DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Fire Down Below: I always thought that this was the movie with Steven Seagal as an EPA agent trying to save the environment in Alaska by blowing up a small part of it, but it turns out there are two movies and this is the one where Segal is an EPA agent trying to solve the environment in the Appalachians by blowing up a small part of it.  Perfectly serviceable Seagal flick with a couple good fights, a good chase scene and some ridiculous stunts (The tanker going off the cliff, for instance) and it's clear Segal cast with an eye to putting people in the film he hoped to jam with between takes: Levon Helm, Kris Kristoffersen, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt, and Marty Stuart.

13 Assassins: Basically a moderately insane samurai take on '300' (I know, I know, it's a remake of an older movie, but that's what it feels like).  Director Takashi Miike does a great job of making the Shogun's brother the absolutely most hateable man in the world so that you get right behind the 13 samurai who decide to take him down.  It's basically an hour of build-up to a staggering 45 minute fight scene climax.  Lots of gore, good acting, great set-pieces.  Lots of fun.

The Grand Budapest Hotel: This was a lot darker than I was expecting, the previews I saw made it look like the story of this little affected hotel but it's actually mostly set outside the hotel and details what happens when the concierge of the titular hotel is arrested for murder.  What I appreciate about Wes Anderson's last three films is it seems like he's stopped trying to go for anything above telling a fairytale-like stories with his usual stable of actors and have everything be suitably whimsical and funny.  Man, Ralph Fiennes should have been in Anderson movies a long time ago, he's tailor-made for it.  Good flick.

Transformers: Dark of the Moons: I'm kinda shocked that Michael Bay has another Transformers movie coming out this summer because this film played like a guy who had really grown tired of filming giant robots fighting as it focuses so much on the irritating human characters who have nothing to say/do.  If one wanted to, one could maybe treat this film as an essay on the inability of man to alter/affect his own life.  Sam (Shia LaBoeuf, really, really phoning it in this time) is sad because even though he's a "hero" nobody knows this and he can't get any jobs.  He mopes about and whines to his supermodel girlfriend who's not a supermodel in the movie but, come on!, about how he wants to matter, how is robot buddies don't hang around anymore to busy off saving the world, and when crisis does come, that the government won't let him help.  In the end, he does stuff to matter and show her what a hero he is, but, really, every time he has to be helped/saved by an Autobot and it's the robots who ultimately do everything of import.  So, no matter what Sam does, he really can't affect change in his life, because the Robot Gods do it themselves, and he's a supporting character in his own life.  Also, said supermodel coaxing Megatron to turn on his ally by saying he's said ally's "bitch" is one of the most insulting plot points in a series full of them (Yes, maybe even more than Sam going to Robot Heaven in 'Transformers 2'!).  I didn't really enjoy this at all.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/06/23/gary-oldman-mel-gibson-playboy-interview/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=206567

Two points:

1) No, Gary. We haven't "all" said those things.

2) I do think it is messed up than Gibson's career is practically over, and guys like Polanski, Cosby and Allen still have blossoming careers and are winning awards and whatnot. Not that I think Gibson should be forgiven, but those three are considerably worse.

Bill Cosby? What'd he do?

As for Oldman, I wish he hadn't gone too far, because there is a point to be made about political correctness in 2014 essentially being self-congratulatory indignation and witch-hunting for bigots. I've come to realize that the War on Bigotry is basically the Democrat version of the War on Terror: an ostensibly honorable cause that's degenerated through alarmism, sensationalism, and McCarthyism into a bunch of scare tactic agitprop bullshit. And so just as the War on Terror became "if you're not with us you're with the terrorists!" and "Vote Republican or the US will be destroyed by brown people!", the War on Bigotry has become, "if you're not with us you're a racist/sexist/homophobe!" and "Vote Democrat or we'll be back to slavery, outlawed homosexuality, and women losing the vote!"

I just watched that Indiana Jones movie with Shia LaBeouf, and it really wasn't all that bad. I really enjoyed it, actually. Why does everyone seem to hate it?

We shall now all begin shunning tristof

I just watched that Indiana Jones movie with Shia LaBeouf, and it really wasn't all that bad. I really enjoyed it, actually. Why does everyone seem to hate it?

It didn't come out when they were 10 years old

• Like 1

If I recall correctly there was an alien thing going on that was too much for people, many just flat out hated Shia Lebouf even before he did things that showed he was an asshole, and Ford's performance was on the lazy side.

