astoundingly good.  I've watched it a few times, but felt like giving it another go tonight and it was the first time I watched in on DVD.  I think the movie is buoyed by the fact that, while it is just two genuinely funny guys traveling around trying to out-funny each other, they hired a genuine movie director to film the whole thing so everything looks just GORGEOUS.  I cannot tell you how excited I am for 'The Trip to Italy'.

I am all about the Steve Coogan lately: 'I'm Alan Partridge', his book (Brilliant titled 'I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan'), his films (Man, I will go to the wall for 'Hamlet 2' even though people think it's awful, I think it's just genuinely silly and fun, it was mis-trailered as "From one of the writers of South Park: The most outrageously offensive movie of the year" when the movie just wanted to be silly), just everything.  A genuinely underappreciated talent.

Hey, Sea of Love is great. Cliched and having a horrible ending, but great.

I sat through WWZ and didn't throw up or anything but that isn't something I really ever want to watch again, and that's exactly because of the reasons piranesi gave. I want to watch a film, not a fucking video game.

Caruso is tiny in it.  Like McConaughey tiny.  He's swimming in his suit like the David Byrne.

Linda Fiorentino is astounding, though...like leg-wise.

14 year old me felt a certain type of way about Linda Fiorentino.

Man, The Trip is so good.  Like astoundingly good.  I've watched it a few times, but felt like giving it another go tonight and it was the first time I watched in on DVD.  I think the movie is buoyed by the fact that, while it is just two genuinely funny guys traveling around trying to out-funny each other, they hired a genuine movie director to film the whole thing so everything looks just GORGEOUS.  I cannot tell you how excited I am for 'The Trip to Italy'.

I am all about the Steve Coogan lately: 'I'm Alan Partridge', his book (Brilliant titled 'I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan'), his films (Man, I will go to the wall for 'Hamlet 2' even though people think it's awful, I think it's just genuinely silly and fun, it was mis-trailered as "From one of the writers of South Park: The most outrageously offensive movie of the year" when the movie just wanted to be silly), just everything.  A genuinely underappreciated talent.

You should try to find the TV miniseries version of The Trip, everything you loved about the movie, and more!  and if you're looking for more Coogan, try SAXONDALE.  Keanu Reeves is the character find of whatever year that came out.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Caruso is tiny in it.  Like McConaughey tiny.  He's swimming in his suit like the David Byrne.

Linda Fiorentino is astounding, though...like leg-wise.

Had nothing on Ellen Barkin in Sea of Love, like leg-wise.

Dont forget Heavens Prisoners, the movie rental shopes had to keep rebuying because people were wearing out tapes for teri hatchers nudecscene.

Cool Surface was much better as far as Teri Hatcher dude scenes go, though.

You should try to find the TV miniseries version of The Trip, everything you loved about the movie, and more!  and if you're looking for more Coogan, try SAXONDALE.  Keanu Reeves is the character find of whatever year that came out.

I've got 'Saxondale' on deck.

BTW, this thing is incredible.

BBCSteveCooganCollection.jpg

Ordered it for my Mom for her birthday, set me back like $90 but I think it's going to be worth it.  Who am I kidding?  Even if everything else is terrible, the $90 price tag is worth it for 'I'm Alan Partridge' and 'Knowing Me Knowing You'.

• Like 1

Finally got around to catching INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 in netflix.

It's decent enough despite some "off" acting moments, particularly early on, since most of the cast isn't good enough to really sell the goofy story, with how serious this movie takes itself most of the time.

The movie actually picks up nicely when it goes into the other world, and is somehow more convincing there than when we're in the "real" world, the only real goofy things being the villain's mom's typical "scary movie villain" over-acting and

Josh saying "clever boy" when finding his son's tin can phone line like the guy in Jurassic Park saying a similar line before being eaten.

The movie also got a legit LOL out of me when

The one ghost hunter who had been sedated bursting downstairs yelling "BRING IT ON!" moments after the conflict had already ended.

The cheese factor had me thinking the RiffTrax guys would have a field day with this one, but if you can get past that, it's a decent enough movie.

Saturdays at the Orchard Park 5 here in Kelowna they have a cheap Saturday matinee of an "older" movie for families. I've taken the girls two of the past three weeks, despite working until 4am and getting maybe 4 hours sleep before having to turn around and get them ready. We've seen The Lorax and Tintin and the girls love it. I need a major nap after to get ready for Saturday night at work...but it's worth it.

I was never into the Tintin books/strips as a kid, but the movie was a lot of fun.  Really exciting and humorous.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/06/23/gary-oldman-mel-gibson-playboy-interview/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=206567

Two points:

1) No, Gary. We haven't "all" said those things.

