DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/8 - 4/14/2024 - The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Welcome everyone to the Cody Rhodes era of WWE!  Roman Reigns' title run ended last night at 1,316 days and good lord that's just amazing to think about.  

But... We also had a bunch of title changes too! Bayley is your new WWE Women's Champion! Sami Zayn is the new Intercontinental Champion! Oh and after Drew McIntyre won his 2nd World championship, we had a CASH IN~!

Raw is now the Rhea Ripley (who did NOT lose her title... lol screw you Becky) and Damien Priest show!  Let's see where Goth Chyna and Bisexual Undertaker's adventures take them as we begin the road to Minneapolis and WrestleMania XLI! 

• Haha 4

I fancy tonight's RAW to be one of the best RAW after Mania's. Can't be worse than last year's. Not only the worst RAW after Mania's ever, one of the worst wrestling events I've ever seen.

18 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Maybe they’ll announce the next draft 

PL said in an interview the draft is happening in May

• Thanks 1

Props to Damien Priest for hustling and getting to where he’s at. I thought he looked soft as fuck coming from ROH to NXT, he had some shit gimmicks, I really doubted how much Judgment Day would work, and he made the very most of it all. And he did it all with a major transition in leadership at NXT and even more changes in leadership and ownership on the main roster.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kang said:

I would like to see Matt Hardy retire in WWE. He turns 50 years old this year. 

You can have him. He's looked beyond washed up in AEW. 

I tried giving Raw a try again. After the opening promo, I was ready to tap out. On top of it, Pat McAfee is beyond terrible. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get invested in anything. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Happy R-Truth was able to team with his childhood hero in John Cena.

Good seeing Ilja Dragunov, the NXT Champion. Don't like Torpedo Moscow. The H-Bomb is way better.

Glad Sheamus is on the comeback. Missed him.

• Like 1

"That bondage Undertaker, Damian Priest screwed it all up. I'd say I'd whip your arse but you'd probably like that."

Drew McIntyre's the best.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

Remember when Raw after Mania used to be exciting? Yeesh.

A damn near HOUR long HHH/Cody/Rock segment to open the show, two NXT cameos, a Jade squash straight outta Rampage, and a whole lot of nothing. That sucked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

The Rock seemed stoned tonight. Just 40 minutes of rambling nonsense. The bit with them exchanging belts was utterly bizarre.

I think that may have been the first time I heard a "THIS IS AWKWARD" chant, because yeah, that was awkward.

I still liked the segment, but thought it would have been better if Cody said, sure, you can hold this title...when you beat me for it and pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

• Like 5

BTW, I still don't get what is up with the Rock's cadence and dialect. He's been channeling a southern slave owner for weeks now and then the newest wrinkle he threw in was weirdly pronouncing names and other words. Made me forget about HHH saying "hyperbowl."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

BTW, I still don't get what is up with the Rock's cadence and dialect. He's been channeling a southern slave owner for weeks now and then the newest wrinkle he threw in was weirdly pronouncing names and other words. Made me forget about HHH saying "hyperbowl."

Now, I'm gonna wish the Rock came back looking like Col. Robert Parker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Yeah that opening segment between Cody Rhodes and The Rock dragged. The belt swap was lame.

This wasn't a vintage RAW after WrestleMania but I liked it and it wasn't as fucking terrible as last year's, one of the worst shows in 34 years watching wrestling.

It was a fun and enjoyable Raw for me. It really flowed well for me which isn't something that's always the case.

It was a nice surprise to see Ilja and Roxanne get feature matches tonight. Did feel like both of them were emoting a little bit more than usual as if to give the audience an idea of who they are. Was nice to see that Cole even dropped that Ilja was the last person to pin Gunther prior to Sami.

Thought they did a good job of continuing storylines with Candice's heel turn/Indi's hesitance, Liv wanting revenge, R-Truth thinking that he's still in Judgment Day, and Gable's IC quest. Not a whole lot of new ground was broken but I don't think they really needed to, plus it's kinda not that surprising with both the impending draft and the quick turnaround for Backlash.

Jey winning the 4-way seemed to be the logical pick and CM Punk costing Drew the match also seemed pretty predictable but it was still fun getting to it. With the short build and how over Jey is, he seems like a good first challenger for Priest.

Tonight's production note: I liked the one continuous shot of Dom/Rhea talking going into Liv attacking Rhea into Dom telling the camera to get out of there which led to the camera going out to ringside for a match.

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Looking forward to Sami Zayn vs. Chad Gable on RAW in Montreal next week.

I look forward to Gable finally snapping after losing to Sami.

• Like 2

This sure was an interesting RAW after Mania. I did not expect them to dedicate most of the commercial free hour to a Rock promo that went absolutely nowhere. The Rock came off as someone who was defeated more than Roman was the night before. "Can I just hold the title" was so lame. Cody looked like a idiot by not saying fuck no (or something more pg). The whole segment just came off weird. It would have been better if The Rock just didn't show up tonight.

On the flip side when Judgement Day were out and posing the with belts and R-Truth materialized from thin air to pose with them, I couldn't stop laughing. We got a usual Judgement Day match which is neither good nor bad. All three guys are good at what they do so I really can't say anything bad about them. I'm just not sold on Priest being a world champion. The match though was fun and I loved Cena's run in and hot tag and everyone doing the five knuckle shuffle and AA. That was a fun moment.

Poor Chelsea. No one takes a squash quite like she does. I thought Jade was on Smackdown though. Ehh, when has that ever mattered.

Main event was all right. By process of elimination I knew Bronson wasn't winning. Also neither was Richochet. Then half way through the match I remembered this was for Priest's title...not Cody. So there went Drew's chances. CM Punk screwing Drew was funny though. Let them have a meme war to end all meme wars. Jey Uso wins by default.

• Like 3

Paid next to no attention to this but I did glean two things:

1. WWE took one look at Jade and said "we'll take her with no changes, it'll work just fine" because they already wanted an Ultimate Warrior for the women's division. All the talk about "reps" and match length and everything can just stop, they're gonna pull out the fog machine and the reflective glass if they have to, she's not being forced to get any better than this.

2. Cena needs to hit up Ted Danson for a good hairpiece manufacturer.

Oh and I guess Sheamus isn't hurt anymore so that's good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1