DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

I had it same as Zero with 116-112. I gave Maidana 3 of the the first 6 rounds. But after Mayweather came on, I thought Maidana's work diminished. Floyd definitely tagged him with the cleaner shots in the second half of the fight. I thought Maidana had only good rally round but he didn't sustain it. Mayweather was landing straight rights, right crosses, bouncing his head up with the uppercut, and check left hooks at will in five of the last six rounds.

Amir Khan was tonight's big loser. He couldn't finish off Colozzo, almost got himself in huge trouble, looked ok but not great against an average opponent and now has to wait for Mayweather and Maidana to settle things with a rematch.

NOT MENTIONED YET: Mayweather had a bunch of clowns in his entourage. Also, there were clowns.

• Like 1

Love is probably one of the most frustrating fighters to watch and probably the best TMT guy. He does plenty of things right and has a trainer in Eddie Mustafa Muhammad who gives him the confidence to do it, but he really doesn't step to the plate to take advantage. Periban is a kind of stiff and you would think Love would blow him out. Even though I was trying to watch three different things at once, it was clear that Love wasn't doing that. Should have did better against journeyman Findley and honestly should've lost to Rosado. Did what he needed to against Simon. You're basically watching him try to get better on the job and that's kinda frustrating.

The Twitter meltdown when the scorecards were read was fucking hilarious. All I saw for a good 30 minutes were people bitching about how Maidana threw 2x as many punches as Floyd like it matters when he whiffed on almost 70% of them.

I had it 115-113 Mayweather personally. Damn good fight. If they go through with the rematch, I think Maidana gets worked, though.

I'm pretty ok with the decision.  I had it 5-1 for Maidana through 6, but Floyd definitely took over after that.  By far the most exciting Mayweather fight in years, and one of the few times I can recall him being in trouble for a spot.  I wouldn't have faulted anyone for giving a few more rounds to Maidana, but it was Mayweather's fight in the second half.  I'm just happy that I watched a Mayweather fight and wasn't bored out of my mind for a change.  Cotto and Castillo are the only other guys to get that from him in my memory.

I had it 3-3 after 6 and then Floyd took over. I'd say maybe Maidana snuck out another round. I was watching Warriors/Clippers also though. The thing that got me was the judge who scored it 117-111. What the fuck was he watching? No way Maidana only won two of those first six.... 

Also, Broner is a fuckhead and I really do hope he is granted his wish because Pac Man will take his soul.

• Like 2

115-113 Mayweather or a 114-114 Draw seems legit.

The scores of 117-111 and 116-112 are the same scores the judges had Mayweather winning with in the Canelo fight, and that fight was a slaughter compared to this this one.

Amir Khan was tonight's big loser. He couldn't finish off Colozzo, almost got himself in huge trouble, looked ok but not great against an average opponent and now has to wait for Mayweather and Maidana to settle things with a rematch.

NOT MENTIONED YET: Mayweather had a bunch of clowns in his entourage. Also, there were clowns.

I'd love to be the dude who's seemingly employed to shout 'TBE!' 

I know little about boxing, so he may actually be a great trainer or financial analyst. But he's just the annoying 'TBE!' shouter to me.

The Corrales before the Mayweather fight would beat any of the LWs now save for maybe Titere Vazquez. 135 has fallen on hard times. Prime Corrales vs. Gamboa and Garcia at 130 would be very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Not long to go now till Froch vs. Groves II. Looking forward to that one.

Epic build for this one.

First fight was terrific. So looking forward to this. My Dad is as well, it's his birthday tomorrow.

• Like 1