DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

I love the repeated references to a "match making committee" that decides who challenges for championships. It's a small touch that I wish WWE would incorporate.

When I left college and moved back to Atlanta, I thought, maybe I'll go work for WCW, and sent a letter to JJ Dillon cause he seemed like a guy who might actually go to the office.  He wrote back that things weren't looking great there but to stay in touch and included his WCW business card that had his official title as something like 'Championship Committee Member'.

• Like 4

I have a question/request for the thread: Last night before bed, I popped in WCW/nWo Revenge and ended up playing a Finlay/Meng match that was pretty fun. Then, I wondered if they wrestled each other on TV one-on-one during the Nitro era. I couldn't find a match like this with some searching, but does anyone know if these two had a match on one of the C-Shows at any point?

A quick search shows me that there was a Finlay/Meng match on the 1/10/98 episode of Saturday Night. I'm still trying to find video though. All that's coming up for me is a Faces of Fear/Blue Bloods match on Nitro and a bunch of WCW hardcore title stuff from 2000 that they were both involved in.

i'm downloading the entire episode of Saturday Night. if the match hasn't turned up tomorrow i'll upload the match to youtube probably on sunday.

• Like 3

Anyone remember WCW Prime from the mid-90s? It seems to be the forgotten syndicated show.

WGN featured a show titled WCW Pro Chicago. It featured a weekly studio segment with former Cubs/White Sox announcer Jack Brickhouse called Brickhouse Bonus.

whoa, i've never heard of this. i didn't get into WCW until years later so it shouldn't be a surprise, but still cool.

it's pretty awesome when they do local versions of programs. i'm watching the 1997 WWF Shotgun Saturday Nights, and whoever uploaded them had VHS copies of the New York feed so it's actually called "WWF New York" or sometimes "Shotgun New York". kinda cool to hear all the call outs to local places like Long Island, or putting over anybody that came from the area and that sort of thing. 

Those early Shotgun episodes were pretty cool, in terms of visual originality. I don't remember much from them other than a few things. Them being HHH getting Tombstoned on a Penn Station escalator, the small (for WWF) ring and Funk/Austin brawling in a bar the night before Rumble '97.

Anyone remember WCW Prime from the mid-90s? It seems to be the forgotten syndicated show.

WGN featured a show titled WCW Pro Chicago. It featured a weekly studio segment with former Cubs/White Sox announcer Jack Brickhouse called Brickhouse Bonus.

whoa, i've never heard of this. i didn't get into WCW until years later so it shouldn't be a surprise, but still cool.

it's pretty awesome when they do local versions of programs. i'm watching the 1997 WWF Shotgun Saturday Nights, and whoever uploaded them had VHS copies of the New York feed so it's actually called "WWF New York" or sometimes "Shotgun New York". kinda cool to hear all the call outs to local places like Long Island, or putting over anybody that came from the area and that sort of thing. 

Dude, I'm from the NY area and let me tell you: there are some episodes from 97 or 98 of WWF New York with Vince Russo on commentary and... yeah, actually, I don't think they're that offensive. They're completely un-notable in every way. let me know how it goes.

Those early Shotgun episodes were pretty cool, in terms of visual originality. I don't remember much from them other than a few things. Them being HHH getting Tombstoned on a Penn Station escalator, the small (for WWF) ring and Funk/Austin brawling in a bar the night before Rumble '97.

The original Shotgun ring is only 16 x 16 and I actually had the privilege of moving it from one corner of the WWE warehouse to the other during a summer job many years ago. The frame, especially compared to the other rings, makes it look smaller than you can probably even tell on TV,. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...