DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

• 1 month later...

Man, one of the best things about pre-nWo WCW was the completely unnatural yet 100% believable babyface run of Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert. 

His Beauty & The Beast US Tag Title run with Rick Steiner was fucking golden.

And yeah, the finish of that match is totally king sized!

• Like 1

He also had some bomb ass wrestling boots, too, even though I still have a soft spot in my heart for AA's old school monstrosities especially when he does the rake across the eyes spot with the part of his boot where the laces run up and down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Man, one of the best things about pre-nWo WCW was the completely unnatural yet 100% believable babyface run of Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert. 

Am I the only one that finds it odd that you referred to this as "pre-nwo"? I could understand if you were talking about something that happened in February 96, but 1990?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, george young said:

Am I the only one that finds it odd that you referred to this as "pre-nwo"? I could understand if you were talking about something that happened in February 96, but 1990?

I would have gone with pre-Bischoff and Hogan fucking everything up.

• Like 1

I don't remember who it was on the board sometime back...but I totally agree that we missed out on the ascension of Steve Austin as the man and main event heel of the late 90s. We also missed out on his continued epics with Dustin. You could tell they were being groomed as a package up the card, and would have been a credible World Title program. 1994 was soooo good before Hulk and Friends crossed over.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:39 PM, george young said:

Yes, it is odd that you think that way.  WCW really didn't really go through nearly as many transitional eras like the WWE did, even when JCP got bought out by Turner and the fed began to shake its ties with the NWA..

Either the Horseman ran things or the nWo ran things. 

Meanwhile WWE was in a constant state of trying to re-invent itself through the Golden Era, The Attitude Era, the New Generation era, and Lord knows what else while trying to compete against the viewer drawing magic of two of the most famous stables in pro wrestling history.

I was thinking about the awesomeness of the very underrated Mean Mike Enos at lunch today so:

• Like 1

And we conclude with the canned entrance music written by Howard Helm and Jimmy Hart.

Jerry Flynn, The Mauler, and Rick Steiner also made ring entrances to this.

So did a guy named Bill Goldberg until he got his own music.

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes, it is odd that you think that way.  WCW really didn't really go through nearly as many transitional eras like the WWE did, even when JCP got bought out by Turner and the fed began to shake its ties with the NWA..

Either the Horseman ran things or the nWo ran things. 

Not necessarily. What about the Dangerous Alliance Era? And there were about 3 years of the 8 "pre nwo" wcw years when there was no Horsemen at all (late 88-late 89 and mid 91-mid 93).

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Not necessarily. What about the Dangerous Alliance Era? And there were about 3 years of the 8 "pre nwo" wcw years when there was no Horsemen at all (late 88-late 89 and mid 91-mid 93).

Was there really a DA Era?  Did they really set the tone of competition the way the Horseman did? Not really.  The DA was a good stable and had a good run, but they were placeholders.

WCW was still pretty much Horseman country the entire time even when they weren't prominently displayed, IMO.

Calling the whole 8 years of WCW before the NWO "The Horsemen Era" just seems inaccurate given that the group wasn't in the promotion for 40% of those years, IMO.

There are definitely defined eras in pre-NWO WCW. The Jim Herd Era, Kip Frey Era, Bill Watts Era, and the Eric Bischoff Era. And there's  probably someone in between Watts and  Bischoff.  The promotion had different looks based on who was in charge during those years. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Calling the whole 8 years of WCW before the NWO "The Horsemen Era" just seems inaccurate given that the group wasn't in the promotion for 40% of those years, IMO.

There are definitely defined eras in pre-NWO WCW. The Jim Herd Era, Kip Frey Era, Bill Watts Era, and the Eric Bischoff Era. And there's  probably someone in between Watts and  Bischoff.  The promotion had different looks based on who was in charge during those years. 

I can dig that.  Bookers have their nuances ergo Watts was not shy about putting titles on African Americans but that being said, you really didn't see the fed being jarred all that thematically due to booking until things transitioned from Watts to Bischoff.

Even when Vader was a dominant World Champion, IMO, it still felt like things would eventually transition to a Horseman centric focus.  Which it did until eventually the nWo showed up and that was that.

The caveat being that I am old and grumpy and wistful when it comes to 80's, 90's, and early 2000's WCW.  I am annoyingly good ol' days like that, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I don't even think you can lay the blame at Bischoff's door really - he made a lot of great improvements to WCW in 94, especially in regard to production and appearance, it was solely Hulk coming in with his absurd contract that was the beginning of the end

• Like 1