DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

Sad news as Magomed Abdusalamov is now in a medically induced coma due to suffering a blood clot on his brain during his amazing fight last night on HBO with Mike Perez. If you didn't see it, it was a war on par with some of the best 90's heavyweight fights. Mago also suffered a broken left hand and a broken nose. Let's hope he fully recovers.

Sad news as Magomed Abdusalamov is now in a medically induced coma due to suffering a blood clot on his brain during his amazing fight last night on HBO with Mike Perez. If you didn't see it, it was a war on par with some of the best 90's heavyweight fights. Mago also suffered a broken left hand and a broken nose. Let's hope he fully recovers.

Damn, and right after Leal's death. I hate to say it, but it's far past time for boxing to either be banned completely or seriously regulated. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, (as a huge MMA fan and still a boxing follower), but the difference in MMA and boxing is light years in terms of safety for the participants. For one, the goal in MMA is not to bash the other guy in the head until his brain is bouncing around inside his skull, and for all we bitch about premature stoppages, at least we haven't seen anyone beaten to death on primetime tv.

What's it going to take, a beloved star like Manny being put into a coma? No, that will get swept under the rug with comments about "not prepared", "medically cleared", a fluke, yadda, yadda, yadda), and then business as usual...

• 3 weeks later...

Froch v Groves was shaping up to be brilliant when it was stopped.

Groves destroyed Froch for the first 6 rounds, Froch must be made of concrete, a lesser man would have been gone a few times, he absorbed a lot of punishment.

He was slowly comin back into it and had the better of Groves for the first time in the bout, then the ref stopped it.

Loved the face/heel dynamic and double turn :)  Groves booed into the arena and cheered out, Froch turning heel by default and giving a Cena-esque promo about respect and the crowd shitting on it.

Turning to the Pac-Man, he was very good, the Mayweather / Bradley chat will start again, but I cant see either happening.

Just watched the end of Froch vs. Groves. Did Zuffa pay off that ref to bring the corrupt talk back to boxing? WTF was that?

Haven't watched the fight but listened to the radio commentary. Most are saying it's a crap stoppage.

With a boxing fatality and 2 guys punched into comas over the last 4 weeks you are going to see quick stoppages for awhile

Just watched the end of Froch vs. Groves. Did Zuffa pay off that ref to bring the corrupt talk back to boxing? WTF was that?

Haven't watched the fight but listened to the radio commentary. Most are saying it's a crap stoppage.

With a boxing fatality and 2 guys punched into comas over the last 4 weeks you are going to see quick stoppages for awhile

Early stoppages can cause frustration but still give me an early one over a late one all the time.

• Like 1

Kovalev is the truth.  I still remember the fight with Simakov where poor Roman lapsed into a coma and died right after he was KOed in the fight.  Kovalev was classy enough to give his share of the purse from his assbeating of Darnell Boone to Simakov's family.

That KO of Sillakh was just as scary.  Kovalev does not know his own power.

• 2 weeks later...

Broner vs Maidana was alot of fun.  I was so nervous that the Texas judges would fuck up that decision.  Maidana just beat him in every way.  I hope this means I never have to see Broner again.  Such a classless piece of shit.  Between humping Maidana, all the crying to the ref, the Lebron level flop and all the pushing, dude was a straight bitch all night.

• Like 1

How sad it is that boxing is so corrupt that after a decisive victory like that, the announcers still have to parse their words as to who won?  On a sad note, I did not get to see Broner's hair get brushed.

Line of the night after the decision was announced, "problem solved".  That said everything.

Broner after the headbutt....

• Like 1