DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

The "any successful game website is being paid off by a console maker" narrative is laughed off by anyone with maturity.

untitledqndc0.png

I agree with you and I don't know what the full context was behind this story (hence me being unsure yesterday). I just wanted to insinuate that Gies is a BIG IMMATURE BABYMAN.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, my Wii U bundle has now been in 'too late to cancel but we haven't billed you yet' status since last Wednesday night. That's both irritating and worrying to me.

I got mine yesterday, and I couldn't be happier with it.  Say what you want about Nintendo, but they do what they do very well.  There is nothing on any of the other systems that can compete directly with Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, or Super Mario 3D World.  They are very niche, but that niche fucking works. 

I hate to say it, but I think the PS4 is the worst of the new generation of consoles so far. I have all three systems, and since Infamous Second Son, I haven't really felt compelled to play anythng on my PS4.  Microsoft allowing TV to be watched through the Xbox is one of the underrated smart ideas in the history of gaming.  I'm able to play a game, stop grab something to eat and watch TV and then jump right back into my game all with the press of a button.  It has become the hub for all of my TV/Netflix/Youtube/WWE Network/Gaming because I can jump in and out of all of these things without ever having to change outputs on my TV/Receiver.  The PS4 is only used for playing games, and unless they start pumping out more high quality first-party games they are going to fall way behind in my eyes. 

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

First session with the Xbone I played NBA 2K14 and Titanfall (both I borrowed from a friend).  NBA is legit, looks great, but I pretty much forgot most of the controls and some have changed from 2K11 so I run the pick and roll every single time. 

Titanfall is fun, that auto pistol is cool.  I get wrecked whenever I get in a Titan.  I'm blasting away but my Titan blows up within 30 seconds.  Must be fighting dudes with upgraded shit. 

First impression is that it will be a fun game, but the lack of a meaningful single player experience means it will get fairly old quickly.  I know a lot of FPS folks thinkt the faster paced the better and this satisfies that, but I like a little slower paced FPS.  It's definitely for the Call of Duty set. 

If I had a bunch of money to waste, I'd consider getting a Wii-U just for Bayonetta 2. Not really a Kart/Smash guy. I do respect Nintendo though.

I was really late on appreciating Nintendo 64. When I was a little kid, I would play Star Wars Racer, Rogue Squadron, No Mercy, Golden Eye and Ocarina of Time, but I spent most of my time on PS1/PS2 playing other games. It wasn't until 2005, 2006 (my PS2 stopped working) that I truly appreciated N64, and played more games for it. I remember going to a Gamestop one day and buying a bunch of 64 games for $5 a pop. Wish I still had it.

Wii U has more worthwhile real exclusives* and only two of 'em are remakes in contrast to the other guys.  Too bad as of right now there are only two games to look forward to. 

*Mario U and Super Luigi, 3D World, Captain Toad, Tropical Freeze, MK8, Smash, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 and W101.  Bayo 1 and WW HD are remakes.

3DS had a lame 2014 in terms of new releases.  No real traditional "game".  Y'know, levels, power-ups and bosses.  Bunch of pokemon horseshit and Smash bros which I'm only going to play on my television.  3DS also has a nonexistent outlook for 2015.  Xenoblade would be awesome if 3DS had the graphics and OLED of the Vita.  Instead it'll only work on the newer model 3DS so it'll remain underplayed. How are they not pissed off at how much money resellers made on that game as opposed to them. Monster Hunter is such a plodding game.  Especially when Capcom damn near got it right ripping off it's own basic formula with Dragon's Dogma.  DD should've supplanted MH like how Assassins Creed killed Prince of Persia.

I was wildly into my 3DS last year.  I have Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi Dream Team in reserve for this drought.  Wouldn't mind getting a boxed Star Fox game cartridge under 20 bucks.  Seems like it's OOP and I missed my best opportunity.  That Luigi's Mansion game looks good too.

I want DKC: TF and Smash Bros. pretty badly, but not for more than a couple hundred bucks. For me, a WiiU would be a DKC/Smash/Starfox machine. 

Since Sears is shuttering stores, I'm going to trawl for a clearance WiiU there over the next few weeks. 

I want DKC: TF and Smash Bros. pretty badly, but not for more than a couple hundred bucks. For me, a WiiU would be a DKC/Smash/Starfox machine.

Since Sears is shuttering stores, I'm going to trawl for a clearance WiiU there over the next few weeks.

They're calling your name....

All_Pikmin.png

Ending of Game of Thrones part one was a kick in the gut worthy of the books/show

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Honestly I felt that game cost $30 mostly because we're paying for the show actors doing voice over work, but since I'm such a mark for the show and the actors' performances on it, I didn't mind so much.  Particular the foursome featured in part one.

Not sure how I'll feel about it on replay but it was an enjoyable and pretty CYOA

I got a smart phone because my college has sprung "HEY SURPRISE CLASS IS CANCELLED" on me too many times. Also, in large lecture sections, pop quizzes are moving towards just being a phone app.

RIDICULOUS FISHING- So Vlambeer's the best developer. I can now claim three of their games (this, LUFTRAUSERS, NUCLEAR THRONE) as my favorite games. The three phases of Ridiculous Fishing's gameplay all feel great and satisfying in totally different ways. If you've never seen it, here's how the order goes.

-Drop the hook into the ocean and get as deep as you can. Tilt the phone to dodge fish. Later you get items that will help you go down further, which I won't spoil.

-When you hook a fish, you start reeling the line back in. Hook as many fish as you can on your way back up, while avoiding jellyfish.

-When the fish reach the surface, you fling all the fish into the sky and shoot them. Shoot those fish. Shoot all those fish.

There's a huge amount of upgrades for everything and a weird story and your fisherman looks at a piece of driftwood and treats it like a smartphone and it's great. It's just fuckin' great.

THREES- like, since 2048 got so, so huge earlier this year, all I want to say is "2048 ripped off Threes so hard that they copped to it, so whichever one you played first is it, I guess." Threes has hell of charm, though. I turned off the music just so I could hear the little dudes talk.

Someone should really port Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space onto phones if they haven't. As a PC game it falls a bit short, and *is* a bit short, but as a phone game I think it would actually thrive. It's exactly the right length for people to piss around between pretending to do work.

Someone should really port Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space onto phones if they haven't. As a PC game it falls a bit short, and *is* a bit short, but as a phone game I think it would actually thrive. It's exactly the right length for people to piss around between pretending to do work.

Goddamit, DfA, now I'm really pissed that this hasn't happened yet.

I also wan't a phone version of Gazillionaire.