• Like 1

So an alien is too much, but the Ark of the Covenant isn't? That might as well be an alien too! All of it's fiction anyway, ffs. Shia was perfectly acceptable as a 50s greaser, and Ford is Ford, I've always thought his acting was semi-lazy.

BTW, I've never seen any of the other Indiana Jones movies. NOW let the shunning begin!

Honestly, I barely remember the movie except for the incredibly stupid "survived an atomic explosion in a fridge" scene that led to me making the same "Indy 5 will be Indiana Jones and the Incredibly Painful Death from Cancer" joke roughly 8,000 times in the next two weeks.

I also remember hating it.  HATING it.

But what in particular I hated...  Eh, it was years ago and I'm not about to revisit it.

(AND FUCKING WATCH RAIDERS, DUDE!!!!!!!)

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/06/23/gary-oldman-mel-gibson-playboy-interview/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=206567

Two points:

1) No, Gary. We haven't "all" said those things.

2) I do think it is messed up than Gibson's career is practically over, and guys like Polanski, Cosby and Allen still have blossoming careers and are winning awards and whatnot. Not that I think Gibson should be forgiven, but those three are considerably worse.

Bill Cosby? What'd he do?

As for Oldman, I wish he hadn't gone too far, because there is a point to be made about political correctness in 2014 essentially being self-congratulatory indignation and witch-hunting for bigots. I've come to realize that the War on Bigotry is basically the Democrat version of the War on Terror: an ostensibly honorable cause that's degenerated through alarmism, sensationalism, and McCarthyism into a bunch of scare tactic agitprop bullshit. And so just as the War on Terror became "if you're not with us you're with the terrorists!" and "Vote Republican or the US will be destroyed by brown people!", the War on Bigotry has become, "if you're not with us you're a racist/sexist/homophobe!" and "Vote Democrat or we'll be back to slavery, outlawed homosexuality, and women losing the vote!"

Cosby's been accused of rape by 14 different women.

RE: Gibson. I'd say he was (basically) forgiven by the industry for the drunken rant on the cops. He did get a second chance. But then when the tape to his ex girlfriend came out, with him espousing even more racist views and also declaring himself to be a women-beater, and that was it for him.

It was a bit more complex than, "oh, he said one thing and his career for done. "

I actually liked it too.  It was everything I was hoping an Indy movie this late in the game would be.  I mean, you've got the ark of the covenant, a cult of heart-mangling evil Indians, and defeating Nazis with the aid of a magic cup that prevents you from dying...where could it have gone from there?!  'Indiana Jones and the really old newspaper'?  Every movie tried to be bigger than the one before, so they had to go bigger with the last one.  It wasn't perfect: Cate Blanchett's Nikita and Boris accent, a little too much comedy, a bit too long, and the grumpy alien face but the ending was letter-perfect

The hat blowing in with Shia reaching for it to take over the mantle and Harrison Ford snatching it away like "Nah, Fuck you, I'm still Indiana Fuckin' Jones."

I remember that old joke about how a guy who'd tell people they read Playboy for the interviews and articles, not the naked women.

Weirdly though, you probably could say "I'm buying it for that totally controversial Gary Oldman interview where he may or may not have ended his career!" and people would believe it.

I remember that old joke about how a guy who'd tell people they read Playboy for the interviews and articles, not the naked women.

Weirdly though, you probably could say "I'm buying it for that totally controversial Gary Oldman interview where he may or may not have ended his career!" and people would believe it.

That joke sucks now. Well, it probably always sucked considering Playboy has a pretty great publishing track record, but now there is basically no other reason to buy it.  Also, dude, Gary Oldman saying some weird shit isn't going to end his career.  Is that the desired outcome for you or something?

I'd very much prefer to continue watching Gary Oldman on screen regardless of his politics, bigotry or shitty personal beliefs.  Same with Mel.  Same with pretty much everyone else because I can separate the art from the person behind it.  These dudes aren't running for office for fucks sake. 

Playboy does actually publish some great writing.

The first five chapters of 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: Odyssey Two appeared in Playboy.

There is also a brilliant 1982 article entitled Holy Terror which predicts the rise of Fundamentalist Christianity as a socio-political force the significant influence it has on the Right Wing. 

This article was obviously written by Nostradamus.