DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

anybody know why the Armstrongs decide to wrestle as the "James Brothers" for this appearance on Worldwide? it seems to be the only time that it happened.

Gonna guess it was an attempt to cash in on them being Road Dogg's brothers.

New Age Outlaws form in October '97. 

in the summer of '97 Jesse Jammes was still a glorified jobber on Shotgun.

my only guess is that they were giving it a shot under their real last name (and a heel turn) that for some reason was dropped basically before it even began.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember WCW Prime from the mid-90s?  It seems to be the forgotten syndicated show.  In my market, it aired on the regional sports channel at 3 in the afternoon on a weekday so catching the end of some WCW after school was bizarre.  I found some full episodes up on Youtube.  The highlight going through them seems to be Sting vs. Eaton in a 10 minute match.  The New Japan guys are on some of the tapings so you get Kensuke Sasaki vs. Mr. JL (Jerry Lynn) for those who like odd pairings.  Happy hunting.

we didn't have Prime here, but going thru some of the results, i believe they had the exact same matches as Worldwide, just with different commentary. Worldwide aired late Saturday nights, like 11pm or 1am or something. i loved staying up to catch the matchups and would mark out if Macho Man was on.

"Submit or Surrrender" was a month of main events on WCW Worldwide:

11/2/91 - Johnny B Badd vs Beautiful Bobby

11/9/91 - Sting vs Cactus Jack

11/16/91 - PN News vs Mr Hughes

11/23/91 - Firebreaker Chip vs Larry Zbyszko

11/30/91 - Big Josh vs Thomas Rich

I have a question/request for the thread: Last night before bed, I popped in WCW/nWo Revenge and ended up playing a Finlay/Meng match that was pretty fun. Then, I wondered if they wrestled each other on TV one-on-one during the Nitro era. I couldn't find a match like this with some searching, but does anyone know if these two had a match on one of the C-Shows at any point?

"Submit or Surrrender" was a month of main events on WCW Worldwide: 11/2/91 - Johnny B Badd vs Beautiful Bobby 11/9/91 - Sting vs Cactus Jack 11/16/91 - PN News vs Mr Hughes 11/23/91 - Firebreaker Chip vs Larry Zbyszko 11/30/91 - Big Josh vs Thomas Rich

I remember that. Even as a 10 year old, I wondered why WCW was giving away a Sting vs Cactus Jack match on free tv. And I was absolutely gutted by the injustice of the finish to PN News vs Mr Hughes.

we didn't have Prime here, but going thru some of the results, i believe they had the exact same matches as Worldwide, just with different commentary. Worldwide aired late Saturday nights, like 11pm or 1am or something. i loved staying up to catch the matchups and would mark out if Macho Man was on.

I always wondered about Prime, but also never had it. I had a choice of watching Worldwide either Saturday night at 2 AM (which was convenient because it was right after Shotgun at 12 and ECW on MSG at 1) or the following afternoon (which was sometimes nice to do because this was pre-Heat so unless there was a PPV, there was no wrestling on Sunday other than Pro, but that wasn't til 5:05. Superstars was just a Raw recap by that point, which I had probably re-watched via Livewire the day before). The vibe I'm getting from googling around is that Prime was exclusive to some weird ass satellite channel possibly also called Prime Sports. Can anyone confirm?

For the hell of it, here's an episode of Prime I found. STUNNING STEVE AUSTIN VS TIM HORNER! Dusty and Tony on commentary

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x1lf49_TSteck160_wcw-prime-wrestling-4-3-95/1#video=xidawk

Dusty with some great commentary a few seconds into Alex Wright vs. Romeo Cassanova: "Romo Cassanova?!? Romo, Romo where fore art thou, Romo?"

I have a question/request for the thread: Last night before bed, I popped in WCW/nWo Revenge and ended up playing a Finlay/Meng match that was pretty fun. Then, I wondered if they wrestled each other on TV one-on-one during the Nitro era. I couldn't find a match like this with some searching, but does anyone know if these two had a match on one of the C-Shows at any point?

A quick search shows me that there was a Finlay/Meng match on the 1/10/98 episode of Saturday Night. I'm still trying to find video though. All that's coming up for me is a Faces of Fear/Blue Bloods match on Nitro and a bunch of WCW hardcore title stuff from 2000 that they were both involved in.

• Like 1

Not sure why I wrote Blue Bloods by accident, my bad dude. My brain isn't working today. I took the day off work, so I'm just laying around eating Mexican food and watching some guy who looks like a weird, effeminate version of Curtis Axel get screamed at by Steve Wilkos. Gotta love shitty daytime TV.