DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

I think Monsoon was doing European commentary only.

I would definitely air that on a "Lost Gem" show. 

Any idea why he wasn't being used on American programming?

I remember Gorilla sitting in the booth for a Daniels/TAKA match on Shotgun with I think Kevin Kelley.  Monsoon working that late kinda reminds me of Ventura doing bottom barrel WCW stuff through 95.

Saw a Duggan vs Arn match from maybe the 1/7/95 Worldwide (it's on youtube, the whole thing) and it was actually quite good. Duggan did a great job selling his back and Arn made a very good foil for him. Crap ending but past that it's one of the better late Duggan matches I've seen.

Man I remember watching that match on TV.  I used to stay up late on Saturdays to watch Worldwide.  It came on between SNL and Showtime at the Apollo.  This period was my first exposure to the Fantastics, and I became a fan, and Harlem Heat were my favorite team.  Loved this match.

I have always enjoyed hearing people's routines around watching wrestling from the 90s. For me, DC, Worldwide came on at 1 PM on WDCA 20. I went to Karate Class at 10-12. Father drove me home, usually had some food from the seafood spot near the Karate Studio and we would make it right around 1 for me to catch Worldwide.

That is why this song is so special to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Monsoon was doing European commentary only.

I would definitely air that on a "Lost Gem" show.

Any idea why he wasn't being used on American programming?

Maybe it's for the better he wasn't. I loved Gorilla Monsoon's work with Jesse and especially with Bobby Heenan, but I imagine he probably wasn't in the best of health, having lost his son and his own physical health.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out this piece of shit. The Armstrongs and PG-13 are both feuding with the Mamalukes and so are the Harris Brothers I guess. The Harris Brothers pay off the Armstrongs and PG-13 or something, I don't know. None of this matters. Seemingly everyone in the match is wearing jeans and half of them have t-shirts on too. People keep tagging in members of opposing teams. Then you get the best part, when Vito and Johnny get tagged in against each other and Vito tries to pin his own partner. Then Zbysko says "That's a great plan, they would've won their own belts" and Scott Hudson starts trying to explain that apparently you can pin your own partner in a three-way tag and win the match as long as you're both legally tagged in. This is pretty much where I zoned out.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsa2ol_mamalukes-vs-pg-13-vs-scott-and-steve-armstrong_sport

Saw a Duggan vs Arn match from maybe the 1/7/95 Worldwide (it's on youtube, the whole thing) and it was actually quite good. Duggan did a great job selling his back and Arn made a very good foil for him. Crap ending but past that it's one of the better late Duggan matches I've seen.

I remember Duggan being quite good a few times in WCW. He's definitely one of those guys where you can tell the difference b/t his "alright, let's have a good match" and his "fuck it, let's do this and get paid" mentalities.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit dude...  Let me recommend 1994 WCW Saturday night from the first episode of the year until at least the end of July.

WATCH FUCKING EVERYTHING.  It's the flagship show of my all-time favorite time/place in pro wrestling history.

• Like 2

The year starts with Parker managing Austin and kinda feuding with both Dustin and Pillman, but one by one he starts bringing guys in to keep Dustin away from Austin's U.S. title, which is where the whole Rhodes vs. Studd Stable feud starts. 

If you have the Network, you could start around Halloween Havoc or Starcade '93 to get a bit more of the backstory on the feud, but the deeply personal shit is all right there on WCWSN along with the Clashes and PPVs.

It's hard to pick a few specific gems from a company that had Dustin Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat, Stunning Steve, Ric Flair, Cactus Jack, Vader, Arn Anderson, Brian Pillman, Lord Steven Regal, Terry Funk, Bunkhouse Buck, and more~! all running around having matches with each other, but the first that springs to mind (and I don't know the date, but I'm thinking around June) is a Sting/Steamboat vs. Austin/Flair tag that is out of this world great.  As well it should be, given that it's Sting/Steamboat/Austin/Flair in the same match.

• Like 1

Check out this piece of shit. The Armstrongs and PG-13 are both feuding with the Mamalukes and so are the Harris Brothers I guess. The Harris Brothers pay off the Armstrongs and PG-13 or something, I don't know. None of this matters. Seemingly everyone in the match is wearing jeans and half of them have t-shirts on too. People keep tagging in members of opposing teams. Then you get the best part, when Vito and Johnny get tagged in against each other and Vito tries to pin his own partner. Then Zbysko says "That's a great plan, they would've won their own belts" and Scott Hudson starts trying to explain that apparently you can pin your own partner in a three-way tag and win the match as long as you're both legally tagged in. This is pretty much where I zoned out.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsa2ol_mamalukes-vs-pg-13-vs-scott-and-steve-armstrong_sport

It's the "Outlaw rule".  WWE made a rule after the Outlaws pinned each other to win a 3 way that  you could no longer do that.  Before that point, it was common practice for teams to attempt that.  WCW never adapted their rule.

I'm thinking that WCW ran that spot first with the Outsiders in 96 though

I know they attempted it, I just don't think they were ever successful like the Outlaws were with it.  I remember the 3 way with the Nasties and Faces of Fear.  The Outsiders definitely attempted it there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just acquired WCW Saturday Night 1994 and 1999 (and Heat 1999). Can anyone recommend matches from these seasons? I have seen Regal vs Zbysko from 1994 but not much else!

I've just spent a silly amount of time looking at Heat results from 99 on HistoryofWWE and here's things that have jumped out at me from a WTF standpoint in that way that only C shows can:

Lion's Den Match: Owen Hart vs. Steve Blackman - 1/10

Shane McMahon vs. Gillberg - 2/21

Public Enemy vs. The Hardys - 2/28

Boiler Room Brawl: Mankind vs. Bossman - 5/2

Al Snow vs. Head - 5/9

Dudley Boys vs. Jericho and Curtis Hughes - 10/10

Rikishi vs. Tracy Smothers - 11/21

I know this is a WCW thread but god damn if those matches aren't in the spirit of WCW random match pairings (and stipulations).

I know they attempted it, I just don't think they were ever successful like the Outlaws were with it.  I remember the 3 way with the Nasties and Faces of Fear.  The Outsiders definitely attempted it there.

WWF did it at the Raw Bowl earlier in the year.

WWF did it at the Raw Bowl earlier in the year.

Very very slight memory, but was that in a joke spot?