DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

Tony Weeks saved Angulo from nine minutes more of potential brain rattling from Canelo Alvarez. Discuss.

Yeah, controversial stoppage my ass.  Angulo was a battered mess and Canelo wanted to send a message that he was still in the hunt and was showcasing the lessons learned from the Mayweather fight at the expense of Angulo's health.  Weeks did the right thing when he called it after that vicious uppercut.. 

If Weeks had given Canelo his clean finish and let Alvarez destroy the guy, the story would be about how Weeks should resign because he had no regard for Angulo's health and allowed him to be beaten to a pulp just for the sake of a clear stoppage.

So I take it no one else saw Danny Garcia get handed a gift decision last night.  Puerto Rico judges trying to compete with Texas.

To be fair, one judge was from Panama (Padilla 114-114) and the other two were from SoCal/Mexico (Rochin 116-112) and Puerto Rico (Colon 116-112). Rochin is usually a solid judge.

I watched the fight this morning while getting ready for work.

I had the fight a draw at 114.  This fight is proof positive that boxing is all about match-ups.  Garcia has had convincing wins recently over big names like Zab Judah, Lucas Mattysse, Erik Morales, and Amir Khan but he absolutely struggled in there against Herrera.  I could've seen Herrera winning that by split decision.

Great night of fights on NBC Sports.

Stevens/Johnson and Mansour/Cunningham were both super fun action fights.

Had Stevens down by 7 rounds till his crazy 10th round TKO and Mansour/Cunningham looked like it was done in the 5th till USS pulled it all out and came back from multiple knockdowns.

Check them out if you didn't watch them.

Guest Edwin

What a great fight.

Manny clearly won that fight. I had Bradley winning at best 4 rounds, 3 of the first half and the 11th round.

Bradley tried to goad Manny in and land a big one shot KO like Márquez, but it backfired.

That or he was just looking for a big payday and a rematch.

Bradley tore his calf muscle somewhere around Round 4 or 5.  Pac swarmed all over him.   To Bradley's credit, he got the left side of his face punched over a hundred times very hard but still did not quit or get knocked the fuck out.  The knot under Bradley's left eye looked like someone surgically placed a golf ball there.

Great win for Pac.  Hope he retires because this is a better way to remember him than having the last image of him be facedown on the canvas after being slugged into a stupor by Morales.

The replay will be on HBO next Saturday to dudes with cable & premium channels.

I agree.  Mayweather-Pac will never ever happen, so I'd like to see him retire very soon.  He exorcised probably his greatest demon with Bradley in convincing fashion.  Go out on top.  Of course, he probably won't.  I wanted JMM to retire after knocking out Manny, but he had to go get embarrassed by Bradley.