2) I do think it is messed up than Gibson's career is practically over, and guys like Polanski, Cosby and Allen still have blossoming careers and are winning awards and whatnot. Not that I think Gibson should be forgiven, but those three are considerably worse.

Thank God.

We need more socially conscious activists like Gary Oldman to take a stand and bring relief to poor fragile downtrodden wealthy wife-beaters and anti-semites.  They've suffered voiceless and in the shadows long enough.

If only Maya Angelou hadn't been such a coward, Gary wouldn't have to be the one to lead us forward.

Fire Down Below: I always thought that this was the movie with Steven Seagal as an EPA agent trying to save the environment in Alaska by blowing up a small part of it, but it turns out there are two movies and this is the one where Segal is an EPA agent trying to solve the environment in the Appalachians by blowing up a small part of it.  Perfectly serviceable Seagal flick with a couple good fights, a good chase scene and some ridiculous stunts (The tanker going off the cliff, for instance) and it's clear Segal cast with an eye to putting people in the film he hoped to jam with between takes: Levon Helm, Kris Kristoffersen, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt, and Marty Stuart.

13 Assassins: Basically a moderately insane samurai take on '300' (I know, I know, it's a remake of an older movie, but that's what it feels like).  Director Takashi Miike does a great job of making the Shogun's brother the absolutely most hateable man in the world so that you get right behind the 13 samurai who decide to take him down.  It's basically an hour of build-up to a staggering 45 minute fight scene climax.  Lots of gore, good acting, great set-pieces.  Lots of fun.

The Grand Budapest Hotel: This was a lot darker than I was expecting, the previews I saw made it look like the story of this little affected hotel but it's actually mostly set outside the hotel and details what happens when the concierge of the titular hotel is arrested for murder.  What I appreciate about Wes Anderson's last three films is it seems like he's stopped trying to go for anything above telling a fairytale-like stories with his usual stable of actors and have everything be suitably whimsical and funny.  Man, Ralph Fiennes should have been in Anderson movies a long time ago, he's tailor-made for it.  Good flick.

Transformers: Dark of the Moons: I'm kinda shocked that Michael Bay has another Transformers movie coming out this summer because this film played like a guy who had really grown tired of filming giant robots fighting as it focuses so much on the irritating human characters who have nothing to say/do.  If one wanted to, one could maybe treat this film as an essay on the inability of man to alter/affect his own life.  Sam (Shia LaBoeuf, really, really phoning it in this time) is sad because even though he's a "hero" nobody knows this and he can't get any jobs.  He mopes about and whines to his supermodel girlfriend who's not a supermodel in the movie but, come on!, about how he wants to matter, how is robot buddies don't hang around anymore to busy off saving the world, and when crisis does come, that the government won't let him help.  In the end, he does stuff to matter and show her what a hero he is, but, really, every time he has to be helped/saved by an Autobot and it's the robots who ultimately do everything of import.  So, no matter what Sam does, he really can't affect change in his life, because the Robot Gods do it themselves, and he's a supporting character in his own life.  Also, said supermodel coaxing Megatron to turn on his ally by saying he's said ally's "bitch" is one of the most insulting plot points in a series full of them (Yes, maybe even more than Sam going to Robot Heaven in 'Transformers 2'!).  I didn't really enjoy this at all.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/06/23/gary-oldman-mel-gibson-playboy-interview/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=206567

Two points:

1) No, Gary. We haven't "all" said those things.

2) I do think it is messed up than Gibson's career is practically over, and guys like Polanski, Cosby and Allen still have blossoming careers and are winning awards and whatnot. Not that I think Gibson should be forgiven, but those three are considerably worse.

Bill Cosby? What'd he do?

As for Oldman, I wish he hadn't gone too far, because there is a point to be made about political correctness in 2014 essentially being self-congratulatory indignation and witch-hunting for bigots. I've come to realize that the War on Bigotry is basically the Democrat version of the War on Terror: an ostensibly honorable cause that's degenerated through alarmism, sensationalism, and McCarthyism into a bunch of scare tactic agitprop bullshit. And so just as the War on Terror became "if you're not with us you're with the terrorists!" and "Vote Republican or the US will be destroyed by brown people!", the War on Bigotry has become, "if you're not with us you're a racist/sexist/homophobe!" and "Vote Democrat or we'll be back to slavery, outlawed homosexuality, and women losing the vote!"

I just watched that Indiana Jones movie with Shia LaBeouf, and it really wasn't all that bad. I really enjoyed it, actually. Why does everyone seem to hate it?

We shall now all begin shunning tristof

I just watched that Indiana Jones movie with Shia LaBeouf, and it really wasn't all that bad. I really enjoyed it, actually. Why does everyone seem to hate it?

It didn't come out when they were 10 years old

• Like 1